Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Just picked it up yesterday, took it home and was in the middle of updating the OSX software. Left the room and came back in a 1/2 hours and it was shut down.:eek:

Did the update again thinking maybe it was done and had shut it's self down normally but after 10 minutes into just downloading the update the fan started to roar and it simple turned it's self off, again.:eek:

After that I gave up on downloading the update and just started playing with the OSX software when the fan kicked in and it turned off again.:eek: Back in the box for return today. I would get another to replace it but have lost my confidence and will just pay the 10% to get my money back.

I still love my iMac!:)

drbob20

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Small issue & a loss of confidence? Always a bad apple in the bunch (no pun intended). I'm sure you can get your problem resolved with a little patience. Have faith young Jedi.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Life may be a long struggle for you with many disappointments along the way....

Hope I'm wrong...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd suggesting taking it back for an exchange. There are always reports of some bad units every time Apple (or anyone else) releases a brand new or redesigned product. It's possible you just got a dud. That happened to me, but it's been a week with my replacement and so far everything's been fine.

That said, if you do decide you want a refund, have them look at it first and see what the issue is. If they agree you got a defective one they will likely waive the restocking fee.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
MAN I thought i had high expectations you cant go through life thinking everything is perfect from the get go! Stick it out dude! You will NOT regret it, its an awosme machine the light weight is SOOOO nice. or I guess you could go to a huge outdated 15" MBP :)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
You got a lemon, happens to everybody in a lifetime with some type of product. No need to create a whole thread over it, honestly. Do people create threads on forums every time they buy something that was defective in the box? It makes more sense to create a whole thread when you can't get one that works. Just take it back and get another one. Done.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Small issue & a loss of confidence? Always a bad apple in the bunch (no pun intended). I'm sure you can get your problem resolved with a little patience. Have faith young Jedi.

+1. Defective electronics are very common no matter what brand you buy. Work in electronics retail once you will be amazed at how much stuff comes back.

Or work in IT, you'll be amazed how much has to go back that is brand new or how much brand new stuff needs fixing.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Just picked it up yesterday, took it home and was in the middle of updating the OSX software. Left the room and came back in a 1/2 hours and it was shut down.:eek:

Did the update again thinking maybe it was done and had shut it's self down normally but after 10 minutes into just downloading the update the fan started to roar and it simple turned it's self off, again.:eek:

After that I gave up on downloading the update and just started playing with the OSX software when the fan kicked in and it turned off again.:eek: Back in the box for return today. I would get another to replace it but have lost my confidence and will just pay the 10% to get my money back.

I still love my iMac!:)

Your lack of patience cheated you out of a heck of a great computing experience. Too bad for you.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
my guess is it was a financial stretch

LOL. What a poor guesser!

I was wary because it costs so little but then when it would not work, well I figured that is all you get. i own a company with 42 employees.

You likely are not even employed.:eek:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Your lack of patience cheated you out of a heck of a great computing experience. Too bad for you.

I see the little Air fan boies are live and well. I will stick to my W510, the air is way too light duty to do more than a little light duty student work.:eek:

Appleind

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
You got a lemon, happens to everybody in a lifetime with some type of product. No need to create a whole thread over it, honestly. Do people create threads on forums every time they buy something that was defective in the box? It makes more sense to create a whole thread when you can't get one that works. Just take it back and get another one. Done.

Well i guess the OP just wanted some pep talk from us MBA lovers. You have lots of other threads to read btw :rolleyes:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
+1. Defective electronics are very common no matter what brand you buy. Work in electronics retail once you will be amazed at how much stuff comes back.

Or work in IT, you'll be amazed how much has to go back that is brand new or how much brand new stuff needs fixing.

I will not be amazed, two others were at the store returning their Air. One was on his third unit. It does not take 3 for me to realize that it is not "serious" hardware. I was hoping it could actually be used in business but was wrong as it is way to light duty. I have purchased six Thinkpads in the last 4 months and not a single one has had a defect. From what I read in these forums this is not the case with Apple. The iMac would be an embarrassment to any company!

I will agree that Apple has good service ans the refunded my money 100% will not restocking fee, as they should!

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I will not be amazed, two others were at the store returning their Air. One was on his third unit. It does not take 3 for me to realize that it is not "serious" hardware. I was hoping it could actually be used in business but was wrong as it is way to light duty. I have purchased six Thinkpads in the last 4 months and not a single one has had a defect. From what I read in these forums this is not the case with Apple. The iMac would be an embarrassment to any company!

I will agree that Apple has good service ans the refunded my money 100% will not restocking fee, as they should!

so two others were returning their Airs...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Keep moving nothing to see here...

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I have purchased six Thinkpads in the last 4 months and not a single one has had a defect.

The last Thinkpad I bought I had to sell on Ebay just a few days after getting it - the lid wouldn't close evenly on it, but since its not really broke there was nothing else I could do, and Lenovo does not accept returns for anything once you take it out of the box. Not even if you wanted to pay the restocking fee. While it worked fine, the fit/finish of it was really disappointing.

Have owned and used many Thinkpads - IMO the quality now is not what it once was when IBM used to engineer/build them.

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Didn't knew about that 10% return policy, that's wack. I mean if you bought it and returned it the next day, what's the point in Apple keeping 10% for your money back?
2 and half years ago i bought a brand new Nokia n95 8GB and the next day it fried, in electronics there are some products that fail unexpectedly, like 1 in a couple of thousands.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
I have purchased six Thinkpads in the last 4 months and not a single one has had a defect. From what I read in these forums this is not the case with Apple. The iMac would be an embarrassment to any company!

First, you should keep in mind that the people who have defects are far more likely to say something in a forum than those who are perfectly happy with their computers.

Second, regarding the embarrassing iMacs...didn't you say this in another thread?

"I have had just great experience with Apple stuff and I am a WIndows 7 only user (via bootcamp) on all of my iMacs." [emphasis added]

Why do you keep buying them if they're so embarrassing? :confused:

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Sorry I posted on this thread...should have seen the troll in the first post. Light student work my a%%....

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
What you are saying here seems to be the irrational lashing out of a man who has been offended by another poster's suggestion that he couldn't really afford a 13 inch Ultimate MBA. It appears to me, at least, that you may take yourself way, way too seriously to be posting to MacRumors, where some who read your words may have only 41, or even fewer, employees.

If you had considered what posters have been saying about the 13 inch Ultimate MBA here, instead of reacting angrily to another poster, you would have realized that the overwhelming majority of those of us who have this model have found it entirely reliable and incredibly powerful. From this I suggest you would have seen that your initial decision to buy a 13 inch Ultimate was a wise one and your decision to return it is, well, less wise.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007

I have purchased 6 different apple products and never had any issues with them. All except Air were purchased used. Air I received from apple has 0 issues now. Can you explain what is "serious" hardware? 10 pound 18" stinkpad? What kind of business are you in that you find air too light for duty? :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

The air is for a lot more heavy use then people credit it for. I can use Maya, Unity 3D, ZBrush, and XCode on it just fine. I have also ran Logic on it.

As for thinkpads, I won't go there. They are not these amazing tank machines people make them out to be especially since IBM became Lenovo.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
I have purchased 6 different apple products and never had any issues with them. All except Air were purchased used. Air I received from apple has 0 issues now. Can you explain what is "serious" hardware? 10 pound 18" stinkpad? What kind of business are you in that you find air too light for duty? :)

yes and I've purchased double figure number of Apple products and they all had serious issues within 18 months.

whats your point...?

your anecdotal evidence (like mine) is useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.