PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for an old Powerbook?

Backtothemac
Nov 17, 2010, 04:31 PM
I have a customer that has a G4 17" PowerBook 1.5 for sale. There are no dead pixels at all. It has 1.5GB ram and an 80GB hard drive. I would probably pay to have the hard drive upgraded, and upgrade to leopard. it is in good shape. There are a couple of skuffs on the outside of the lid, but other than that it is in fantastic shape. Actually the inside looks brand new. Battery lasts about two and a half hours. I would use it for iLife to make Photo Books and DVD's for customers. What do you guys think it is worth. Or should I say, is $400 a good deal on this thing?

Let me know what you think

Hrududu
Nov 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
Since its not a 1.67GHz or high-res screen model, I wouldn't pay that much for it. I would do maybe $275 or so. Of coarse, it depends on how badly you want it or have use for it. If you're looking for buy and resell for a profit, its not going to happen.

Backtothemac
Nov 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
It is amazing to me how powerful these machines where just five years ago. Today, it chokes on youtube videos. Though this is Tiger on here. I would upgrade it to leopard, and I have heard that it increases performance on these old G4's. But it is amazing to me that they can't play youtube videos with a 1.5GHZ G4.

Thanks for the tips on price. I am thinking I am going to go $325 on it. That would be fair, because I will be able to use it to make a lot more than that and eventually get me a more modern Mac. There is no way that my old 15" iMac can do what I want to do for my customers.

sngx1275
Nov 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
I might be a little wary on putting Leopard on it. I have a 1.67 hi-res and I actually thought it got slower with leopard. I bought a 13" late 2009 MBP and gave the 15" PB to my gf, with Tiger. Tiger is for sure an inferior OS, especially with home networking, but I'm not convinced it is less speedy than Leopard on that hardware. And yeh, as bad as it sounds, at least 50% of the reason I bought the MBP was because flash vids had to be paused while they were loading in order to play well, and that only helped if they were low res.