PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 iPod Shuffles sold in first 4 hours -- not counting o...

MacBytes
Jan 14, 2005, 12:38 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: 20,000 iPod Shuffles sold in first 4 hours -- not counting online purchases (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050114133823)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Peyote
Jan 14, 2005, 12:54 PM
Correction...2000, not 20,000 sold in the first four hours

mactastic
Jan 14, 2005, 01:06 PM
Lol... That really would have been something. Probably good that it's not true thought, otherwise the backorder time would be insane.

jholzner
Jan 14, 2005, 01:28 PM
If you check out amazon.com...the iPod line now makes up 7 of the top 10 best selling mp3 players. the iPod shuffle is in that top 7 (both models)...give it another couple of days I'm sure it will work it's way higher!

24C
Jan 14, 2005, 02:00 PM
Bet it was not far off 20,000 including online sales, it took me under 4 hours to order one of those great value Apple 1G thumb drives, with free iTunes player ;-)

solvs
Jan 14, 2005, 02:20 PM
I've already heard a lot of who cares if it plays music, that's a great price for a USB drive. They said the same about the iPod mini, but you don't even have to tear this thing apart. The plays music thing is cool though. And it's main selling point. But that's what we have real iPods for. ;)

Nermal
Jan 14, 2005, 02:42 PM
My parents are getting me a Shuffle for my birthday :) (27/1)

ThePreacherMan
Jan 14, 2005, 03:24 PM
I ordered mine through the Apple Web site and was told that I would have it in 5 business days. I should see it Monday, Lord willing!

24C
Jan 14, 2005, 04:02 PM
I ordered mine through the Apple Web site and was told that I would have it in 5 business days. I should see it Monday, Lord willing!

Lucky "bar steward", mine doesn't get shipped till the 25th :-((

maya
Jan 14, 2005, 04:06 PM
I am buying 2 x 1Gig models. As soon as I see one in person, as usual it takes time for some products to make they journey NORTH. :rolleyes:

I am in no big hurry though. :)

24C
Jan 14, 2005, 04:27 PM
snip...I am in no big hurry though. :)

Neither am I, I can always plug my headphones into my PowerBook assuming the lanyard holds up;-)

brandon6684
Jan 14, 2005, 06:06 PM
I was going to get a "real" iPod, but now that they've released the Mac mini, it makes my old iMac G3 look ready for an update, so I may have to settle for a shuffle for now.

polyesterlester
Jan 14, 2005, 09:49 PM
My order says 3-4 weeks... Come on, I can't wait that long!

macridah
Jan 14, 2005, 10:00 PM
I've been calling all the apple stores around me for a shuffle, and they all sold out what they had the first day. I really wanted to get one for my cousins birthday.

another hit ...

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 15, 2005, 01:23 AM
I've already heard a lot of who cares if it plays music, that's a great price for a USB drive. They said the same about the iPod mini, but you don't even have to tear this thing apart. The plays music thing is cool though. And it's main selling point. But that's what we have real iPods for. ;)

Forgive me I am lazy. But does the Shuffle also allow use as a USB keychain drive?

24C
Jan 15, 2005, 01:53 AM
Forgive me I am lazy. But does the Shuffle also allow use as a USB keychain drive?

Oh yessssss, but AFAIK you have to create a space for it, if you don't want the 'autofill' in iTunes to gobble it up.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 15, 2005, 02:08 AM
Oh yessssss, but AFAIK you have to create a space for it, if you don't want the 'autofill' in iTunes to gobble it up.

If that is the case, Apple may want to triple the orders on this one. I will be be speaking to my buyer on Monday about us getting in on the Shuffle.

Thanks

24C
Jan 15, 2005, 02:34 AM
If that is the case, Apple may want to triple the orders on this one. I will be be speaking to my buyer on Monday about us getting in on the Shuffle.

Thanks

Have fun, by then backorder will be 4-6 weeks :-)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 15, 2005, 03:01 AM
Have fun, by then backorder will be 4-6 weeks :-)

I think that i might be able to convince the buyer that the wait is worth it. :)

wdlove
Jan 15, 2005, 11:58 AM
Congratulations to Apple on another hit. Just hope that the wait for the shuffle won't turn off sales. Seems to be very versatile.

3Memos
Jan 15, 2005, 12:01 PM
I've been calling all the apple stores around me for a shuffle, and they all sold out what they had the first day. I really wanted to get one for my cousins birthday.

another hit ...

at least the rest of the world won't have to wait 6 months to get their hands on the shuffle.

Kingsnapped
Jan 15, 2005, 12:06 PM
Here's the Amazon link. Pretty cool:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/516878/102-2149029-6941723

Here's my shuffle pics!

http://www.pitythefoo.com/brian/shuffle.htm

I was in class during the Keynote, so didn't even learn about it until that evening. I find it funny that I got mine before a lot of people who ordered the moment they heard offical news.

I learned my lesson by watching the iPod mini order fiasco.

3Memos
Jan 15, 2005, 12:09 PM
Whats your report on the shuffle?

Kingsnapped
Jan 15, 2005, 12:19 PM
Whats your report on the shuffle?

It's the perfect compliment to my 3g10G 'pod. It's so small, my cell phone is now the biggest thing I carry around, and the neck lanyard is great. There's nothing like walking down the street, hearing a song you don't like and pushing a spot under your shirt to change it. I haven't been able to take it to the beach, or skating yet, but I went for a walk last night (in the rain) and the shuffle did it's job perfectly.

Sound quality is just as good as you would expect from an iPod. I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds great to me. Interfacing with iTunes is very clean, and the sync time is pretty good. You can have it autofill from your library, or any playlist. Another handy feature is in the iPod prefs. You can have iTunes recompress songs to 128kbps AAC just for the shuffle. This change does not affect your library, so you don't have to worry about re-encoding your songs just to fit more in there.

USB stick-functionality is perfect. I moved the pictures on that link from my powerbook to a lab computer (HP something or other) without a problem. Only snag with USB use, is you cannot listen to music while it's a drive.

iPod Shuffle is a lot smaller and lighter than I expected, and I can't wait to get ahold of a waterproof case to take it kayaking or swimming.

24C
Jan 15, 2005, 12:33 PM
...snip... Only snag with USB use, is you cannot listen to music while it's a drive. ... snip...

Thanks for the report, do you mean using the headphones and plugged in to a USB port? or opening up iTunes and seeing the drive space?

Kingsnapped
Jan 15, 2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the report, do you mean using the headphones and plugged in to a USB port? or opening up iTunes and seeing the drive space?

No problem.
I cannot listen to the shuffle while it is acting as a USB drive.

3Memos
Jan 15, 2005, 12:39 PM
Wow by the sounds of it, looks like the shuffle will be a smash hit. :) :)

Kingsnapped
Jan 15, 2005, 12:53 PM
Wow by the sounds of it, looks like the shuffle will be a smash hit. :) :)

For sure. The advantage is how well it compliments people with full size (esp. the big 40 and photo) 'pods. I didn't even think about buying a mini, but the shuffle's differences make it perfect for times a 'big' iPod is less than perfect.

solvs
Jan 16, 2005, 04:55 AM
I know it's already been answered, but I got my answer direct from Apple:

Store files along with your music
Good to know how well it works.