PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Employees?

TyleRomeo
Aug 29, 2002, 10:03 PM
hey is anyone at macrumors actually an employee at an apple store?

Nipsy
Aug 29, 2002, 10:17 PM
If you actually are, and are under any sort of NDA, I would advise you to answer via a PM (if you feel the need to answer at all), and not to post here for all to see!

TyleRomeo
Aug 30, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy
If you actually are, and are under any sort of NDA, I would advise you to answer via a PM (if you feel the need to answer at all), and not to post here for all to see!

I sure am not, just curious who mite be, why couldn't employees discuss topics at this site. From what ive seen of apple employees isn't that impressive. They can barely recite what the specs are on the machines. I would say there are plenty of people here that could be qualified as apple geniuses. And almost anyone here could definately work at the store.

I'm just curious what kind of discount they recieve and if they get paid by commition or just an hourly rate?

tyler

mnkeybsness
Aug 30, 2002, 09:09 AM
most of the "geniuses" you talk of probably either don't have any social skills because they sit in front of their computer all day or have better jobs than working at an apple store...i wish i could get a part time job at the apple store for during college...that would be fun...

...employees can discuss topics...but nothing that is apple rumors and they can't say anything that they have learned while working for apple.

TyleRomeo
Aug 30, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
most of the "geniuses" you talk of probably either don't have any social skills because they sit in front of their computer all day or have better jobs than working at an apple store

...employees can discuss topics...but nothing that is apple rumors and they can't say anything that they have learned while working for apple.

actually the ones i met have no idea that moto makes the chips or what chips are inside the machines. They have no knowledge of upcoming products, for example I asked a slew of employees when the dual 1.25s are coming out. One said anyday now, and the other said November at the earliest. Half the time, they spend calling apple to answer my questions.

Personally I trust you guys a lot more then anyone that actually works at the stores. You guys are the mac fanatics and there's nothing wrong with that.

tyler

phgreer
Aug 30, 2002, 09:24 AM
I don't get it. Why doesn't Apple give a test or something during the job interview? If they are supposed to make such cutting edge and stylish machines why can't they seperate themselves from to usual rif-raf you see at other computer stores. Either put someone who knows Apple like the back of his or her hand or have no dang "genius bar" at all. BTW, we don't have an Apple store around her but I think they should at least serve refreshments or something.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 30, 2002, 09:26 AM
ha, and you actually expect a response? There was a poll done a while back and quite a few people said they were from apple - I think most were from Apple Legal - which isn't surprising -

But you might of just as well said - 'Is Steve Jobs on MacRumors?'

I'm sure he's been to the site - or at least knows about it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?postid=123336

D

TyleRomeo
Aug 30, 2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by phgreer
I don't get it. Why doesn't Apple give a test or something during the job interview? If they are supposed to make such cutting edge and stylish machines why can't they seperate themselves from to usual rif-raf you see at other computer stores. Either put someone who knows Apple like the back of his or her hand or have no dang "genius bar" at all. BTW, we don't have an Apple store around her but I think they should at least serve refreshments or something.

don't you find it shocking that not a single member of macrumors works at an apple store?

These aren't apple freaks, they are more like people that need a job at their local mall.

So will someone who actually works at a apple store, please defend yourself and tell me that you guys are actually serious about macs.

tyler

Mr. Anderson
Aug 30, 2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo

don't you find it shocking that not a single member of macrumors works at an apple store?

These aren't apple freaks, they are more like people that need a job at their local mall.

So will someone who actually works at a apple store, please defend yourself and tell me that you guys are actually serious about macs.

tyler

tyler, read this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=10281) would you! They aren't allowed - and ptrauber isn't even working for an Apple Store but still had to sign a NDE.

If you want to talk to an Apple Store Employee you're going to have to go and talk to one in person.

TyleRomeo
Aug 30, 2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

If you want to talk to an Apple Store Employee you're going to have to go and talk to one in person.

I think thats really silly. I'd rather get advice from guys like arn and you dukestreet then apple in store guys. You guys know far more then they can even fathom.

tyler

bertinman
Aug 30, 2002, 12:43 PM
Are you sure? maybe they just think you look funny and won't tell you... :D

But really, I don't know about your store, but the one I went to (South Coast Plaza, in Costa Mesa) had a slew of people who knew what they were talking about. I must have spent two hours there just asking questions and getting smart responces back. Of course if you are looking for rumors, macrumors is the place, but actual questions about the computers in stock can be answered just as well at the store. Plus, you are supporting the stores. They log how many people come in each day, how long they stay and stuff like that--which will be known by Apple, and maybe even the investors... This is a good thing if lots of people are going :).

here ends my silly post for today.

-- bert :cool:

(disclaimer: since Im new, just want to make sure you know that I don't know what you look like, and it was a joke :))

TyleRomeo
Aug 30, 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bertinman
Are you sure? maybe they just think you look funny and won't tell you... :D

But really, I don't know about your store, but the one I went to (South Coast Plaza, in Costa Mesa) had a slew of people who knew what they were talking about. I must have spent two hours there just asking questions and getting smart responces back. Of course if you are looking for rumors, macrumors is the place, but actual questions about the computers in stock can be answered just as well at the store. Plus, you are supporting the stores. They log how many people come in each day, how long they stay and stuff like that--which will be known by Apple, and maybe even the investors... This is a good thing if lots of people are going :).

here ends my silly post for today.

-- bert :cool:

(disclaimer: since Im new, just want to make sure you know that I don't know what you look like, and it was a joke :))

its cool man, looks like i'm heading down to costa mesa for some answers.

i hope you're enjoying macrumors as much as the rest of us are.

tyler

Ifeelbloated
Aug 30, 2002, 01:01 PM
Maybe it's because Mac pros are so hard to find. I remember being asked by my friend if Macs had faxing software. At the time I didn't know. He was a tech at CompUSA and the Apple rep was just a holler away, so he asked him. The rep said that Macs don't have that. I checked later if Macs indeed had faxing software and of course now I know they do. So it tells me, a)That guy doesn't take his job seriously b)is ignorant c)Was a PC salesman goon who filled in the job.
The true Apple geniuses are here, and at graphics houses across the land. Very few would want to work retail I'd imagine.