PDA

View Full Version : Leopard on Powerbook G4

Chuchichan
Nov 18, 2010, 06:17 PM
Hi,

I have a PowerBook G4 that I purchased about 6 years ago that is running Tiger. I have 2GB of RAM in it.

Applications in general seem to be getting slow and I'd like to rebuild it with Leopard. How well do you think Leopard will run on it?

I've been thinking of upgrading to either a MacBook Pro or MBA. I do basic stuff with it. I might be getting an iphone in the future and I need Leopard on it to synch it with. Other things I do are internet, photos, iphoto, imovie, itunes streaming to stereo, and email.

Thanks.

Intell
Nov 18, 2010, 06:19 PM
Which Powerbook do you have and how fast is the CPU?

Chuchichan
Nov 18, 2010, 07:14 PM
Which Powerbook do you have and how fast is the CPU?

Hi. Sorry for leaving out the important details. I believe I have the PowerBook G4, 15-inch, 1.33 ghz model. I purchased it in about August of 2004.

Here's a link to the specs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP83

What are your thoughts on how well it will run Leopard. To be honest I don't mind keeping it, but of course I don't mind upgrading :)

Basically I need a machine that can synch the latest model ipods and the iphone.

Intell
Nov 18, 2010, 07:22 PM
It should run Leopard well.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 18, 2010, 09:56 PM
My PowerBook ran Leopard just fine when it was a 1.25 GHz model, so you should be fine. The main thing is that you have the whole 2 GB RAM, makes a huge difference when running Leopard.

Chuchichan
Nov 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping though that you would have said it was too old and shouldn't be upgraded so I could get a new laptop:)

mrsir2009
Nov 18, 2010, 11:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping though that you would have said it was too old and shouldn't be upgraded so I could get a new laptop:)

Its too old and shouldn't be upgraded. Get a new laptop. :p

Chuchichan
Nov 19, 2010, 04:00 AM

mrkramer
Nov 19, 2010, 04:11 AM
Iran Leopard for a while on a 12" powerbook that had similar specs but less RAM and it was fine. But if you really want a new computer and have the money you can pretend it's too old and just buy a new one.

bartelby
Nov 19, 2010, 04:17 AM
My 1.5Ghz PB with 2GB ram runs Leopard quite nicely.

iBlue
Nov 19, 2010, 04:22 AM
It runs leopard just fine. It may be SLIGHTLY slower than Tiger but it's worth it for Leopard's features.

My 1.5Ghz G4 does struggle with heavy webpages, particularly with flash, and if I overwhelm it there is an inevitable browser crash. Whenever I see youtube links, I know it's probably better to head off to the Mac Pro. :o

They're still great, made back when Apple showed more care about hardware quality assurance, but they do show their age a little bit.