Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
there should be a slight improvement on how attachments are handled.

Due to our server set up before there was an issue with attachements appearing in the main window after they had been uploaded. This should be addressed now.

arn

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
As a side effect, you should be able to use Inline Attachments without first having to preview the post or return to the Manage Attachments window again. These workarounds were previously necessary.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As a side effect, you should be able to use Inline Attachments without first having to preview the post or return to the Manage Attachments window again. These workarounds were previously necessary.

That's a fancy feature I didn't knew about yet. Hmm, makes me wanna give up external image hosting services.
emoticon-0116-evilgrin.gif

As I often use screenshots to to visualise the probable solution, is there some upload limit one member has per month? I think I can do up to three screenshots per day (average may be one) and each is 100KB (average again) in size meaning I could upload up to 9MB per month, maybe even more.

Would that be alright, as I have noticed, that many images in my older posts have gone, though I used Flickr to host them?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
That's a fancy feature I didn't knew about yet. Hmm, makes me wanna give up external image hosting services.
emoticon-0116-evilgrin.gif

As I often use screenshots to to visualise the probable solution, is there some upload limit one member has per month? I think I can do up to three screenshots per day (average may be one) and each is 100KB (average again) in size meaning I could upload up to 9MB per month, maybe even more.

Would that be alright, as I have noticed, that many images in my older posts have gone, though I used Flickr to host them?
MacRumors limits the size of each uploaded image, and the number of images per post, but not the total number or size over time.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England

There seems to be a new side effect. I went to try this (because that previous bug was pretty annoying, needing to preview or re-open the attachment management window) but now when I clicked upload it seems to sit and do nothing "waiting for macrumors" with the progress bar not even starting. I closed the window and re-opened it and it showed it actually was uploaded. Then I went to remove it and it did the same thing... nothing. Then I re-opened it and it actually was gone.

So something is still wrong (at least in my experience) and actually more annoying than the previous problem. :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I saw that happen once out of many attachment uploads, so I think it's simply a matter of how busy the site is and how much throughput your connection allows. That's just a theory, so please try it again tomorrow at a different time of day. I don't expect you'll have the problem consistently, but let's find out.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
There seems to be a new side effect. I went to try this (because that previous bug was pretty annoying, needing to preview or re-open the attachment management window) but now when I clicked upload it seems to sit and do nothing "waiting for macrumors" with the progress bar not even starting. I closed the window and re-opened it and it showed it actually was uploaded. Then I went to remove it and it did the same thing... nothing. Then I re-opened it and it actually was gone.

So something is still wrong (at least in my experience) and actually more annoying than the previous problem. :eek:

what browser are you using?

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The downtime tonight was to move the attachments to a new server. Hopefully this will help some attachment issues we've been having recently.

arn

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Still having problems, been trying for a couple of hours with a 996KB png which just kept 'uploading' with no sign of progress. Tried shortening the filename just in case...

Safari 5.0.3 (5533.19.4)

Maybe things are a bit busy. Found a workaround by linking it from a YouSendIt upload, so no biggie. Just adding this to the mix.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Can you try again (with a different browser if it doesn't work)?

I just uploaded that attachement first time, although I am on IE8.

Attachments

• AppSLeo.png
    AppSLeo.png
    994.6 KB · Views: 78

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
On a side note, I know when most people reply to a post with images in it, they just hit reply, and the end result is that the images are repeated in the reply. People don't take the time to remove the images from the reply. I can understand that for some replies this is necessary, especially when it is pages later. However, it also can make for especially long pages and longer than necessary posts when replies include multiple and/or large images.

There out to be a way to have posts that include images resize them or thumb them. That all images that are included in the reply are auto thumb nailed at some smaller size, say 150x112, 100x75. Then you get the reference without the clutter.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Can you try again (with a different browser if it doesn't work)?

Just tried again with a different image, same problem with Safari 5.0.3 (5533.19.4) on 10.5.8. Just freezing on a small image (160kb). No problem at all with Firefox:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've had a few issues with the picture uploader lately, actually for quite a while, when I think about it.

As described above, when uploading an image (well within the size limits), sometimes the upload process just hangs. Closing the window (tab) and trying again a couple of times usually does the trick though, so it's just been i minor annoyance (and one I though was with my internet connection until now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.