Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I've made a movie project in iMovie 7, but it's taken 3GB of space on my hard drive and I am lacking space right now, so I need to move it out onto a external hard drive. I'd like to be able to recreate/edit the movie project on another computer.

How can I do this?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
What do you mean by iMovie7? There are iMovie6HD, iMovie8, iMovie9 and now iMovie11.

You could just open it in whatever iMovie that you have, and then just do a Save As to the external drive.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
What do you mean by iMovie7? There are iMovie6HD, iMovie8, iMovie9 and now iMovie11.

Screenshot2010-11-18at110844PM.png

You could just open it in whatever iMovie that you have, and then just do a Save As to the external drive.

No such option. This version of iMovie is the closed version.

Screenshot2010-11-18at110904PM.png

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
I'm intrigued. What do you mean by that?

I believe this is the iMovie from iLife '08, which means that all the movie project files are fixed to the computer that you create on, and that you cannot compile the whole movie together like you could with iMovie HD and drag the project files to another computer to rework it on.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I believe this is the iMovie from iLife '08
That will be iMovie8 then. I've not used that much as I have iMovie9 but still prefer iMovie6HD.

which means that all the movie project files are fixed to the computer that you create on, and that you cannot compile the whole movie together like you could with iMovie HD and drag the project files to another computer to rework it on.
In that case, you've probably answered your question.

However, all the event footage that you imported will be in Home Folder>Movies>Imovie Events>Project Name, so you could transfer those to an external drive, then import to another computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.