Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Running a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate. Have a older ATV ( software version 3.0.1 and the latest Itunes ) connected wireless. It is working right now; streaming all content. How do I get it to sync my photos. Doesn't give me that option anywhere in Itunes. When I click on the name of my ATV; all it will show is the ATV's name; software version and serial number; none of the additional info re syncing is listed at all.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Running a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate. Have a older ATV ( software version 3.0.1 and the latest Itunes ) connected wireless. It is working right now; streaming all content. How do I get it to sync my photos. Doesn't give me that option anywhere in Itunes. When I click on the name of my ATV; all it will show is the ATV's name; software version and serial number; none of the additional info re syncing is listed at all.

it should give you the option to sync or stream if memory serves me correct. its been a while since I synced any of my older ATV's

pilot25dmc

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Its in the main settings for the Apple TV 'on' the Apple TV.

When you connect it for the first time and enter the code on the host computer you have 2 choices, one is for streaming and the other is for on-board storage. It looks like you choose the streaming option.

Just go back to the Apple TV setup and re-connect to your library using the other option.

Once thats done you will be given the option of syncing your media.

womenintec

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Shared photos etc.

I too have apple tv, but I have a macintosh. I finally got it set up, but I don't see how to get it to recognize my photographs. I entered the codes and it shows the connection to my iphone. But it doesn't see my pictures.

Thanks for any help.

Tommy

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Its in the main settings for the Apple TV 'on' the Apple TV.

When you connect it for the first time and enter the code on the host computer you have 2 choices, one is for streaming and the other is for on-board storage. It looks like you choose the streaming option.

Just go back to the Apple TV setup and re-connect to your library using the other option.

Once thats done you will be given the option of syncing your media.

I can't get it to show those choices. Like I said; all it shows is a page with two tabs on top; one for "Settings" and in this tab it gives me the name of my ATV; It's capacity; it's software version and it's serial number. Nothing below in regards to syncing like it did before. The other tab is for "Photos"; this just asks what directory my photos are in.
I have no problem with the ATV streaming all my movies; TV shows and music; it's the photos that I want to sync.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Unless I have completely misunderstood the question...

I'm not sure where these other posters are getting their info, but it is all in the iTunes software - not on the ATV itself. Unless things are radically different under Windows...

When you have the ATV selected in the left source listing, you see the info screen that you described - with the serial number and software version. You should have a box on that first screen that is labelled "Sync" and have the option to select "Automatic" or "Custom" sync.

screen-capture-1.png

To stream, you would have "Custom" checked. You can then select the "Photos" tab running across the top of that iTunes box and from there you can choose to sync photos and choose the albums, events, or faces that you want to choose.

screen-capture-1-1.png

This pics are of my setup and it works exactly as it should. I stream video and sync photos.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Unless I have completely misunderstood the question...

I'm not sure where these other posters are getting their info, but it is all in the iTunes software - not on the ATV itself. Unless things are radically different under Windows...

When you have the ATV selected in the left source listing, you see the info screen that you described - with the serial number and software version. You should have a box on that first screen that is labelled "Sync" and have the option to select "Automatic" or "Custom" sync.

screen-capture-1.png

To stream, you would have "Custom" checked. You can then select the "Photos" tab running across the top of that iTunes box and from there you can choose to sync photos and choose the albums, events, or faces that you want to choose.

screen-capture-1-1.png

This pics are of my setup and it works exactly as it should. I stream video and sync photos.

Like I said; the bottom half of that screen did not show. However; I did manage to rectify my problem to a certain extent by turning of all reference to "Sharing" my library on my "Home Network"! I than rebooted the ATV and when I signed in on Itunes it gave me the proper screen and immediately tried to sync all the content. I than turned of the syncing for everything except my photos. I choose the folder for my photos that I wanted to sync and immediately got an error that my ATV was not responding; this after it tried to sync everything. I checked the ATV and was successful in playing a movie; this after Itunes informed me that my ATV was not responding. I than told Itunes to sync one movie that I checked of; I immediately got an error message stating that the ATV could not sync because it was busy; but would automatically sync when it was free. I turned of the movie and it is now syncing! What it is syncing; I don't know. Itunes shows that it is syncing but not what. Is it the movie or is it the photos??? I guess time will tell! The capacity bar is not moving at all.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Like I said; the bottom half of that screen did not show. However; I did manage to rectify my problem to a certain extent by turning of all reference to "Sharing" my library on my "Home Network"! I than rebooted the ATV and when I signed in on Itunes it gave me the proper screen and immediately tried to sync all the content. I than turned of the syncing for everything except my photos. I choose the folder for my photos that I wanted to sync and immediately got an error that my ATV was not responding; this after it tried to sync everything. I checked the ATV and was successful in playing a movie; this after Itunes informed me that my ATV was not responding. I than told Itunes to sync one movie that I checked of; I immediately got an error message stating that the ATV could not sync because it was busy; but would automatically sync when it was free. I turned of the movie and it is now syncing! What it is syncing; I don't know. Itunes shows that it is syncing but not what. Is it the movie or is it the photos??? I guess time will tell! The capacity bar is not moving at all.
Well I got it to sync; had to shut it down and restart. Now instead of just syncing my photos; which it has completed; it is trying to sync my movies; all 836 of them; even though I have it set to NOT sync movies; TV show or my music. I just shut it down again; of course, that means I have to sync my photos again. Around and around we go!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.