PDA

View Full Version : Teenager Sells $130,000 Worth of White iPhone 4 Conversion Kits

MacRumors
Nov 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/11/17/teenager-sells-130000-worth-of-white-iphone-4-conversion-kits/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/11/17/161249-whiteiphone4now_500.jpg

The New York Observer reports (http://www.observer.com/2010/daily-transom/white-iphone-four-sending-kid-college) on Fei Lam, a 17-year-old student from Queens, New York, who has turned a connection to parts producers for the white iPhone 4 into a six-figure business in just a few months.According to Lam, who speaks fluent Chinese, about six months ago he was able to make a connection with Apple's infamous overseas supplier. "I knew a guy from a few years back that had somewhat of a relationship with folks in Foxconn," Lam told The Observer by email.

Lam created a site, whiteiphonefournow.com (http://www.whiteiphone4now.com/), to sell conversion kits that turn regular iPhone 4's into their elusive white version.Riding on the publicity generated by tech blogs and mainstream news sites alike, Lam has reportedly managed to sell over $130,000 worth of the conversion kits since August, currently pricing the full kits at $279 for a front and back panel, as well as a white home button.

Lam's success has not gone unnoticed, however, as he has now received a letter from a purported private investigator claiming that Lam is trafficking in stolen goods. Lam intends to secure the services of a lawyer to defend himself against any possible action.

Article Link: Teenager Sells $130,000 Worth of White iPhone 4 Conversion Kits (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/11/17/teenager-sells-130000-worth-of-white-iphone-4-conversion-kits/)

thejadedmonkey
Nov 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
I think this kid is great, I hope he puts up the good fight!

Small White Car
Nov 17, 2010, 03:34 PM
It's always depressing to see someone else succeed at such an obvious idea. Maybe next time...

Eddyisgreat
Nov 17, 2010, 03:43 PM
lol after lawyer fee's he's going to be -.25.

notjustjay
Nov 17, 2010, 03:55 PM
Stolen goods or not, nevermind that - but $300 per kit? :eek:

Why not just buy a white case?

NeroAZ
Nov 17, 2010, 04:15 PM

it seems a bit pricey, but if i read correctly, the front glass includes retina display and digitizer. so...

>White iPhone 4 Front Panel (Pre-Assembled)
>
>- Retina Display
>- Supporting Frame
>- Front Glass
>- Digitizer/Touch Panel

coochiekuta
Nov 17, 2010, 04:25 PM
apple can easily put him out of business by supplying these things themselves.

CANEHDN
Nov 17, 2010, 04:28 PM
This kid is awesome. Good for him. I want one.

optophobia
Nov 17, 2010, 04:32 PM

sorry, but I will never put a case on my iPhone. It was made to look sexy as it is, naked.

Cases just ruin it.

ArtOfWarfare
Nov 17, 2010, 04:36 PM
Does he at least put them on for you or do you just get a kit and have to do it yourself?

bug67
Nov 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
Pretty cool that some kid can take initiative and do what Apple apparently cannot.

optophobia
Nov 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
Does he at least put them on for you or do you just get a kit and have to do it yourself?

DIY.

Instructions (fixits) are linked on his site.

weckart
Nov 17, 2010, 04:47 PM
sorry, but I will never put a case on my iPhone. It was made to look sexy as it is, naked.

Cases just ruin it.

I put a case on mine to hide the fugly. Sorry, but the iPhone 4 is anything but good looking.

JasonR
Nov 17, 2010, 04:52 PM

Cases just ruin it.

I think the iPhone 4 looks great without a case....but it drops calls without the damn bumper!

MacRacer
Nov 17, 2010, 04:52 PM
It smart for a teen, who is close to my age (20), to get into contact with a friend to get duplicated iPhone 4 cases in white, The look on the back looks original from Apple. I see Apple suing him for selling copy right infringement material. That would suck for him. I also see a issue for a Foxcomm employee letting material go out the door and Apple would get pissed over that. Apple has no power against the people. Only thing they can do is say "Oh well." :D

AmTechFox
Nov 17, 2010, 04:53 PM
Good for him! :p:apple:

ikir
Nov 17, 2010, 05:00 PM
I think the iPhone 4 looks great without a case....but it drops calls without the damn bumper!

It doesn't. My and my friend's iPhones 4 have no problem without cover. Stop the paranoia and FUD.

matthew12
Nov 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
Good luck to that kid. He'll need it seeing Apple's recent track record with cases like this.

DeeGee48
Nov 17, 2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:

Lam's success has not gone unnoticed, however, as he has now received a letter from a purported private investigator claiming that Lam is trafficking in stolen goods. Lam intends to secure the services of a lawyer to defend himself against any possible action.

If the PI is from Apple, or WHEN Apple does get involved, I predict the kid will be on the Lam pretty quickly! (Sorry, couldn't resist!) :rolleyes:

dukebound85
Nov 17, 2010, 05:45 PM
It doesn't. My and my friend's iPhones 4 have no problem without cover. Stop the paranoia and FUD.

well mine does too without a case....:cool:

projectle
Nov 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
Kinda wonder if this "PI" is even real...

Since the story broke, the guy's website has been posted across every tech news site around.

Fact of the matter is that I am sure that this situation has netted him a few more sales.

goobot
Nov 17, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'm sure apple is pissed because he is helping delay the white version by buying all the cases.

Hisdem
Nov 17, 2010, 05:56 PM
So a 17 year old can do it but a gigantic company with $50 billion lying there can't. Seems logical to me. :rolleyes:

Wake up Steve. Seriously.

DeeGee48
Nov 17, 2010, 05:57 PM
Kinda wonder if this "PI" is even real...

Since the story broke, the guy's website has been posted across every tech news site around.

Fact of the matter is that I am sure that this situation has netted him a few more sales.

I'm sure it has too. But you just KNOW it won't go on. Apple people read all those tech sites too and know all about it now!

sp86
Nov 17, 2010, 06:24 PM
What the ***** was I doing when I was 17 ...

Great going for this kid!

acfusion29
Nov 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
So a 17 year old can do it but a gigantic company with $50 billion lying there can't. Seems logical to me. :rolleyes:

i'm sure all these white cases are the ones that Apple didn't want

i would buy a kit, but not for that much. i know it includes the digitizer and LCD. still not worth it

Gemütlichkeit
Nov 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
Baller, $280 for that though? And you gotta do all the work yourself? Weak.

I'm sure apple is pissed because he is helping delay the white version by buying all the cases.

There wont be a white iphone 4

sandman42
Nov 17, 2010, 07:57 PM
That $130k will all go to the lawyers, even if he is able to establish that he has a legal "right" to sell those parts, and I think that'll be a challenge.

Jelite
Nov 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
That's some good initiative, maybe next time he can do it without stolen goods and earn back the money he's going to lose from the impending court case.

studiomusic
Nov 17, 2010, 08:45 PM

There's quite a difference between supplying 450 kits and selling 4-5 million white phones.

Creative One
Nov 17, 2010, 09:05 PM
There's quite a difference between supplying 450 kits and selling 4-5 million white phones.

Where do you get your 4-5 million...?:confused:

lucifiel
Nov 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
That $130k will all go to the lawyers, even if he is able to establish that he has a legal "right" to sell those parts, and I think that'll be a challenge.

Shame the teenager isn't in Australia or England where the loser pays the winner's legal costs.

1080p
Nov 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
White iPhone is sexy. Not to mention that cases ...especially that stupid bumper attract dust that scratch the phone. My metal antenna band already has tons of scratches from it.

Eorlas
Nov 17, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure these are all of the covers where the tint wasn't "just right" for Apple's standards. If that's the case, I can understand why they'd care, but they shouldn't.

I hope nothing legal happens to him, all he's doing is making a business off of something that wasn't going to be used but people wanted that specific customization that Apple suggested they would provide twice, but didn't.

Good for him! Wish I could come up with something like that and pay for school...

Fatdog
Nov 17, 2010, 10:44 PM

No, there's a slight difference. He's simply selling the parts with no control on quality or guarantee that white glass will negatively affect the iPhone. Apple isn't selling the white iPhone 4 because there are quality issues that the suppliers can't overcome. Rumor is that the white glass on the iPhone 4 isn't consistently white and allows light to bleed through to the camera sensor. Apple had enough problems with the antenna "issue", so I imagine that'd take precautions with the white glass...

timbloom
Nov 18, 2010, 12:47 AM
well mine does too without a case....:cool:

and mine, even after having the phone replaced. It's not FUD, lol, it's fact. Not everyone will see it, but denying it happens because you don't see it is pretty close-minded of you.

Snowy_River
Nov 18, 2010, 01:03 AM
It smart for a teen, who is close to my age (20), to get into contact with a friend to get duplicated iPhone 4 cases in white, The look on the back looks original from Apple. I see Apple suing him for selling copy right infringement material. That would suck for him. I also see a issue for a Foxcomm employee letting material go out the door and Apple would get pissed over that. Apple has no power against the people. Only thing they can do is say "Oh well." :D

Unfortunately, you're wrong on most if not all counts.

First, it would be patented material, not copyrighted material. And patent infringement, especially design patents, is really quite easy to pursue.

Second, the Chinese supplier is "Foxconn", not "Foxcomm".

Third, and finally, in cases like these, as a general rule, even though Foxconn is the supplier, Apple is the owner of the parts. If Apple ordered that the parts in question be destroyed, putting them in a box and taking them home doesn't count, and certainly neither does selling them to a friend in the US. If they are the actual parts produced for Apple, then it is quite likely that they are, indeed stolen goods, and both this boy and the employee who got the parts for him are in trouble.

However, if the people involved were a bit smarter, then these parts would be from a production run not ordered by Apple. Under those circumstances, depending on how the contract is worded, there may have been enough wiggle room for them to sell these parts, especially given the fact that the actual Apple parts never went into formal production.

Finally, while it's arguably quite impressive that this kid was able to sell about 450 kits, to the tune of $130K, it's important to remember that this doesn't mean that he's made $130K. I would think it much more likely that he's getting maybe 10%-20% of that. Still, $13,000-$26,000 is not a bad haul for a couple months work...

SuperSnake2012
Nov 18, 2010, 01:09 AM
At least his income tax won't go up this year, right? :eek: :D

jolie1
Nov 18, 2010, 02:57 AM
I like this iphone. the color and the shape. wonderful

Tha Professor
Nov 18, 2010, 04:03 AM
I wouldn't pay 270 dollars for a white iPhone whose home button color dont match....

bruinsrme
Nov 18, 2010, 04:19 AM

First, it would be patented material, not copyrighted material. And patent infringement, especially design patents, is really quite easy to pursue.

Third, and finally, in cases like these, as a general rule, even though Foxconn is the supplier, Apple is the owner of the parts. If Apple ordered that the parts in question be destroyed, putting them in a box and taking them home doesn't count, and certainly neither does selling them to a friend in the US. If they are the actual parts produced for Apple, then it is quite likely that they are, indeed stolen goods, and both this boy and the employee who got the parts for him are in trouble.

However, if the people involved were a bit smarter, then these parts would be from a production run not ordered by Apple. Under those circumstances, depending on how the contract is worded, there may have been enough wiggle room for them to sell these parts, especially given the fact that the actual Apple parts never went into formal production.

Finally, while it's arguably quite impressive that this kid was able to sell about 450 kits, to the tune of $130K, it's important to remember that this doesn't mean that he's made $130K. I would think it much more likely that he's getting maybe 10%-20% of that. Still, $13,000-$26,000 is not a bad haul for a couple months work...

Do you have proof apple ordered the destruction of the products?

There are a few outlets to get the same products but they are in China.

pubwvj
Nov 18, 2010, 05:55 AM

The kid didn't "do it". He is just reselling what was rejected by Apple. Apple has higher standards for the color matching, durability and such. They've rejected the units he's selling because there are problems such that the units don't meet their quality control.

Lam intends to secure the services of a lawyer to defend himself against any possible action.

There goes all his profits.

In the words of the great bard, "First, we kill all the lawyers."

Paramount
Nov 18, 2010, 06:00 AM
Nice. I should have thought about that too

yankintx
Nov 18, 2010, 07:02 AM

Don't fault apple for insisting that the white iPhone parts match perfectly.
You can bet that if the suppliers could make parts to apples standards, then apple would sell white iPhone.
If someone does a conversion and then has minor issues such as light leak and parts not matching 100%, they will most likely put up wih it.

If apple sold white iphones with the same issues, it would be a disaster and a public relations nightmare. So many people who read these forums complain about things so minor, and yet they will put second rate parts on their iPhones and be happy with them.
I don't blame apple one bit for scrubbing the white iPhone.

Go figure!

MacModMachine
Nov 18, 2010, 07:31 AM

lol yup,

white case is what?...$10-$20 ?

and you can replace it in a second.

anything over 40$ is a joke for a few pieces of plastic.

Amazing Iceman
Nov 18, 2010, 07:48 AM
I think this kid is great, I hope he puts up the good fight!

Even if he wins, all his profit will be absorbed by his lawyer. :(
All that hard work for nothing. :mad:

convergent
Nov 18, 2010, 09:06 AM
There is no way this is legal, and he is now going to have the wrath of Apple's legal department coming at him... and probably also the FBI since this is an international deal. If Foxconn sold him the parts, then they are likely violating all kinds of things with Apple.... so they would never do it legitimately. Had he designed and manufactured his OWN white panels and design, he'd be fine... but this is a young kid that doesn't have the maturity to realize he's into something that he shouldn't be and he's probably going to be paying dearly for it. His best move would be to disappear as quickly as possible.

Just for those who thing this is a hand-slap kind of thing, I worked on a project where someone leaked an industrial design on a product and the FBI arrested them and they were facing 75 years in federal prison for it. This kind of stuff can get you more years than killing someone.

skeep5
Nov 18, 2010, 09:38 AM

i wasn't pimping electronics for 130 large that's for sure. i think i was trying to get to second base.

mrwheet
Nov 18, 2010, 10:12 AM

Well, if rumours about the reason for white iPhone delays are correct (i.e., leakage from the white casing affecting camera performance), then he's just selling Apple's rejects. Fair enough, I suppose, if people are willing to pay for them (especially that much $$$). It would be interesting to hear reports about camera performance after the conversion.

mrwheet
Nov 18, 2010, 10:21 AM

Yeah, that's the sad part; lawyers will walk away with all the profit. How absurd is that?

I suppose if these casings were literally thrown away by Apple, and he's able to prove it, then it wouldn't be any different than those people who go through the bins and pawn off the treasures they find... Mind you, I don't know whether that's legal either.

Hisdem
Nov 18, 2010, 10:50 AM
I know that Apple's concern about the white iPhone (according to the rumors) is color matching, which, of course, I can't blame them for wanting it to be perfect. Was just some sarcasm there, guys :D

I would like to hear from those who got this kit though. Do the colors match or not?

carlgo
Nov 18, 2010, 10:52 AM
Great, now they will seal up all the doors and windows at Foxconn and cavity search the employees when the are allowed out. And some employees will just mysteriously disappear.

wadejc85
Nov 18, 2010, 01:05 PM
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is... never try.

Thanks for the life lessons, Homer! ;)

Blocko
Nov 18, 2010, 02:07 PM
Apple should sue for $1 million, give him $2 million, then hire him.

Snowy_River
Nov 18, 2010, 03:02 PM
Do you have proof apple ordered the destruction of the products?

There are a few outlets to get the same products but they are in China.

Of course not. I was saying that if these were the original parts that were rejected by Apple, then there isn't much wiggle room regarding the fact that they are stolen goods. It is highly unlikely that Apple released these parts for sale. It is much more likely that they were ordered stored or destroyed. Either way, they would now be stolen property.

Now, if they were from another manufacturer (i.e. a knock-off product), or from a non-Apple production run at Foxconn (though there may be some serious issues there, too, as under contract Apple may own all product coming off certain tools), then the only possible criminal issue would be patent infringement.

Rooskibar03
Nov 18, 2010, 03:18 PM
Well, if rumours about the reason for white iPhone delays are correct (i.e., leakage from the white casing affecting camera performance), then he's just selling Apple's rejects. Fair enough, I suppose, if people are willing to pay for them (especially that much $$$). It would be interesting to hear reports about camera performance after the conversion.

While I cannot say what his parts looked or felt like I can tell you this. There is a huge difference between parts.

I ordered a "Genuine Apple" White Back plate from ebay. The color was awful, the flash blew out every picture and camera lens cover distorted images.

I then ordered a full conversion kit from another vendor. The parts looked very close but the end result was way different. No light leak, no flash issues and pictures as good as my black one.

The front plate had Apple printed on the ribbon cables. Does this make it genuine? Doubtful but there is no way I'll ever be able to tell.

I'm super happy with the result, and with Dock and Headphone converted as well, I paid a lot less then this kid was charging.

spongeandy87
Nov 18, 2010, 06:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-OEM-iPhone-4G-Back-Rear-GLASS-Battery-COVER-00858-/280589735339?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item41547395ab#ht_1048wt_1141

MrSmith
Nov 18, 2010, 07:00 PM
The real crime is that there are people with hundreds of dollars to throw away on pretty phone covers while a billion people on the planet don't even have access to safe drinking water.

I'm sure my logic will be ripped apart, but I've made my point. :cool:

rust0r
Nov 18, 2010, 09:31 PM
The real crime is that there are people with hundreds of dollars to throw away on pretty phone covers while a billion people on the planet don't even have access to safe drinking water.

I'm sure my logic will be ripped apart, but I've made my point. :cool:

Do you have an iPhone 4 ? A car? Or other "non essential items" / luxury items ? EVERYONE, yes even individuals who want to make constant "poor starving African children" stance, have possessions they could do without. Sell your phone, sell your car, stop going to the movies, enjoy basic sustenance and give all your savings to foundations to help those in other counties...THEN you can scold everyone else about how they spend their hard earned dollars on luxury items

MrSmith
Nov 18, 2010, 09:33 PM
Never said I was Gandhi. My point is valid nonetheless.

james92se
Nov 18, 2010, 09:39 PM
Aren't there a half dozen or so other websites that sell/do the exact same thing as this kid? As well as likely hundreds of eBay sellers?

So, what I missing here? Why all the scrutiny for this kid?

Plus, his website clearly says they're non-OEM parts. So I really don't get all the negative hooplah here.

rust0r
Nov 18, 2010, 10:42 PM

Though, it is with the assumption that if those people DIDN'T buy white kits, they would have given the money to the developing nations. ;)

I understand what you're saying, the realist in me has just come to accept that this is the way the world has been, is, and will continue to be. 99% of people in developed nations will tell you how terrible is it that people live without clean drinking water, vaccination, etc, but if you asked them to give up one luxury in their life to contribute to fixing those injustices, they would not.

It's the classic thing of how people complain about child labor, foreign works who are forced to work 16 hour shifts 7 days a week but still want their cheap and shoes at super low prices.That however is a completely separate debate.

As for the kid in the news, I think it's amazing that he has set up this business for himself, most 17 year old kids today are too busy drinking, getting high and trying to bang everything possible. Even if he loses every penny he has profited through court costs, the amount of knowledge he has learned, and connections he will have will give him a great advantage in life (though he clearly already has one). If anything, the news coverage might get him some help or a job in the future, people love young kids like this who are able to do what he has done, legal or not.

Terminal.app
Nov 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
May have already been said, but seriously...$279 just to have a white iPhone? I paid $199 for my phone with a new contract...sheesh.

Nothing wrong with the black iPhone. Just seems a bit much to my dirty peasant mind. :(

randname
Nov 19, 2010, 04:15 AM

Quite possibly there are no actual patents covering the design of the case (would not pass requirement for non-obviousness or inventive step, unless some exotic materials are used, for example). What they no doubt have is an industrial design right to the case, which are called design patents in the US. They might also have trademark protection on shape. And, naturally, a contract with the actual manufacturer, which might pursue the person for stealing their products, if the products are not legally the property of Apple. This would not be an option if they are produced by some third party. There may be copyrights involved, if the product is deemed to pass the "threshold of originality". Some countries have laws on good business practices, which may apply in this case.

All in all, if it seems unlikely that a 17-year old kid could legally sell this stuff and make a bundle, it is probably true.

Tonsko
Nov 19, 2010, 04:27 AM
Just for those who thing this is a hand-slap kind of thing, I worked on a project where someone leaked an industrial design on a product and the FBI arrested them and they were facing 75 years in federal prison for it. This kind of stuff can get you more years than killing someone.

Depressing, but prolly true. Corporate muscle and lobbying power to protect their profits is more important than the taking of a life. Topsy-turvy, eh?:p

studiomusic
Nov 19, 2010, 09:57 AM
Where do you get your 4-5 million...?:confused:

You don't think Apple would sell 4-5 million white iPhones over the course of a few months?:confused:

AwakenedLands
Nov 19, 2010, 06:34 PM
Just to get a white phone people pay that much? It's just a phone. Shameful.

SJSpike
Nov 20, 2010, 07:02 AM
Steve Wozniak bought White iPhone kit, interview on Dutch website:
http://nos.nl/video/199423-wozniak-wil-witte-iphone.html

CFreymarc
Nov 20, 2010, 10:47 AM
Pretty cool that some kid can take initiative and do what Apple apparently cannot.

I am sure there is going to be a bunch going back and forth. It is very hard to prosecute on this if it was a parts order the primary didn't accept. He may claim that he is just selling surplus or discarded parts as salvage. Love to know who is footing the PIs bill to harass this kid.

ellyka112
Nov 21, 2010, 03:11 AM
Good luck to that kid. He'll need it seeing Apple's recent track record with cases like this.

My1stMacWasLisa
Nov 21, 2010, 08:32 AM

There is only a finite amount of water available within the Earth ecosystem an only a percentage of that is available for drinking at any given time. A far greater volume is used for agriculture to grow food for human consumption.

We could all sell our iPhones and Macs right now and donate the cash to a charity of your nomination but it wouldn't change the volume of water available within the Earth ecosystem.

The problem isn't wasteful spending of money. The problem is that Earth does not have enough water to support 7 billion human mouths.

Are these white iPhones genuine. Thought Foxconn would just eliminate employees who stole.

ski2moro
Nov 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
He is a minor. Can he be sued in NY? Better question might be, can they collect from a minor in NY?

London Lad
Nov 22, 2010, 03:41 AM
I thought you guys in the USA encouraged free enterprise !!!

Even if these goods came from Foxconn (which I doubt) if Apple ordered some items then rejected them (and I assume didn't pay for them) they would still belong to Foxconn. If Foxconn threw them away then they abandoned title to them and they cant be stolen.

Last time I looked it was not illegal to export to the USA so as long as the tax man gets his share of the profit what's the problem?

I think it's more likely he just had them copied.

Sheesh, what happened to innocent till proven guilty ? Its not for him to prove anything.

Apollo21
Nov 22, 2010, 08:39 PM
The problem isn't wasteful spending of money. The problem is that Earth does not have enough water to support 7 billion human mouths.
LMAO, is this a joke?? Has to be the dumbest thing I've read this month by a supposed adult.

Plymouthbreezer
Nov 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone who pays that much to have a white iPhone is misguided, and dumb.

alamein
Nov 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
seeing the success of these kids i'm sure apple will start selling them too (only better quality)

reactions
Nov 23, 2010, 04:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What a great story! Kid has initiative as must of got a good size loan to secure that Lot of white iPhone shells.

Bet he gets a top notch hooker to eliminate his virginity

anubis72
Nov 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
Wow, that's a lot of cash for a back plate. I got one on ebay that looks pretty authentic for $25. Suckers.

As for his virginity, just get a job working with the TSA and you can get your hands on all the ladies' junk.

coolwater
Nov 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
Apple should hire the kid and put him in charge of preventing these things over at Foxconn.

bugout
Nov 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
well.. I was a sucker hoping for an authentic kit. My wife really wanted a white iphone, and I bought this kit to convert a regular one as an x-mas gift.

Apple has nothing to worry about. These pieces are not from Apple.. they're friggin plastic. Filing a dispute with paypal and my CC now.

London Lad
Nov 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
well.. I was a sucker hoping for an authentic kit. My wife really wanted a white iphone, and I bought this kit to convert a regular one as an x-mas gift.

Apple has nothing to worry about. These pieces are not from Apple.. they're friggin plastic. Filing a dispute with paypal and my CC now.

Did the add say it was from apple then ?

bugout
Nov 26, 2010, 03:26 PM
Did the add say it was from apple then ?

No but the site says it's glass front and back.

Sn00py
Nov 26, 2010, 08:40 PM
Ouch!, I guess :apple: are on to it!

alamein
Nov 26, 2010, 11:08 PM
sexy

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/#gallery02

London Lad
Nov 27, 2010, 02:49 AM
Ouch!, I guess :apple: are on to it!

Why ?

Dr Kevorkian94
Nov 27, 2010, 12:59 PM
good for him, i love that in this day in age u can and will get sued over anything.

iAppTime
Nov 27, 2010, 06:22 PM
Why ?

If it were genuine White iPhone 4 parts, Apple most likely wants to investigate where they got leaked.

Diamons
Nov 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
LMAO, is this a joke?? Has to be the dumbest thing I've read this month by a supposed adult.

1) If he is an adult, as you claim, the least you could do is watch your tone and be respectful.

2) I understand it perfectly fine. Just because you're not intellectually capable of understanding his point doesn't mean it's dumb. Quit being ignorant.

spork183
Nov 28, 2010, 12:02 AM
Great, now they will seal up all the doors and windows at Foxconn and cavity search the employees when the are allowed out. And some employees will just mysteriously disappear.

Reports that TSA is hiring Foxconn Security rejects are largely conjecture...:D

macman916
Nov 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
Good for this kid!

Its takes one kid to deliver a simple product apple can't.

Sinfire
Nov 28, 2010, 06:02 PM
What is it with the comments like..... A kid can deliver what apple couldn't ?

There is a reason why Apple has delayed the release of the white iPhones. Apple is about quality, and they are not going to release an inferior product that they know is going to cause a lot of problems once it goes out to the public. Just look at how carried away people got when they started having reception problems.

As for this kid... Anybody read the Terms and conditions on his site ? He states that everything he sells is as-is. Once it leaves his door, then he is not responsible for the product, even if it arrives to you defective. And the worst part is that changing the case voids your apple warranty. If your phone dies in 3 months, then Apple can refuse to repair it because you took the phone apart.

lincolntran
Nov 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
Baller, $280 for that though? And you gotta do all the work yourself? Weak.

Want everything to be done for you and hand to you on a silver plate? Weak.

Phil A.
Dec 1, 2010, 09:18 AM
Looks like the train has come to the end of the line: the website now just goes to a holding page

Earendil
Dec 1, 2010, 09:54 AM

Think that one through, would you please?
Apple has much higher standards of quality than a 17 y.o. kid in NY. Apple has a reputation for not selling cheap/broken/imperfect shiet. Not only does Apple have that reputation, I bet you it is written down.

So yeah, it seems perfectly logical. For $50 I'll take a can of spray paint to your iphone. Now I can do it cheaper than a 50 billion dollar company, and some kid in NY! I must be amazing!

macman916
Dec 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
If you want it, buy it. Stop complaining about other people's success. Lots of people sell 3rd party junk.

roylong
Dec 1, 2010, 11:13 AM
I can sell you a can of spray paint and some masking covers so you can do the job yourself for about $20 :eek:

Clive At Five
Dec 1, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's interesting, really. Apple has really high standards, that much is clear. Don't get me wrong, it's part of what makes them a great company. If there's one thing that can be said about this story, however, it's that that other people's standards are clearly not as high.

It begs the question: How many projects have Apple put the kibosh on, that people would've bought... at a premium, no less??

xMac, anyone?

-Clive

cleanup
Dec 1, 2010, 11:34 PM
The website just displays a domain placeholder for me. Maybe the gig is up?

gorgeousninja
Dec 2, 2010, 09:11 AM
I put a case on mine to hide the fugly. Sorry, but the iPhone 4 is anything but good looking.

I'll take Apples definition of what is and isn't good looking over yours thanks

Interstella5555
Dec 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
I'll take Apples definition of what is and isn't good looking over yours thanks

I'll take my own definition over Apple's or yours. Seriously, the phone is damn good looking, but you'll take Apple's opinion over your on?

Clive At Five
Dec 2, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'll take my own definition over Apple's or yours. Seriously, the phone is damn good looking, but you'll take Apple's opinion over your on?

Lol, touché. Burn those fanboys!

Interstella5555
Dec 2, 2010, 10:03 AM
Lol, touché. Burn those fanboys!

I'm a huge Apple fan, but the 3G/S were terrible design, you can like a company and still criticize it, how else will they know something is wrong?

keen-on-mac-1
Dec 2, 2010, 10:10 AM
That's great for this kid.
I hope he won't be in too much troubles because of his idea.

eshroom
Dec 2, 2010, 10:21 AM
It's always depressing to see someone else succeed at such an obvious idea. Maybe next time...

The idea is nothing. The kid obviously put time and effort into finding a decent supplier at a low price, marketing, web development. Hats off to him.

If you think you can develop a good idea then go ahead and try, there's loads here: www.ideaaday.org (http://ideaaday.org/)

Do me a favour and PM me so I can track your progress.

John Dillinger
Dec 2, 2010, 01:50 PM
Lol the majority of comments on this story... Jealous!!!

This dude showed fantastic initiative!

And i'd say his markup is more near 50% than 10-15%.

A friend of mine actually does iPhone 4 repairs (on the blacks)- as Apple doesnt cover dropping and shattering your phone- and i believe the units, which are expensive as one cannot just replace the glass but also the LCD + digitizer on ip4, cost him around $100 and he fits them within up to half an hour for 200$.

Depending on how you react to the price you may get a 'discount' of 20%.

9/10 dont care just want their baby back lol:apple::D

thisisarcadia
Dec 2, 2010, 04:34 PM
just tried to go to the website and it is no longer online

baypharm
Dec 3, 2010, 09:58 AM
Trafficking is a felony any way you look at it. So the 130,000 will pass on to his attorney's hands. In the end they all get caught.

baypharm
Dec 3, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you want it, buy it. Stop complaining about other people's success. Lots of people sell 3rd party junk.

Sorry but this is not legal success. That's the difference.

hapishyguy
Dec 3, 2010, 10:13 AM

because you are not chinense :D

mikechan1234
Dec 4, 2010, 09:10 AM
because you are not chinense :D

Fail spelling

lstdonsldr
Dec 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
Here's (http://www.zeetron.com/pages/iPhone-4-Color-Swap.html) a great site to get this done.

I ordered my kit from a different supplier, but used Zeetron's videos to install my kit. With Zeetron, it's only $170 for the DIY kit, or for $200 total they'll install it with 2 way overnight shipping. Pretty sweet deal either way

anetoiu
Dec 4, 2010, 05:43 PM
most of the people who don't stop eating for like 3 months to buy an iPhone 4, will probably afford and buy that kit but the other ones like me won't do that

I don't even have an iPhone 4 !

Besides those things, I'm glad for that kid making so much money with such a brilliant idea.

scelzifan
Dec 5, 2010, 11:49 AM
I would bet by the time Apple gets done with him he will probably be broke. Assuming that is where the stolen goods are coming from, i would assume it's their property he is selling. To bad.

Kuwait-Mac
Dec 5, 2010, 02:52 PM
God !! .. I Stell Want One .. Even If Costs 600 $ .. Don't Care For The Price .. I Want Me iPhone 4 To Be White !

stefmesman
Dec 8, 2010, 01:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does anyone know the wallpaper of white iphone in the picture?

Thanks!

delgan
Feb 2, 2011, 04:44 PM
www.justdeals.com had some pretty good deals on apple product accessories

Meetster
Mar 10, 2011, 03:37 AM
I have ordered one of those white DIY Kits and it was easy to put on. I have it now for over 4 months in white and i must say am happy with it.

The only issue is the problem with the camera. The quality is not anymore as good as on black iPhone 4. It seems to be too bright because of light entering the iphone besides the camera hole :S

BUT STILL I WOULD BUY ONE AGAIN :) i love the people asking where i got this white iPhone from XD

s.hasan546
Apr 9, 2011, 03:51 PM

I own an import company. Mainly importing from china. I gaurantee his profit margins are higher than 10-20%. His profit margin is minimum 50-70%.

Also if the kid was smart he should have incorporated or created an LLC and than imported and sold all the merchandise under that company. If he did that than his legal liability is pretty limited. They could sue his company for what it was worth. Probably not much. The could fine his company, which he could just shut down and pay none of the fines. He could get away with it with barely paying anything. How do you think all these companies that import Kirf products work?

s.hasan546
Apr 9, 2011, 03:53 PM
Trafficking is a felony any way you look at it. So the 130,000 will pass on to his attorney's hands. In the end they all get caught.

it's not trafficking. Its importing merchandise that you legally purchase from a foreign company. There MIGHT be patent infringement; etc. But you can read my above comment on how easily that could be dealt with. Attorney fees would not be $130k. you guys are dreaming. And notice there were no lawsuits filed. Just a "PI"

Aleco
Apr 9, 2011, 08:58 PM
I own an import company. Mainly importing from china. I gaurantee his profit margins are higher than 10-20%. His profit margin is minimum 50-70%.

Also if the kid was smart he should have incorporated or created an LLC and than imported and sold all the merchandise under that company. If he did that than his legal liability is pretty limited. They could sue his company for what it was worth. Probably not much. The could fine his company, which he could just shut down and pay none of the fines. He could get away with it with barely paying anything. How do you think all these companies that import Kirf products work?

Is this really bump worthy?

SidBala
Apr 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hmm... Plastic parts from China. He probably pays $5 max for each kit. Very good profit I would say.

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind. Just in case I want to start a company that imports KIRF.

s.hasan546
Apr 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
Is this really bump worthy?

didn't see how old it was sorry :(

PWC
Apr 30, 2011, 09:03 AM
That is pretty awesome for the kid...

tenshin5426
May 1, 2011, 06:34 AM
give em hell kid! really fantastic going lets just hope apple are far to busy skirmishing with samsung then picking on young businessmen rofl

JasperJanssen
May 1, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hmm... Plastic parts from China. He probably pays $5 max for each kit. Very good profit I would say.

They are neither plastic, nor remotely that cheap. The Home button is a single piece of plastic and thus pretty well meaningless (although still a complex mold with multiple colours of plastic), but the rear plate is a large piece of plastic with metal molded in, a substantial piece of glass which is printed and painted, and has a hole in it, and then there's the metal foil backing, the glass camera lens with its metal trim, the flash led diffuser, and some other bits and pieces. Whole thing considered, it's no wonder they sell for around $10 ish.

The front is a whole other kettle of fish. Not only the piece of painted glass with some holes in, but also a digitiser and a very-high-res LCD glued on. These still sell for around $70ish, even today, let alone when they were rare.

chagla
May 2, 2011, 08:48 AM
yes, only isheeps would pay $300 for a cover!!!

they deserve it.

mark381
May 11, 2011, 02:44 AM
looks like the site isn't there any more. he take it down after the white iphoen 4 came out, or apple force him to?

charbhuja
May 12, 2011, 06:20 AM
good for him, i love that in this day in age u can and will get sued over anything.

Internal Fury
May 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
kids pretty smart