Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValkXB70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Depends on the day
Ok I need some more advice everyone, I just bought a Macbook Air 13" 1.86 gHz, with 2 GB ram, and 256 Gb Flash SSD.

So I am trying to move my files from my HP HDX16. Now, I have around 100 GB of music, videos and apps on itunes. So I bought a Seagate Mobile 500 GB portable drive, and I connected it to my PC. It launched some sort of program and I was able to back everything up. But now when I connect it to my Macbook I have a hell of a time navigating through it to find my stuff.

What I would ideally like is to set up this external drive to store my Itunes movies and tv shows, but what would be the best method of doing this?

loslosbaby

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Oklahoma
Ok I need some more advice everyone, I just bought a Macbook Air 13" 1.86 gHz, ...

What I would ideally like is to set up this external drive to store my Itunes movies and tv shows, but what would be the best method of doing this?

Hey man, congrats, hope your machine is really excellent for you.

There is this great iLounge article on moving iTunes to an external drive. Its working for me very well, except for the following caveat: When you re-dock your ext. drive after being "solo" and doing syncs / buying media etc., you have to go Command-, and reset your iTunes folder to the ext. drive.

I've been doing this and its kinda "best of both worlds" where you can still sync, buy media all that and it sits on your local, home-dir based default iTunes directory. When you plug in, you reset to the ext. dir, and you have the "keep organized" check on...POOF, iTunes will sync that stuff over, and store it in the right places etc. and we're all one big media family again.

Good luck!

G.

p.s. dig the handle, that was the most beautiful thing that ever flew in my book!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.