PDA

View Full Version : IBM is hard at work on the POWER platform for Apple or.....

solvalou
Aug 29, 2002, 10:51 PM
This from CNET:

"IBM is releasing new technology that may be powerful enough to stop college students from bringing laundry home to mom and dad for the weekend.

The system, called eSuds, developed by IBM and USA Technologies, will let students swipe a credit card or punch a code into their cell phones to pay for washing or drying their clothes instead of scrounging in backpacks and desk drawers for quarters.

The souped-up washers and dryers will also let students check a Web site for empty machines. From the comfort of their desktop or laptop, they will be able to add soap and fabric softener that is dispensed by the washing machine. Finally when the wash is done, they will get an e-mail telling them to come and get it.

IBM and USA Technologies said on Friday that they are connecting 9,000 washing machines and dryers at U.S. colleges and universities to the Web in an effort to make doing laundry at school less of a hassle.

At a pilot program during the spring semester at Boston College, students "just loved it," said Dean Douglas, a vice president in IBM's global services division."

Awesome!! which would we rather have? :p

Hemingray
Aug 30, 2002, 01:40 AM
...you must be joking...

I've heard of lazy, but MAN!! :rolleyes:

Okay, yeah, I'd use it. :D

Rags
Aug 30, 2002, 03:02 AM
I'm all for digital gadgets and the like but I would sure hate for my internet connection to go down and I loose all my clothes :(

...will let students swipe a credit card or punch a code into their cell phones to pay for...

Now that IS scary in any context!