Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I recently installed AE and I thought everything was going well.
My selections are not being saved in my set up.

I have my AE connected hard wire to my router, a wireless linksys.
I'm able to see my AE and the connection went fine there.

What I want is to be able to connect to my existing wireless network and extend the range/network through out my house.

I follow the prompts in set up to where I get the screen to create a wireless network. I don't want to create a wireless network, I want to connect to a network using ethernet to extend the network.

So I click change settings >connect to a network using ethernet to extend the network > continue

From there I get asked to select the device or network that AE will connect to using ethernet. My first option to show up is my base but what I am looking for is my router or network, right?

So I find my network name and select continue. I then select my security and enter my PW.

The last screen has my final set up and it shows that I am set up to create a wireless network... <not sure if that is correct??>

So I click finish... AE updates and restarts... and when I go into AE again my settings were not saved.

It's like my AE was connected but never configured.
How can i correct that?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You need an Airport Extreme to create a WDS and extend your network with an Airport Express. You're only option is to have it connect to the network like any other device.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
So I need to go and buy an Extreme to extend my network then?
Why is that?

My understanding was that my Linksys router would work well with Express
for what I wanted.

Maybe I didn't understand what I read then??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.