Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I just got an iPhone 4 the other day. My current headset, a Plantronics Voyager 520, isn't working well. The listener hears a lot of static/noise. This headset worked fine on my previous dumbphone.

Assuming I just need a new headset (not a new phone), what's a good one to get? People seem to like the Jawbone Icon, but I'd like some real world experience, with people on 4.1 or 4.2. I don't care about fancy features or even noise canceling; I want it to sound good in my quiet apartment. I will use it for talking, no music. Decent battery life would be a plus.

Last edited:

LyndaP

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
I have a Jawbone 2 and a Jawbone Icon. Both worked just fine with my iPhone 3g and are completely unusable with my iPhone 4. iOs 4.1 DID NOT fix my problems with muffled "underwater" sound - the people I am talking to cannot hear or understand me. The problem is with the phone, not with the bluetooth device. Before you spend any money on a new bluetooth device, pair it with your iPhone 4 in the store and try to make a couple of calls - it just might save you some money and a lot of frustration!

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i have a plantronics 975. works really well but of course i do get the random muffled sound with iphone 4.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
After having issues (connection drops, almost constant sound issues according to those listening to me) with my jawbone prime2, jabra, blueant T1 and then the plantronics pro, I got a sony VH110, $30 at a sony style store. I've been using it for almost a week and it has been flawless. No dropped connections, I can walk away from the phone and maintain connection at more than 3 feet - a problem with all the others I've tried.

I also get more than 8 hours of use out of it too, although it could last longer as I haven't even gotten to the point where it tells me it needs charging.

It also happens to be the first headset I can wear without the loop attached and it stays in my ear. I am just all sorts of pleased with this, the cheapest headset I've purchased so far. Anyone looking to buy to very slightly used Plantronics Pro?

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
A vote for Sony MW600 Stereo Bluetooth Headset.
Bought one for $55, crystal clear calls from ~10 feet away. :D
The only drawback is the unusual volume button, which can get activated while handling the dongle.

Wish skype would support bluetooth already!! :mad: :p

Ive also ordered the Sony DRBT100CX for $65, will post once Ive used it for a week or so :)

Last edited:

OneForGadgets

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Just received the Jawbone ERA. Opened it last night and was loving the call quality and features. Will have a full review up before the end of the week so check out my site.

Agree with ipadguru...the Jawbone Hero is my personal bluetooth headset and love it. It is small, has great call quality, and range. After doing some research I hear this ERA is better than the Hero so we shall see.

Bogart24

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Era

I've been using the Era for a few days. Sound in both directions is good, but it keeps dropping the iPhone 4 (or the iPhone 4 keeps dropping it) when the phone is in my pocket and in other very close situations.

Edit: I called Jawbone and they said they are getting a ton of calls complaining about connectivity with the iPhone 4. She said to try resetting network connections and resetting the Era. I will update.

Update: One or both of the procedures worked. I now stay connected even when I'm in a different room from the phone.

And I agree with the poster I quote in the next thread. Jawbone support was excellent.

Last edited:

Bogart24

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Found this on the Apple website dated 2/1/11:

Just got off the phone with Jawbone support. By the way, I LOVE JAWBONE SUPPORT. Every time I've contacted them I've had an A+ experience.

Anyway, they confirmed for me that Apple has told them that they acknowledge this Bluetooth connectivity issue, and they are working on fixing it in the next iOS update (4.3). Since 4.3 Beta3 was released today, hopefully the full release will come in the next few months.

Dahammer

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
Another vote for the Blueant Q2. The only issue I have with it is that it will drop the connection to the phone sometimes, but it isn't that bad after upgrading the firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.