Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peaking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
i thought this was implied
when i try to run crysis (max settings) on my macbook pro, i sometimes get blue screens of death/poor performance. the issues get worse when i am syncing my zune at the same time. apple support refuses to help resolve my problems.

i upgraded to a macbook pro from a normal macbook specifically because i was told it was a gaming machine. this reminds me of the misleading ipod marketing apple is infamous for - like when steve jobs said you could fit a million songs or whatever on your ipod, as long as they are 5-second 32kbps spoken word AAC files. (hence why i bought a zune, also i snowboard a lot and value the music swapping features)

as an aside, this frustration is compounded by the fact that i am waiting for iOS 4.2, which i was told was coming in NOVEMBER - what gives?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. i'm running windows xp service pack 1 on a 2007 intel core duo macbook pro.

Last edited:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Boot Camp does not officially support Windows 5.1 SP1, it needs at least SP2, which is free, like SP3. Maybe upgrading to a properly supported system might give you less problems.

Btw, why should Apple give you support with Microsoft related problems? And has the Zune a bigger storage than the iPod?

And the quote was "1,000 songs in your pocket".

First iPod Commercial - 1000 Songs In Your Pocket
Apple Music Event 2001-The First Ever iPod Introduction

Btw, what does your thread title have to do with "your problems"?

PS: It is still November, for eleven more days.

Peaking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
thanks for the quick response. i think i may have been unclear earlier, let me clarify:

i can't afford "windows SP2" in this economy - thought that was implied - my mistake.

capacity wasn't my concern with the ipod, it was dishonesty. not to mention, i bought the zune because it's made in the USA by blue-collar dock workers. all of this is extensively documented on the internet - use the search function.

my problem occurred on apple hardware that i paid handsomely for, surely they are 100% responsible for their poor performance and misleading marketing.

the title refers to my desire to dual-boot windows xp service pack one with the upcoming 10.7 rabid feline operating system - thought that was implied as well - english is not my first, second or third language.

finally, as far as how many days are left in november - i was referring to the spirit of november, its very essence - which learned mayan calendar scholars know excludes the last eleven days of the month. use the search function - knowledge is power.

thanks kindly again to your response, looking forward to resolving my issue in a timely manner.

HenMaster6000

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2003
i can't afford "windows SP2" in this economy - thought that was implied - my mistake.

capacity wasn't my concern with the ipod, it was dishonesty. not to mention, i bought the zune because it's made in the USA by blue-collar dock workers. all of this is extensively documented on the internet - use the search function.

Agreed. We used to make **** in this country. Now we just have our hands in each others' pockets. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

SP2 is a free download from Microsoft. I'm pretty sure Zune is manufactured in China but am happy to be corrected if you can provide a link. I'd also like to see a link where Apple said you can fit 1,000,000 songs on a iPod.
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't work off the Mayan calendar and on the gregorian calendar there are another 12 days of November left yet

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
thanks for the quick response. i think i may have been unclear earlier, let me clarify:

my problem occurred on apple hardware that i paid handsomely for, surely they are 100% responsible for their poor performance and misleading marketing.

the title refers to my desire to dual-boot windows xp service pack one with the upcoming 10.7 rabid feline operating system - thought that was implied as well - english is not my first, second or third language.

finally, as far as how many days are left in november - i was referring to the spirit of november, its very essence - which learned mayan calendar scholars know excludes the last eleven days of the month. use the search function - knowledge is power.

thanks kindly again to your response, looking forward to resolving my issue in a timely manner.

SP1 isn't supported by bootcamp, so it will not run properly. You can download SP2 or SP3 upgrade FREE from microsoft. Another problem is you are trying to run a game at max settings on a computer that is older than the game, and a notebook. That typically will not go well, so I suggest you lower the settings a bit.

Peaking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
SP1 isn't supported by bootcamp, so it will not run properly. You can download SP2 or SP3 upgrade FREE from microsoft. Another problem is you are trying to run a game at max settings on a computer that is older than the game, and a notebook. That typically will not go well, so I suggest you lower the settings a bit.
thanks for the response. this is a very helpful community.

do you think they will fix this with the release of 10.7 wildcat offense? even my mother's emachines supports service pack one. pretty huge oversight by apple in my opinion. until that point i simply cannot afford the "SP2." they are going to trap me with a phantom rebate. NOTHING in life is free, ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY. INVEST IN GOLD. knowledge is power.

i searched high and low for a link re: zune manufacturing plants - but they are concealed under a heavy blanket of anti-microsoft propaganda. wherever the plants are located, they are staffed by well-appointed dock workers. all of this will be irrelevant after 2012 - user the search function.

also i am bad with numbers hence my exaggerated use of 1,000,000 - but i added the qualifier "or whatever" to save myself. :eek:

cliff notes:
-knowledge is power in this economy
-user the search function or whatever

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Yeah, I hear this "SP2" thing is "supposedly" a free download, but if you read the fine print, Microsoft actually gets full rights to your soul and automatic ownership of your first-born child. :rolleyes:

Also, the Zune manufacturing plants are secretly hidden below the surface of the moon.

Peaking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I hear this "SP2" thing is "supposedly" a free download, but if you read the fine print, Microsoft actually gets full rights to your soul and automatic ownership of your first-born child. :rolleyes:

Also, the Zune manufacturing plants are secretly hidden below the surface of the moon.
smart man, understands the power of knowledge - always read the fine print, especially in this economy. hadn't heard the soul-ownership bit, but i will now pass it on as the gospel truth to my followers. also i believe you meant to use the :mad: "icon."

let me make it clear - i thought this was crystal - NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE. you have to pay for the internet used to download the "SP2." trust no one.

if it turns out that 10.7 fire-grimalkin supports service pack one on my hardware, i will buy it -- because of HONESTY.

also not sure where you came up with that moon theory - it is confirmed fact that man has never been on the moon, let alone dock workers/Frank Sobotka. look at the flag etc - indisputable evidence - knowledge? yeah, it's power.

i think we've all learned a lot tonight,

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
this frustration is compounded by the fact that i am waiting for iOS 4.2, which i was told was coming in NOVEMBER - what gives?

It's still November, and will be for another 12 days.

i was referring to the spirit of november, its very essence - which learned mayan calendar scholars know excludes the last eleven days of the month. use the search function - knowledge is power.

Oh, my mistake. I should've assumed that you use the Mayan calendar. How foolish of me. Oddly enough, when I Google "Peaking + Mayan calendar", I don't get any results that tell me which calendar system you prefer... weird.

i can't afford "windows SP2" in this economy

It's free (even in Mayan currencies). Use the search function - knowledge is power.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Peaking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
It's still November, and will be for another 12 days.
if you read above you would see this statement has been made - user the search function please

Oh, my mistake. I should've assumed that you use the Mayan calendar. How foolish of me. Oddly enough, when I Google "Peaking + Mayan calendar", I don't get any results that tell me which calendar system you prefer... weird.
i think i may have been uncrystalclear earlier. let me clarify.

in this economy and especially in THIS POLITICAL CLIMATE there is propaganda abound - don't be distracted, brother. pursue the truth at all costs because THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.

for example, where is obamas birth cirtificate? this life is about HONESTY.

for further enlightenment, i lost my job at a packing plant two weeks ago because THEY CAUGHT ME ON TAPE STEALING BOXES. my associate was like, "yo how you gonna get fired on your day off," to which i had no answer - in this economy the only thing of value is gold.

It's free (even in Mayan currencies). Use the search function - knowledge is power.

:rolleyes:
apologies - thought this was implied - nothing in life is free, except KNOWLEDGE - and even that isn't free! my ultimate point is that nothing is free, including this advice. an invoice will be arriving in your mailbox shortly.

looking forward to the release of 10.7 cheshire-cat (unless they wait until after 12/21/12), when i will return to re-evaluate its performance with XP service pack ONE, crysis, and my zune.

cliff notes:
-power is user search function
-in this gold economy invest in knowledge
-think different

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
do you think they will fix this with the release of 10.7 wildcat offense? even my mother's emachines supports service pack one. pretty huge oversight by apple in my opinion. until that point i simply cannot afford the "SP2." they are going to trap me with a phantom rebate. NOTHING in life is free, ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY. INVEST IN GOLD. knowledge is power.

i searched high and low for a link re: zune manufacturing plants - but they are concealed under a heavy blanket of anti-microsoft propaganda. wherever the plants are located, they are staffed by well-appointed dock workers. all of this will be irrelevant after 2012 - user the search function.

cliff notes:
-knowledge is power in this economy
-user the search function or whatever
I must admit, you had me going up until this part. Kudos. ;)

Peaking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
we've all learned so much this evening - would like to set the record straight on several levels, including current economic ones

1. i don't want to **** with any of you - happily married with two little Peakings running wilde - thought this was implied

b. after this discussion i am certain my zune decision was correct - wish i could share my dope mashups with you ipod brothers on the slopes - but i cant because of propaganda/bureaucracy/missing obama birth certificate

3. when 10.7 hail-garfield drops i'll re-evaluate my decision to switch platforms - but for now i'm back to the emachines - 2007 macbook pro for sale effective immediately - cant even play minecraft on that pos because that game is newer than my macbook (see above comments)

4. in this gold economy invest in knowledge

thanks for your wealth, apologies for tl;dr and truth bombs

smitty078

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
1) Apple will never support XP Service Pack 1. Microsoft doesn't even support it. In fact, Microsoft doesn't support SP2 anymore either.
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...ws-xp-sp2-windows-vista-without-service-packs

2) Zunes are made in China (at least as of 2007)
- http://www.marketwatch.com/story/correct-microsoft-factory-in-china-to-make-new-zunes

3) Zune does not have more capacity than iPod. Largest capacity iPod is same size as largest capacity Zune.
- http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/
- http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunehd/zunehd64/features.htm

4) November has 12 more days.
- http://www.convertunits.com/dates/from/Nov+18,+2010/to/Nov+30,+2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.