Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxtrot01

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Hello,
I just got a macbook, I am trying to debate between getting MS office for apple or Iworks. I come from a pc so I know how MS Word works, one of my coworkers insists not to install MS office on my macbook becuase it will clog the whole system and will be unbearable.
I have access to the MS office for apple and I would have to buy Iworks.
I mainly need Word for my resume and for school work.
Any one has had any experience with MS Office for apple, will I encounter all those problems my co-worker says I would have?
Any suggestions?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Depends on what you need. iWork is great for personal use but if you need cross-platform compatibility or high-end features, it can be a little limiting.

My choice would be OpenOffice. A good percentage of the power of MSOffice and good compatibility (you can set it up to save natively to MS doctypes) without the added bloat. Having said that MSOffice for Mac is in some ways superior to the Windows version. Your colleague is over-reacting rather ;)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Having used both on a Mac, I can say that I like iWorks a lot better. Your co-worker isn't right on the fact that it clogs up the whole system. MS Word runs very well on Macs, it just isn't my cup of tea. If you use MS word and you like it better, then by all means get it.

InfinityFX

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I think he's a bit misinformed. I have MS Office 2011 on my Macbook under OS X 10.6.5 and it's very fast. Definitely faster than Office 2008, and it is more intuitive IMO.

Haven't tried iWorks, so I can't comment on that.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you have Office 2011, do that. I just bought it yesterday, and I must say I am pleased. Has a similar feel to Office 07, and is plenty fast.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I have been using Office 2011 since the beta and am completely satisfied.

It's a no brainer for compatibility and document sharing. In my world I wouldn't even consider iWork.

And I don't know what "clogging" your system means. It's no different than any other major application for the mac.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I have both. I prefer iWork – Pages, Keynote and Numbers. But because I need to send and edit Word and Powerpoint docs between colleagues, I have Office just for those documents. Still have the 2008 version in fact and have no problems with it, the 2011 I hear is much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.