PDA

View Full Version : Powis iPad Case - 9 Positions - Need Reviews

leeschill
Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
So we've been selected as a provider of the Powis iPad Case.
http://www.protectthepad.com/index.php/ipad-covers/powis.html

i think they're big competition is Sena and United SGP.

They've given me a few to give to some Macrumors members. Theres only one catch. They need a review. Plus it always helps us as a retailer when we get real feedback on a case we carry.

Good, bad, awesome, improvements...etc. So I'm looking for at least two members that I can send a case to for review.

Qualifications:
Preferably members with at least 50 posts :)
Review must be done within 48 hours of getting the case.

Drop me a DM and I'll get it out to you today/tomorrow.

http://www.protectthepad.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/screen_shot_2010-11-17_at_10.00.12_pm.jpg

http://www.protectthepad.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/screen_shot_2010-11-17_at_10.03.13_pm.jpg

If you already have a Powis case please let us know your thoughts.

leeschill
Nov 18, 2010, 08:26 PM
Maybe I didn't say it in so many words...but these are $80 dollar cases for FREE :cool:

class77
Nov 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
Cool looking case. I wish I had my new iPad so that I could review it for you. I can't wait for the reviews

Darth Maniac
Nov 19, 2010, 07:55 AM
Maybe I didn't say it in so many words...but these are $80 dollar cases for FREE :cool:

I know its unlikely but if you want a UK based reviewer send me a PM :-)

Zebrex
Nov 19, 2010, 09:50 AM

I would very much like to review this case. I currently have a Incase brand case on my Ipad, and I am not very impressed with it.

maliu
Nov 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
PM sent. Less than 50 posts but articulate and a long time "lurker".

Lenow
Nov 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
I would be happy to review this case I am a case nut and this looks very promising. Howard Lenow 5 beechwood ave Sudbury MA 01776

Bolero
Nov 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
It would great if the reviewers also had some experience with the DoDo and Protenzo case that have become so popular.

I am going to upgrade my DoDo case (I started with the Apple case, then Malware Eco-Vue, then DoDo then...) and I would love to hear how the Powis case compares.

Cheers and Thanks,

Bill
Lopez Island, WA

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 04:18 PM
It would great if the reviewers also had some experience with the DoDo and Protenzo case that have become so popular.

I am going to upgrade my DoDo case (I started with the Apple case, then Malware Eco-Vue, then DoDo then...) and I would love to hear how the Powis case compares.

Cheers and Thanks,

Bill
Lopez Island, WA

I have offered to review the case via PM, and I own both Dodo and Portenzo cases (and have written about them here and on the Portenzo facebook page under 'reviews'). So I hope I am included, but I have yet to get a response from the PM I sent yesterday.

Steven
Seattle, WA

leeschill
Nov 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
Hi Guys,
thanks for the PM's. Sorry for the delayed response.

These peeps are going to offer up reviews. Getting them out Tuesday to you all, please keep your eyes peeled (I'm guessing 4-7 days).

Fisher624
tfraley
zacksba

h1kar1
Nov 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Guys,

These peeps are going to offer up reviews. Getting them out Tuesday to you all, please keep your eyes peeled (I'm guessing 4-7 days).

Fisher624
tfraley
zacksba

Thank you, Look forward to reviewing your product.

Fisher624
Nov 23, 2010, 05:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi Guys,

Fisher624
tfraley
zacksba

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

zacksba
Nov 28, 2010, 12:53 AM
Well, I posted my review on my blog a couple minutes ago. Here is the link for the full review and the pictures that go with them.

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5811/review-powis-ipad-case

I am pasting the text only below in this post. I figured it just made sense to keep it in this same thread instead of starting a new one.

Review:
There are a few other iPad Cases that are probably pretty similar to this one, such as Dodocase, Portenzo and even the new Moleskine Folio. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to get my hands on those yet, so I cannot make any other direct comparisons. I am hoping that the other reviewers may have that insight because I would be very interested in that. But, from a new user experience, I was excited to try out this type of case. Let me start off by saying the case is packaged in a cardboard box, which is in a cardboard sleeve. Inside you have the case and instructions.

The case is made of 100% recycled cowhide fibers and recycled board. The review sample I have is the Alligator skin, but there are other choices.

On the inside cover, you will notice a piece that feels like rubbery plastic to me. This is on the edge. You can only see a portion of it when the case is closed. This rests on the iPad edge and keeps the cover off the screen. This also acts as a business card holder, by tucking the card edges in.

The main part of the case, or its frame, is where the iPad sits in is made of plastic. You simply slide the right side under the two corner edges. After that, press the two left corners under the tabs. To remove, just press these tabs and reverse. It took me a few times to align the iPad in. I was not sure if the plastic piece went over the full bezel area or the part slightly below it. It’s held in place with the latter. I did try to see if the iPad would fall out and it seems like it’s pretty secure in place.
Under the iPad in the frame, the designers added a remove-able plastic strip that holds a cleaning cloth tucked in there. That’s pretty neat and useful.

Attached to the back cover is an elastic strip. I am a fan of these, as I think they are very practical and easy to use to keep the covers secured. It is definitely needed here, as there is no other way that the cover stays shut. It’s an inch thick and I did not experience any twisting. Powis lists this as a hand strap also, to help hold it when you are walking. I can’t comment on that usage, as I just bag my iPad when I need to go mobile.

On the reverse of the back cover is where you may find something interesting. There is a spring loaded plastic stand, which helps in some of the nine positions this case is capable of doing. The stand pulls out and another piece swings out to keep it open. I did not use the stand extensively, as most of my usage involved holding the iPad. The stand does work though. I like the fact that it is built in so you can have that option when you want it, and not have to carry an extra accessory.
The only concern I have is how much force would it take to mess up the spring or snap off the plastic. I think in most situations this would probably not be an issue, but sometimes accidents happen. Also, if you have kids like me that use your device, they may have a different idea of where the stand is supposed to open up to. I am not saying this stand is a problem, but these were just things that I thought about as I was using this case.

One of the important, if not the most important, things that I liked about this case was the weight. When I opened the box, I thought this was going to be a heavy bulky case. I was wrong about that. I have used heavier skinnier cases in the past. For me, this was not an issue at all. It was very comfortable to hold and use.

All the ports and buttons are open and accessible. One thing to note though is that the Apple Connector kit does not fit into the iPad when this case is being used. I had to lift the device up out of the frame to make full contact with the camera kit. I imagine that this could be remedied by using a 30pin extension cable between the kit and the iPad though.

The case itself is very nice. I do not have a problem with the Alligator look. If I was buying this case myself, I possibly may have chosen another covering, but that’s just a personal preference. I do like these book or folio style cases. The covers give that added screen protection. In regards to this product, it looks like a book until you open it. My wife spotted it and told me that she liked this one the best so far out of the past cases we have used. She and my son also used the case this weekend and I did not hear anything negative about it.

In conclusion, I have enjoyed using this case during the last 48 hours. There is a video from Powis of the case, where you can see some of this in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE7vYgO8Ae0

Fisher624
Nov 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
I also received the Powis iCase for review.

The case I received is the Brown Alligator leather case.

The case arrived in a cardboard package, which is fully recyclable. The company also clearly advertises the recycled cowhide fibers. I wonder if the plastic parts of the case are also recycled/recyclable? That would take this case in the the green stratosphere, but anything is better than nothing.

The leather is nice, if alligator leather is your thing. The outside edges of the case have a rubberized coating on them, which really grips the table the case is resting on, that's a nice feature. There is a "built-in" microfiber cloth and holder. This is also a nice feature, but I am unsure exactly how the cloth and its holder work together, or if they do. The back cover is also alligator, but that is where the built in, fold out, stand is.

The stand allows for two different positions in landscape mode, perhaps a 30 and 45 degree angle. I found the lower of the two angles to be most comfortable for typing, the other being a bit steep. However, if you rotate the case a full 180 degrees, you have only the very shallow angle created by the binding of the case itself, which is even more comfortable, but somewhat less stable. The stand is where I do have a criticism. As you can see in the picture, when you open the folio and engage the stand, the stand is resting on the leather of the front cover, and I wonder if this will damage the leather cover at all.

You can also utilize the built in stand in portrait mode, but there are no options for the angle. It seems to be a great angle for reading a recipe on the counter, but may lay back a bit too far to be perfect for watching a slide show, or using the iPad as a digital picture frame.

In order to use the case, you must first snap your iPad into the built in "snap" style case. Be aware it is a tight fit. Tight enough that I was mildly concerned while doing it (no damage was done). Once the iPad is snapped in, it doesn't fall out, not even while shaking the case, open and upside down. Once in, you can use the iPad in at least nine different positions as advertised by Powis. Three are mentioned above, and all make use of the iPad in lansdcape mode. In terms of the other six, please see the Powis website linked above for other options. These include reading the iPad as an open book, and engaging the stand in portrait mode, which does not rest the stand on the leather.

The Powis case also includes an elastic strap. this can be wrapped around the case while in transit to keep from accidentally opening inside your bag, or it can be used, as advertised by Powis, as a hand strap while carrying the iPad alone. This elastic does seem to be of decent quality and not likely to stretch out of form too easily.

As mentioned in the previous review, all buttons, etc. are open, but there is not a lot of wiggle room, especially regarding the dock connector.

I do like this case. It seems to be a nice, new version of a folio case. Perhaps because of the alligator pattern, it looks very executive. I am not an executive, so it is a bit much for me, but that's me. I love the built in stand. I love that this single stand functions perfectly in landscape or portrait mode. The stand functions well, and seems sturdy enough for everyday, non violent, use. I think one of my boys could break it quite easily if given the chance.

h1kar1
Nov 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have also recived the case last night.
Have taken pictures today. would like to use the case it self for 1 more day.

Will have the review up and ready sometime tomarrow.

h1kar1
Nov 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
Text only review - Full review at my blog (http://www.thomas.fraley.me/blog)

* Product: Ipad Case
* Company: Powis
* Model: IPHRBB (iPad)
* Color: Red Leather
* Price: $59.95
* Link: Powisicase.com

Prowiscase claims.

1. Sturdy designer stand offers 9 viewing positions
2. Protection that maintains the sleek weight and size of your iPad
3. Fiber content of our handcrafted Spanish leather is 100% recycled cowhide fibers
4. Easy device access
5. Wipe cloth with secret storage
6. Movable hand strap for secure closure and carry

Received case on saturday for review from Leeschill over at Macrumers.com.
Thank you Leeschill

Unpacking

The case packaging is very well put together and does note that the box is recyclable (good for the environment)

Initial observations

* Red Leather feels more like painted thick cardboard to me.
* The construction all in all seems like is put together straight and tight. However there is a sight bow in the cover. (this could be due to mail main having packaging laying on top of it)
* Back hinge i must say was one of the things i was most worried about with the product. However the plastic parts are a lot thicker and harder than I thought as well as the springs
* Microfiber holder seems to come out easy but upon looking closer it seem it needed the iPad in place to add friction to it.
* rubberized edges

iPad Installation

The iPad installation instructions were fairly straight forward, you place the right side in first then press the left side down.

It took a bit of force to push the iPad down but it did snap in fine. however when it did snap in my iPad did turn on.

Inspection of iPad installation

* The cutout for the controls are cut perfectly, all controls can be accessible when case is opened or closed
* When closing the case I noticed the inside cover (hard rubber) is touching the iPad. It seems the frame of the case is flush with the iPad, I would much rather the frame be a bit higher than the iPad itself to avoid this.
* Microfiber compartment is hard to get to. My fingers do not fit under the iPad to pull it out.

Reviewing positions: Powis claims there are 9 positions however some of the positions seems redundant to me.

position comments corresponds with viewing positions card 1-9

1. This position feels wobbly with a little pressure at the left top of the iPad will fall
2. This position feels wobbly with a little pressure at the right top of the iPad will fall
3. Works as expected
4. It seems using this position over time could wear or at least creat a dent in the cover
5. Works as expected, however with your hand on top of the cover if you slide the case back by accident the hinges in the back will close
6. Works as expected, nice low angle
7. Works as expected
8. Works as expected. I feel this is the most steady of the position.
9. Same as 8 with cover closed, I would not call this another position

iPad Removal: Removing iPad after 48hrs of review

iPad removal is easy you push down on the left two corners of the case frame and pull iPad up. Looking over the iPad there seemed to be no visible scratches or marks due to the case.

48hr review conclusion.

Prowis has set out to create an iPad case that jams a lot of features into one case. Yes I admit there are some things I would like improved upon. Keep in mind though Powis is about creativity you are able to design your own case which is what makes the product cool. I would have liked the chance to review a difference type of leather that would have given this case more character this one seems a bit plain. Construction of this case is well put together and with many customization options on their site this is a tough thing. The 9 positions they claim is only true if you consider closed covers another portion also not all positions feel solid and stable. For people with big hands the microfiber compartment maybe harder to get to.The installation and removal of the iPad was tight almost feeling to tight however it did not produce any scratches or marks. All control cutouts perfectly matched up. As for the price for a plain jane Red Leather as the one I received I think $59.95 + $5.18 Tax and $8.38 shipping totaling $74.18 is kinda pricy for this case maybe if it was for one of the other leathers but for this one I cant see spending more than 50 bucks for it

Photos: sorry about the photos bad weather not enought light

leeschill
Nov 30, 2010, 08:47 AM
Awesome guys! Thanks for the reviews.

bigbro1096
Dec 30, 2010, 12:29 AM
Powis just came out with a new "manly" looking iCase to review. If you'd like to review this new case please e-mail me at jhaskell@powis.com. We think you'll love it! Speaking of...check out our "gitty up" marketing piece at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcHxfqGGM6I&feature=related. If the link doesn't work just search www.youtube.com and search Powis iCase. You'll see two videos...one is "I'm loving it!" and the other is a product demonstration. Hope you like them!

Hello, I was just wondering when you will be shipping out the cases you are giving out for review?