PDA

View Full Version : PPC G5 iMac as server

Heats
Nov 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
I currently have a 2010 Mac Mini connected to my TV with 3 external drives with my movies/tv shows/itunes attached. I have an old PPC g5 iMac in the other room doing nothing. Can I use that iMac as a server with the external drives attached and have Plex read them all from my network on the Mini?

Transporteur
Nov 16, 2010, 03:37 PM
Yes.
Simply share the movie / tv series folders in the network and let plex scan those folders.

You can even enable wake on LAN, so that the iMac doesn't have to be on 24/7 instead of just waiting for a network request and serve the folders when required.

rtrt
Nov 16, 2010, 04:59 PM
You can even enable wake on LAN, so that the iMac doesn't have to be on 24/7 instead of just waiting for a network request and serve the folders when required.

i had a problem with this not working after a short time - never did get to the bottom of it. iMac is in pieces right now so cant check.

iirc i had to reboot the iMac or at the very least bring it out of sleep by going to it's keyboard. It would work for a while then stop.

although it might have been something to do with the fact that i had it connected directly to the 2nd ethernet port on my mac pro - so it was effectively on a different network from the rest.