Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
For the past few days, when I hit my back button to go back a page or exit a forum, it is not taking me back to the spot on the page where I was earlier. It takes me to the top of the page. Seems to happen about 75% of the time and in many different areas of the site. BTW, using Safari, latest build. Anyone else experiencing this?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sometimes there is a "lag" time before it relocates position for me. I attibuted that to the busy server, but what do I know. I was just glad to avoid the "busy server" screen! :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The forum software was updated to vBulletin 3.0.4 last week. I've noticed a few little differences in behavior too.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
rdowns said:
For the past few days, when I hit my back button to go back a page or exit a forum, it is not taking me back to the spot on the page where I was earlier. It takes me to the top of the page. Seems to happen about 75% of the time and in many different areas of the site. BTW, using Safari, latest build. Anyone else experiencing this?

Wow it is like finding a buddy who was also taken by aliens .... I have the same thing and it drives me nuts. I do have it with more sites and at first I thought it was a difference between firefox Mac vs PC. It must be a setting but haven't found it yet. I sure hope it is not a site specific server setting.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Are you ever going to fix this?

This problem is making reading the forums a hassle.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't think there is anything we can fix. As far as I know, this is just how this version of vBulletin works. I've noticed that it handles cached pages differently, allowing browsers to use a local copy, which isn't correct if you go back to a page that has since changed. So I end up refreshing more often if I know I'm returning to a page that has new posts.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i often get the site is too busy message and also problems loading the forums it will just hang there for ages ? maybe it this piece of crud windblows box im using at work here though ?

o , on a different note i love the message you get when looking at applelegal.com with a Microsoft browser THAT is too funny

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
rdowns said:

This isn't anything we've done differently... haven't changed anything. I think it's more of a browser behavior.

arn

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
arn said:
This isn't anything we've done differently... haven't changed anything. I think it's more of a browser behavior.

arn

The server update seems to have fixed this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.