Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
We have alot of convoluted threads going on this thing, and I have been reading for some time on it, and have decided to make a thread with INFORMATION on the mac mini. There will be NO arguments, comparisons, which should I buy, etc. Links are fine, but they need to lead to Mini Info!

Here is a list I have so far, it will be added to as I get time!

Apple Mini Page, see apples specs on this unit:

Mac Mini Apple Page

I have found the following links to some good pics on the mac mini:

External pics (these abound, but here are some better ones with different angles):

Gizmondo Pics

Good pics, PLUS system profiler information for a "High End" mini

Internal Pics:

Mainboard, good closeups

General Mac Mini Info / Faq's answered:

Warranty ?'s, Ram replacement

Mac Fixit, a few common questions answered / Surmised here!

Well, thats what I have so far, if you have anything good, please post it, and it will be added to this list. Keep the discussion to TECHNICAL aspects / info on the mac mini!

Thanks

Bill

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
What is Inside a Mac Mini? Lets figure it out!

If anyone has exact specs on any item INSIDE a Mac Mini, for example, manufacturer, speed, type, etc, please post here. I hope to have a full list of the main components within a few days! Here is what I have so far:

Mac Mini $499
1.25Ghz G4 (I have heard 7447, but this is unverified)
Video: Radeon 9200 32mb
Harddrive: 2.5" 40GB Laptop (Unknown type/model)
Combo Drive: Slimline Slot load CD-RW/DVD-ROM - Matshita CW-8123 Specs

Mac Mini $599
1.42Ghz G4 (Same as above, suspect 7447, but this is unverified!)
Video: Radeon 9200 32mb
Harddrive: 80gb 4200rpm 2.5" laptop - Toshiba MK8025GAS Link
Combo Drive: Slimline Slot load CD-RW/DVD-ROM - Matshita CW-8123 Specs

I will add as info becomes available!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
BillHarrison said:
We have alot of convoluted threads going on this thing, and I have been reading for some time on it, and have decided to make a thread with INFORMATION on the mac mini. There will be NO arguments, comparisons, which should I buy, etc. Links are fine, but they need to lead to Mini Info!

Here is a list I have so far, it will be added to as I get time!

Apple Mini Page, see apples specs on this unit:

Mac Mini Apple Page

I have found the following links to some good pics on the mac mini:

External pics (these abound, but here are some better ones with different angles):

Gizmondo Pics

Good pics, PLUS system profiler information for a "High End" mini

Internal Pics:

Mainboard, good closeups

General Mac Mini Info / Faq's answered:

Warranty ?'s, Ram replacement

Mac Fixit, a few common questions answered / Surmised here!

Well, thats what I have so far, if you have anything good, please post it, and it will be added to this list. Keep the discussion to TECHNICAL aspects / info on the mac mini!

Thanks

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Yet there still is a bit on misinformation even from Mac Fixit (sort of):

Will users be able to upgrade the mini's RAM themselves? According to Apple's specifications, no. Authorized service technicians will have to install additional RAM modules. Any attempts at opening the case to install extra memory may void the computer's warranty.

Unfortunately, this means that Mac mini purchasers will be locked into buying RAM through Apple, which is significantly more expensive in some cases than buying from a third-party vendor.

Unless there is a change on what independent authorized tech shops can install, some of these shops may be able to install their own lower cost RAM options for the Mac mini

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks Bill.

Yet there still is a bit on misinformation even from Mac Fixit (sort of):

Unless there is a change on what independent authorized tech shops can install, some of these shops may be able to install their own lower cost RAM options for the Mac mini

Yes, that contradicts the link above it, which does state that even the USER can install ram without voiding the warranty. I think its a bit early in the game to make a solid call one way or another. For ME personally, I have always built my own PC's, and of course they have no warranty. I take pride in my ability to do things like that, and even if opening it up voided the warranty, I would dive right in with a ram replacement :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
BillHarrison said:
Yes, that contradicts the link above it, which does state that even the USER can install ram without voiding the warranty. I think its a bit early in the game to make a solid call one way or another. For ME personally, I have always built my own PC's, and of course they have no warranty. I take pride in my ability to do things like that, and even if opening it up voided the warranty, I would dive right in with a ram replacement :p

I understand, I am the same. But I also look at WinPCs being disposable of sorts, and not expecting much life from them. My experience with Apple is different. They seem to go for ever. Add to that relative cheapness of AppleCare on some models, I would be less willing to risk the wrath of Apple on a warranty repair (if needed).

In the end I think that this may be a tough one for Apple to honestly answer fully. Someone mentioned that Canada does not allow the exclusion that Apple is stating on RAM replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.