PDA

View Full Version : 3 apple tv 1 main library. can it be done?

koopa35
Nov 19, 2010, 09:38 PM
ok i have 1 atv right now and im using my mac mini as the mac everything streams from. ive made a user named apple tv and i leave itunes running at all times. now my question is if i add two more atv to that same library. will i have interference on any atv if some tries to watch them at the same time? also if i have 3 iOS devices as controllers will they interfere as well?

newagemac
Nov 19, 2010, 10:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can have multiple streams going at the same time and they can be the same or different content all coming from the same library. I haven't tried accessing the same library with multiple remotes yet so not sure how that works.

benhollberg
Nov 19, 2010, 11:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can have multiple streams going at the same time and they can be the same or different content all coming from the same library. I haven't tried accessing the same library with multiple remotes yet so not sure how that works.

On the remote app you can choose which Apple TV you want to control.

arnop
Nov 22, 2010, 08:40 AM
On the remote app you can choose which Apple TV you want to control.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it too !

davidwarren
Nov 22, 2010, 08:56 AM
I have three Atv's running off of one iTunes library. I use the Al remotes, and the remote app on my iPhone and iPad. It all works fine.

dXTC
Nov 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
Any single iTunes library can feed an indefinite number of :apple:tv2s simultaneously, provided your network infrastructure can handle the traffic. If your router is an Airport Express, and there are several WiFi devices in addition to your :apple:tvs, you may run into the Express's client limit. Also, if your router does not have Simultaneous Dual Band and any Wi-Fi G device joins the network, then everything slows down to G speeds, which might cause problems with streaming to multiple devices.

Each :apple:tv can have a "unique" name to identify it for AirPlay and remote control purposes. I would assume, then, that a single instance of the Remote app could theoretically control any and all :apple:tvs.