Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
If using a power strip with switch to turn it on/off, would the Apple TV take any damage or resolve to error seeking mode each time it boots?
a) if doing it without going to settings->standby in the atv menu?
b) if doing it after going to settings->standby in the atv menu?

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Flip the switch after you power it down. You could corrupt the OS on the apple tv if you flip the kill switch first. Be just like doing that to your computer. Not a good idea. Why not leave it on? It will go into sleep mode and doesn't draw much power.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Have the gen1 with hard drive which makes slight sounds and gets hot. I was thinking of having this power switch for my hifi set, to which I also connect my appleTV, so I thought I could simply have it all turned on by the switch.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I have to 40gb model and been on for 2 years. Yeah it gets warm but no big deal. You can try it for awhile and see what happens but think you will corrupt it sooner or later. If you plan on streaming only, consider putting a ssd in it. No moving parts so should be cooler. That's in my plans since small ssd drives are dropping in price. Good luck.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Yeah I 've been thinking of ssd for a while, but want to sync some because I have the computer in the same room (noise, again). Since 128GB SSD would be like $2-300 (almost $400 for PATA version on Newegg) it would be cheaper to just get a 160GB HDD appleTV, which could be easily replaced if it should break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.