PDA

View Full Version : The cord is cut

cdavis11
Nov 18, 2010, 07:48 AM
It took Hulu Plus coming to Roku, but it is done.

Here's my setup -

Cable internet through Time Warner (the only reasonable option in my area)

Apple TV for Itunes content, Netflix

Roku XD for Hulu Plus, backup Netflix and MLB during the season.

No antenna, no OTA recording at all - we're doing it all with the streaming boxes.

There are a couple of shows that we might miss - The Amazing Race for one. Though it's available at a good price on Itunes ($20 for the season).

That's it - we're saving about $60 a month with this setup.

The setup (roku/apple tv) is duplicated on 2 tvs - my 50" plasma in the main living room and a 42" lcd in the basement. Both Apple TVs are on 5Ghz N only network segments, as are the Rokus. Everything is working extremely well so far.

Irishman
Nov 18, 2010, 08:17 AM
Did you take into account your initial cash outlay for the new gear?

cdavis11
Nov 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
Initial outlay was minimal - 2x Roku boxes @ $99 each and 2x aTv 2Gs @ $99 each.

Payback on the gear in <7 months, plus the benefit of not paying for 200 channels of garbage I don't watch.

thejoshhoward
Nov 18, 2010, 09:02 AM
That's awesome! I love reading about other people's setups. I'm trying to cut the cord, too. But I can't find a good way to watch live sports without cable/satellite. Mostly, I want the NFL. OTA isn't well received in my apartment, unfortunately.

Tilpots
Nov 18, 2010, 09:23 AM
That's awesome! I love reading about other people's setups. I'm trying to cut the cord, too. But I can't find a good way to watch live sports without cable/satellite. Mostly, I want the NFL. OTA isn't well received in my apartment, unfortunately.

DirecTV offered the NFL this year online for non subscribers for $350. Too rich for my blood especially with CBS, Fox and NBC carrying about 4 games a week that I can watch already. Also, if you get your internet thru a cable company, the basics are usually only about $10 a month, so no antenna required.

And congrats, OP!

randy98mtu
Nov 18, 2010, 10:25 AM
Great to hear stories of people doing this. I would like to try, but the wife and our baby sitter would have a hard time with it. My thought is taking out my $78/mo for Dish would give me enough to buy every show we ever watch through iTunes. I think I could comfortably do it, with OTA HD to fill in some live stuff.

cdavis11
Nov 18, 2010, 10:42 AM
Great to hear stories of people doing this. I would like to try, but the wife and our baby sitter would have a hard time with it. My thought is taking out my $78/mo for Dish would give me enough to buy every show we ever watch through iTunes. I think I could comfortably do it, with OTA HD to fill in some live stuff.

Thanks.

I was in the same boat with wife and babysitter(s).

The wife was an easy win - saving money always gets her interested.

The babysitters were easy to train - just show them the Apple TV side for kids movies and that's that. With everything set up on a Harmony remote, navigation and starting up the system is easy. Takes me <5 minutes to show a sitter how to operate the system.

magillagorilla
Nov 18, 2010, 10:44 AM
Additional food for thought: you can always negotiate down your rate on sat/cable.

I went through the exercise of penciling out savings/costs a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that the one box solution that I was hoping for just wasn't there for me quite yet and it didn't make economic sense from prospective of the cash outlays that I would have to make to get what I wanted (something to record OTA). To see the forest for the trees, you really need to look at a 3 year span, account for additional equipment purchases, and (obviously) the cost of buying season passes via Itunes.

Cheapest solution that fit all of my needs was a lower sat TV bill and some use of APTV. Called DTV customer retention and negotiated $30/month of my bill.

magillagorilla
Nov 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
Additional food for thought: you can always negotiate down your rate on sat/cable.

I went through the exercise of penciling out savings/costs a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that the one box solution that I was hoping for just wasn't there for me quite yet and it didn't make economic sense from prospective of the cash outlays that I would have to make to get what I wanted (something to record OTA). To see the forest for the trees, you really need to look at a 3 year span, account for additional equipment purchases, and (obviously) the cost of buying season passes via Itunes.

Cheapest solution that fit all of my needs was a lower sat TV bill and some use of APTV. Called DTV customer retention and negotiated $30/month of my bill.

EvilC5
Nov 18, 2010, 12:06 PM
this is great stuff to read. I dont know if I can ever cut the cord completely because of the wife acceptance factor, but I have already cut my bill by ~60 dollars per month by getting rid of the movie channels and going from 7 cable boxes to 3, with an apple tv on 6 of my tv's and my mac mini hooked to the 7th with my hd dvr. I have been taking shows that we record on our dvr, and use EyeTV to record them on my mini, then transcode them to ATV format to watch on any of the tv's. at some point maybe I can get rid of 2 more boxes and just keep the dvr to cut the bill by another 10-15/month.

netflix+eyetv+handbrake encoded dvd collection=smaller cable bill!

dbwie
Nov 18, 2010, 12:07 PM
Get a slingbox and put it on a family or friends cable system, on an open coaxial outlet they are not using. Then sling it over the internet to your laptop, iPhone, etc. Offer to pay a small fee (e.g. a portion of their cable bill) if they aren't really generous friends. Haven't tried this myself, but I think it should work? :D

netdog
Nov 18, 2010, 12:08 PM
I cut it when the first AppleTV came out. Next to go is the phone line.

You'll never look back. You won't miss a thing and you'll save pots of money.

ayale99
Nov 18, 2010, 12:13 PM
Congrats!

Every time someone cuts the cable cord, an angel gets it's wings.

EvilC5
Nov 18, 2010, 12:42 PM
Get a slingbox and put it on a family or friends cable system, on an open coaxial outlet they are not using. Then sling it over the internet to your laptop, iPhone, etc. Offer to pay a small fee (e.g. a portion of their cable bill) if they aren't really generous friends. Haven't tried this myself, but I think it should work? :D

its probably easier to splice into your neighbors coax outside his house....either of which would probably make the lawyers at the cable company cry.....:eek:

zed
Nov 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
Cut the cord a few months back with absolutely no regrets. It does help that I get all of the major networks OTA. The hardest part was saying goodbye to TiVo, he was a dear friend for a long time :)

From A Buick 8
Nov 18, 2010, 12:55 PM
I also cut my cable bill this month, still use them for internet (which i overpay for) but we saved about $30 a month. We dropped the home phone line a while back.

We have two ATV's we are using netflix, OTA recordings through my EyeTV hybrid and my persoanl collection of DVD's.

A big driver for me was when the cable company went to requiring a cable box for every TV.

randy98mtu
Nov 18, 2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks.

I was in the same boat with wife and babysitter(s).

The wife was an easy win - saving money always gets her interested.

The babysitters were easy to train - just show them the Apple TV side for kids movies and that's that. With everything set up on a Harmony remote, navigation and starting up the system and easy. Takes me <5 minutes to show a sitter how to operate the system.

Ugh. Mine are both apparently technology challenged, as they see the Harmony as one of the most difficult remotes to operate. :confused: I told them it's only because we have a gate in front of the TV to keep my 19 month old from pushing the glowing blue Samsung power button over and over and over and over...

Good to know it can be done. I have 2 more months in my Dish contract anyway, but I'm going to start working on the wife. We could buy all her MTV shows to have and to keep for less than 1 month of Dish.

DavieBoy
Nov 18, 2010, 01:03 PM

I'm so generous that I bought myself the slingbox pro with the concept of letting friends use it when I wasn't. It is going all the time between the friends at the office and the other friends who cancelled their cable accounts.

The only thing that bothers me is them hogging all my bandwidth, but I never actually noticed what I was doing was slower because of them.

dukebound85
Nov 18, 2010, 01:09 PM

look into this for ota

http://www.filmon.com/tv/?mid=13

essentially takes the free OTA content (HD included) and streams it via internet live

I love it

cdavis11
Nov 18, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm so generous that I bought myself the slingbox pro with the concept of letting friends use it when I wasn't. It is going all the time between the friends at the office and the other friends who cancelled their cable accounts.

The only thing that bothers me is them hogging all my bandwidth, but I never actually noticed what I was doing was slower because of them.

I tried that same Slingbox trick a couple of years ago for my hometown baseball team. I had it installed at my parents home, 1500 miles away. It worked fine for one season, with a few hiccups.

Support was a nightmare - I ended up paying the geek squad in my parents town to come over and get it back up and running a couple of times. It finally ended in frustration, but it was a low cost experiment.

The Roku box MLB stream was pretty good last year, and that took care of my baseball needs. I just wish Hulu plus would come to aTV - it would be a simple one box solution at that point (I hear airplay will stream the Iphone/Ipad MLB app).

stompy
Nov 18, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ugh. Mine are both apparently technology challenged, as they see the Harmony as one of the most difficult remotes to operate.

Really? What do they think is hard? What model do you have?

randy98mtu
Nov 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
Really? What do they think is hard? What model do you have?

I have the Harmony One. Like I said, I think they just get confused when they hit watch TV and there is a problem. The problem being a baby gate in front of the TV, so the Dish box and the Receiver don't always get the signals. I keep telling them to hit HELP and change the angle of the remote, but if it doesn't just "work" they won't bother. I guess I just need to try to move the boxes up or somewhere else where the signal gets to them better.

MikePA
Nov 18, 2010, 03:16 PM

Anyone can save money if they simply decide to steal all their utilities which results in the other customers picking up the tab.

dbwie
Nov 18, 2010, 04:07 PM
Anyone can save money if they simply decide to steal all their utilities which results in the other customers picking up the tab.

I have free internet, free cable television, free heat and free hot water. Oh wait, it's all covered in my lease. :)

badmac78
Nov 18, 2010, 04:21 PM
We do OTA (w/ Tivo) + ATV2 + PS3 (w/ Hulu)

I recently invested in the EyeTV tuner so experimenting with that which could knock out the Tivo ... especially when Airplay is finally released.

I did the math on cutting the cord ... (maybe too much math)
http://stacthedeck.blogspot.com/2010/10/get-it-when-you-want-it-get-rid-of.html

erinford
Nov 18, 2010, 04:51 PM
I cut the cord six years ago 30th September 2004 to be precise and I reconnected the 30th September 2010. Unintended coincidence. The reason why I'm back on cable is due to the paucity of high speed broadband alternatives. Six years ago I decided to rely on eyeTV, iTunes, Netflix DVDs and OTA TV. At that time my 3Mbs DSL was adequate. I later bought an Akimbo box for more esoteric stuff. Remember them? I finally ended up with OTA TV, a TiVo HD (records OTA TV), a Roku box and eyeTV. I stopped using iTunes downloads in favour of Amazon On Demand on the TiVo - slightly cheaper and already transcoded and connected to the TV.

Then, last year, I decided with all the streaming content I was receiving on my TiVo HD, TiVo Premier, Roku and occasional iTunes, I really needed a better broadband experience, so I dropped my 3Mbps DSL for Clear's 6Mbps at half the price. After ten months of battling that experience I reluctantly returned to 15Mbps+ cable and was up-sold the TV and phone service package.

I'm still saving money during the promotional period but the cable cord is once again attached. We'll see how long I keep the TV package once the promotion is over - and it also looks like UVerse preparing to dig up the street . . . . in any case I think an ATV might be on the cards for Black Friday!

And yes I don't have the wife or babysitter issues - but I do have the visiting parents issue - and they can't cope with the Harmony either - go figure.

Paulyboy
Nov 18, 2010, 06:56 PM
I would love to do this but most of the best shows are on cable, namely HBO and Showtime. Just to name a few (current and past) The Sopranos, Entourage, The Wire, Rome, Carnival, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Californication, Dexter, The Tudors, and The Pacific. Most of this stuff is way better than what's on network TV. And there's also the talk shows, documentaries, and movies. I don't rent movies and very rarely go to the movies. I prefer to wait until movies come to HBO and Showtime, which I already pay for.

Sports is an even bigger issue for me.

So cable is still worth it to me but I certainly understand why people would be taking advantage of these other things.

-PN

jamesdmc
Nov 18, 2010, 08:08 PM
I would love to do this but most of the best shows are on cable, namely HBO and Showtime. Just to name a few (current and past) The Sopranos, Entourage, The Wire, Rome, Carnival, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Californication, Dexter, The Tudors, and The Pacific. Most of this stuff is way better than what's on network TV. And there's also the talk shows, documentaries, and movies. I don't rent movies and very rarely go to the movies. I prefer to wait until movies come to HBO and Showtime, which I already pay me.

Sports is an even bigger issue for me.

So cable is still worth it to me but I certainly understand why people would be taking advantage of these other things.

-PN

+1 to all of that

EvilC5
Nov 19, 2010, 06:14 AM
look into this for ota

http://www.filmon.com/tv/?mid=13

essentially takes the free OTA content (HD included) and streams it via internet live

I love it

i wondered why this was blocked at work, then got home and figured out why.....:eek::cool:

enzo4523
Nov 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
Big sports fan but I hated paying $150 for cable and internet. Just got my internet knocked down to $15 buck (plus tax). AT&T DSL... I know... I know... DSL sucks but its cheap and that's all I need right now.

I use my iPad as my content player for now. It can play huluplus and netflixs. I did jailbreak my iPad for TV out, which was perfect to display all my favorite shows.

We don't watch a ton of tv and my son only likes to watch music videos so the ATV takes care of him.

The time is now. Cut the cord and don't look back.

richpjr
Nov 20, 2010, 10:17 AM
The only thing I really watch on TV is sports and could completely live without cable. But until I can watch all the major sports live in full HD I'm stuck with cable.

wrz0170
Nov 20, 2010, 11:55 AM
We just cut the cord too! Bye bye to DTV and $110/mo. So far we have:

ATV2 with Netflix
Samsung TV that has Amazon on Demand, Pandora. Unfortunately does not have Hulu as a widget.

Thats it so far. We are researching Roku to see if that will fill some more gaps.

Any other ideas to look at?

cdavis11
Nov 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
So i've been playing with the Roku/Apple TV combination for a few days now without cable. Overall, i'm extremely pleased.

I'm playing with the Plex media server/Plex iOS app combination right now and i'm really impressed - plug-in access is working just fine (I get full Hulu on my iPhone).

What really has me excited is this - the Plex app appears to be using the standard video player...so Airplay *might* work.

If that's the case, it's the whole enchilada. This is going to be an exciting week with 4.2 rumored for the 24th.

Alan S
Nov 20, 2010, 11:21 PM
The only thing I really watch on TV is sports and could completely live without cable. But until I can watch all the major sports live in full HD I'm stuck with cable.

I've never had cable. Not even one day in my life. When traveling I'll watch it at the hotel, and then the only thing I like is MythBusters, The Science Channel and some sports.

At home all I really need is iTunes to buy an occasional TV show, and the internet to watch an occasional sports broadcast. No way is cable worth what you pay for it. Much better to get outside and enjoy life.

newagemac
Nov 23, 2010, 08:22 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the club. Enjoy the extra money every month for the rest of your life. :)

I have a PS3 and ATV 2G in the main living room and an ATV 2G in the master bedroom. The PS3 is for games, Blu Rays from Netflix, and MLB or Hulu Plus if I decide to go that route. The Apple TV is for everything else including my own stuff streamed locally plus content streamed from iTunes and Netflix. I use it regularly for podcasts, photos, slideshows, youtube, mobileme, my iTunes music library, watching my 720p/30 HD home videos, and even watching college courses at some of the country's top universities with iTunes U. In fact, I'm learning about developing iPhone applications right now with iTunes U.

I then have an OTA antenna and EyeTV for recording season passes of popular network TV shows and of course I can just watch them live right on the TV itself through the antenna.

I'm saving at least $90 a month myself since cutting off our Directv bill and loving my setup. That's near $1200 a year. :eek:

eq2675
Nov 23, 2010, 09:37 PM
We cut the cord in April. Here is my setup.

OTA digital antenna in the attic
Apple TV 2.0
Roku
Samsung Bluray
Magnavox 500GB OTA DVR