Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k21975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
I just got an email from Hulu that told me Hulu Plus was coming out of Beta today and the price would be reduced to $7.99. AND that I would be reimbursed for that price change for the entire time I have been a Plus member!

Also they started a referral program where both parties get 2 additional weeks free if you use my referral link.

http://hulu.com/r/M3gbSg.

I've been enjoying Hulu Plus and have dropped my cable bill well over $50 a month because of it and other things.

-Kevin

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Honestly what programs does Hulu Plus offer that cannot be streamed for free from the network's website. Almost every major network is now offering their shows (with commercials) for free.

IMO it doesn't make sense, and I don't think it's going to work. If you're argument is ease...download PLEX, and that obtains legitimate streams in an all-in-one place user friendly environment...

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Honestly what programs does Hulu Plus offer that cannot be streamed for free from the network's website. Almost every major network is now offering their shows (with commercials) for free.

IMO it doesn't make sense, and I don't think it's going to work. If you're argument is ease...download PLEX, and that obtains legitimate streams in an all-in-one place user friendly environment...

Hulu Plus you can watch on your TV, whereas with the Networks' website you're limited to a computer.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Hulu Plus you can watch on your TV, whereas with the Networks' website you're limited to a computer.

That is assuming quite a bit...you have to have some sort of device allowing you to use Hulu Plus on your TV. You could very easily stream episodes directly from the network's website or via PLEX by hooking up your laptop or mac mini to your TV.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Well Hulu Plus allows you to watch your shows on your TV without needing an expensive HTPC. You can also watch Hulu Plus on an iPhone, iPod, or iPad. So it's a "TV Anywhere" type of solution and the UI is better and much more streamlined than going to the website.

The other major difference of Hulu Plus over the network websites is that it offers full current seasons and back seasons of TV shows. You only get maybe the last few episodes of a show on the website or with the regular Hulu. You don't get back seasons and you certainly don't get full current seasons.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well Hulu Plus allows you to watch your shows on your TV without needing an expensive HTPC. You can also watch Hulu Plus on an iPhone, iPod, or iPad. So it's a "TV Anywhere" type of solution and the UI is better and much more streamlined than going to the website.

The other major difference of Hulu Plus over the network websites is that it offers full current seasons and back seasons of TV shows. You only get maybe the last few episodes of a show on the website or with the regular Hulu. You don't get back seasons and you certainly don't get full current seasons.

In some cases. You still have to buy a Samsung or Sony TV equipped with the Hulu software. You don't just get to watch Hulu on any old TV without an HTPC.

See this for more info (and Vizio is coming soon):
http://www.hulu.com/plus#devices

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
In some cases. You still have to buy a Samsung or Sony TV equipped with the Hulu software. You don't just get to watch Hulu on any old TV without an HTPC.

See this for more info (and Vizio is coming soon):
http://www.hulu.com/plus#devices

Wich is why it would be very nice if Apple added this service as a default app in a future update of the Apple TV OS

Boxee has it ... PS3 has it ... why not Apple TV ?
If they did a similar app with Netflix I dont see why not with Hulu Plus ... Plus Apple TV OS is iOS ... and they have Hulu Plus on the Iphone and Ipad ... would be that hard to port it to the Apple TV ??

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
HDTVs are now starting to have it built in. The Roku box now has it. And it's available on products people already have for movies and games like the PS3 and other Blu Ray players. With Hulu Plus, you don't have to buy an HTPC just to stream network TV.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
For me the problem is that the shows on Hulu have at least one day delay compared to TV.

On top of that it is totally unpredictable what shows are available and when they get pulled. I don't know if the networks can pull shows mid season but there is no guarantee that they will have the shows on next season. So why pay and commit?

At that point it's better to watch the shows on your MBP for free and for the one or two shows you really want to see you buy an iTunes season pass and you get much better quality without being dependent on a constant good internet connection.

I doubt that Hulu currently has a good business model.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
For me the problem is that the shows on Hulu have at least one day delay compared to TV.

On top of that it is totally unpredictable what shows are available and when they get pulled. I don't know if the networks can pull shows mid season but there is no guarantee that they will have the shows on next season. So why pay and commit?

At that point it's better to watch the shows on your MBP for free and for the one or two shows you really want to see you buy an iTunes season pass and you get much better quality without being dependent on a constant good internet connection.

I doubt that Hulu currently has a good business model.

Isnt the point of Hulu Plus vs Hulu (Free) that Hulu Plus has all Pass seasons of TV shows and that Hulu Free has a limited episodes of the current season and no back seasons ?

malikk

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Well I think many shows that are on hulu free are not on hulu plus... like Chuck and NCIS for two examples (i watch too many shows... i need to lower the list, haha).

But, I have not researched hulu plus... so I could be wrong?

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wich is why it would be very nice if Apple added this service as a default app in a future update of the Apple TV OS

Boxee has it ... PS3 has it ... why not Apple TV ?
If they did a similar app with Netflix I dont see why not with Hulu Plus ... Plus Apple TV OS is iOS ... and they have Hulu Plus on the Iphone and Ipad ... would be that hard to port it to the Apple TV ??

Because Netflix doesn't have current TV shows for example, you cannot stream a TV show aired on Monday via Netflix. There is less of a chance of iTune's store being cannibalized. Still a chance, just less when you don't have new popular releases and current TV shows available for streaming right away.

This is Apple we're talking about, they'll tell you when it's right to watch Hulu. ;)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Does HuluPlus have commercials?

If it wasn't for live sports, I might consider dumping DishTV now that HuluPlus is available on the Roku player.

nigelquest

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Used your link to get the 2 weeks. Thanks. Just to clarify its not really a 2 week trial. Is is $4 for your first month, so 2 weeks of the first month free. Optionally, you can get a free trial for 1 month and then be billed $7.99.

I just got an email from Hulu that told me Hulu Plus was coming out of Beta today and the price would be reduced to $7.99. AND that I would be reimbursed for that price change for the entire time I have been a Plus member!

Also they started a referral program where both parties get 2 additional weeks free if you use my referral link.

http://hulu.com/r/M3gbSg.

I've been enjoying Hulu Plus and have dropped my cable bill well over $50 a month because of it and other things.

-Kevin

k21975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

PS3, Samsung Bluray and TVs, Sony Bluray and TVs and soon TiVo and other connected devices. I would imagine that AppleTV would add it soon as well.

I start watching a show on my PS3, then I pause it to bring the dog out back, sit on the porch with my iPad and continue watching the same show right where I left off.

As more people sign up for services like Hulu, the studios will take notice and start allowing more content on them.

k21975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sorry for the confusion on the free trial. I was just excited for some free time myself. Thanks for the free two weeks either way! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.