PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini vs. Airport Extreme/Express? Price aside, the Mac M...

MacBytes
Jan 14, 2005, 12:39 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Mac Mini vs. Airport Extreme/Express? Price aside, the Mac Mini soars past the capabilties of the others. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050114133920)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

srobert
Jan 14, 2005, 02:08 PM
Interesting and creative concept. What about security, signal strenght and range? Comparable?

It will sure be a very versatile little machine. I think it will stay a very long time in Apple's computer lineup and it'll go through many revisions.

Windowlicker
Jan 14, 2005, 03:20 PM
Yes, he pointed out lots of stuff I hadn't thought about! This article really blew my mind :)

slipper
Jan 14, 2005, 04:13 PM
cool, now i need to learn how to do those things.

nagromme
Jan 14, 2005, 04:14 PM
I have to check out that free VNC remote control stuff :)

maya
Jan 14, 2005, 04:21 PM
Easy to do:

1. Plug Broadband connection to computer via RJ-45 cable.
2. Have Mac mini with AirPort Extreme card ON.
3. Connect via: SysPref ---> Sharing ---> Internet Sharing ON ----> connect via WiFi.

Use the Mac mini as a router, home server, etc.....

How hard is that? :)

Superhob
Jan 14, 2005, 04:47 PM
Easy to do:

3. Connect via: SysPref ---> Sharing ---> Internet Sharing ON ----> connect via WiFi.

What sort of range do you think this type of setup would have?

maya
Jan 14, 2005, 04:53 PM
What sort of range do you think this type of setup would have?

The same as if you had an AirPort Express. :)

Place it as a digital media HUB. Any cordless phones might affect any WiFi if on the same channel. :)

slipper
Jan 14, 2005, 07:08 PM
Easy to do:

solid

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 15, 2005, 01:20 AM
Lots of interesting ideas as to what can be done with the Mac mini. Many as a Mac novice I am unsure of. I know one of my customers was thinking about one as a server for his mixed workplace. I mentioned that I saw on MR that the Mac mini will boot without a keyboard or monitor. He seemed to be sold.

After seeing this, me and my other half my have found our "iTunes Server". As well as a web server for my own business website that I have been thinking of. Also having a dedicated unit for folding for the MR team. It may give me a reason to buy a BT keyboard and mouse that the other half will buy into.

I can even see for the photo shop that I work for offering wifi connections in the store, and ready access to pages that we have "archived" for store use on multiple "terminals".

Apple may have a bigger hit on their hands than they think. People are starting to think outside of the box with the new box from Apple.

maya
Jan 15, 2005, 01:32 AM
Lots of interesting ideas as to what can be done with the Mac mini. Many as a Mac novice I am unsure of. I know one of my customers was thinking about one as a server for his mixed workplace. I mentioned that I saw on MR that the Mac mini will boot without a keyboard or monitor. He seemed to be sold.

After seeing this, me and my other half my have found our "iTunes Server". As well as a web server for my own business website that I have been thinking of. Also having a dedicated unit for folding for the MR team. It may give me a reason to buy a BT keyboard and mouse that the other half will buy into.

I can even see for the photo shop that I work for offering wifi connections in the store, and ready access to pages that we have "archived" for store use on multiple "terminals".

Apple may have a bigger hit on their hands than they think. People are starting to think outside of the box with the new box from Apple.

AirPort Extreme/Express = Mac mini with APX card
(streams movies and music)

Add an ElGato TV Tuner and you have a PVR/VHS to DVD converter/DV editor.

Add a BlueTooth Mouse and Keyboard and you have a computer that plays movies as well.

Why even bother buying an APE and APX base station?
Why even bother buying an iPod Photo?

As you can see there is no limit with this cheap box, the only thing the others have over this is size and portability. This however has the power and flexibility. :cool:

A run away HIT, I think so. :)

markm
Jan 23, 2005, 07:07 PM
I have been considering the same thing with my old G3 iMac. But now I'm considering a Mac Mini as it would be a much faster Web Server (what I primarily intend on using it for).

The questions:

If a users computer goes to sleep when sharing the Mac Mini's internet connection, will the connection re-establish when brought out of sleep? Will it establish quickly? I tried internet sharing to one machine over firewire, but every time EITHER machine went to sleep you had to restart internet sharing. I assume this was just because I was using firewire as the connection but if anyone has tried with ethernet or wireless instead please post. I hope it will open an close connections just like a Base Station. I only have one ethernet port and no wireless cards right now so I can't give it a go myself.

And, how many users can share the connection?

I am also wondering: Is it possible to run a Web Server from within a wireless network? I'm guessing you can, and that I am being laughed at by someone for even asking : ). While I have set up many servers, I've never set up a server within a NETWORK before where it is not the first in line. If not, then this may also be the only way to share an internet connection and run a web server from the same IP.

And lastly, does the Mac Mini use a standard Airport Extreme card? I read that it is not user installable so I am not sure, and I would like to use the new Card in a Mac Mini if it does not work out in my G3 iMac.

Thanks,
Mark.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 24, 2005, 07:06 AM
And lastly, does the Mac Mini use a standard Airport Extreme card? I read that it is not user installable so I am not sure, and I would like to use the new Card in a Mac Mini if it does not work out in my G3 iMac.

Thanks,
Mark.

From the service manual that is floating around, the AE card is special part that includes the antenna. Not sure if the average person will be able to order it, or can be ordered only by certified Apple techs. It doesn't look to hard for those that have built or taken apart fully PC systems. But maybe not for the faint of heart.