PDA

View Full Version : General Blu-Ray question

old-wiz
Nov 20, 2010, 03:41 PM
I've been considering buying a stand-alone Blu-Ray player to connect to a 32" HDTV. Unfortunately the HDTV is limited to 720p. (32" was the biggest I could fit into the entertainment center and my wife was not amused by my suggestion to toss the entertainment center and buy a 60" TV.) Right now I simply use Verizon FIOS via HDMI and the picture on the HD channels is fine. My question is would I see improvement in the picture if I were to buy a Blu-Ray player and connect via HDMI, even though it wouldn't be displaying at 1080?

mike457
Nov 20, 2010, 07:54 PM
I've been considering buying a stand-alone Blu-Ray player to connect to a 32" HDTV. Unfortunately the HDTV is limited to 720p. (32" was the biggest I could fit into the entertainment center and my wife was not amused by my suggestion to toss the entertainment center and buy a 60" TV.) Right now I simply use Verizon FIOS via HDMI and the picture on the HD channels is fine. My question is would I see improvement in the picture if I were to buy a Blu-Ray player and connect via HDMI, even though it wouldn't be displaying at 1080?

I'm not sure what you're comparing here. If you mean comparing a standard DVD player to the Blu-Ray player, then yes, the image from a Blu-Ray player playing a blu-ray disk at 720P will look better on a 32" 720p TV than a standard def DVD player playing a standard def DVD. If you mean will it look better than the HD 720p TV picture you are receiving over FIOS, then the answer is probably not.

benhollberg
Nov 20, 2010, 07:59 PM
I have a 50" Samsung plasma TV that I bought before TVs that big were 1080p. Although it does do 1080i, most TV stations only broadcast in 720p. Anyway, I can tell very noticeable difference when playing a Blu-Ray movie than just HD TV from Comcast. I mean it is a pretty big difference.

old-wiz
Nov 21, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the replies.

When I play standard DVDs, it goes into the TV via s-video and it seems almost as good as the HDMI HD from FIOS. Perhaps the TV (A Samsung LN-T3242H) is upscaling the 420 from the DVD player to 720?

mike457
Nov 21, 2010, 11:08 AM
On a 50" TV, I would certainly expect the difference to be conspicuous, particularly because even at the same resolution, TV has to be more aggressive in its use of compression. On a 32", the difference should not be as obvious. Howver, even on a 32" HD TV, the difference between standard DVD over s-video and Blu-ray on HDMI should be readily visible, even allowing for up-conversion on the standard DVD.

RaceTripper
Nov 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies.

When I play standard DVDs, it goes into the TV via s-video and it seems almost as good as the HDMI HD from FIOS. Perhaps the TV (A Samsung LN-T3242H) is upscaling the 420 from the DVD player to 720?

If you are watching DVDs via S-Video you aren't even seeing them at their full resolution. S-Video has a maximum resolution of 480i (interlaced). Standard DVDs support 480p (progressive) output. Unless you have a really old DVD player that doesn't support progressive output, you might try connecting your DVD player with component cables instead of S-Video. You can get component cables, if you don't have them, for almost nothing from monoprice.com.

If you think your standard definition interlaced s-video DVD is nearly as good as HD, then I suspect something is wrong with your setup and you aren't really seeing anything in HD anyway. There should be a significant difference in quality. I have a LN-S3251, and I see a huge difference between standard and high def video.

Your Samsung LN, as a 720 progressive display can only display 720p video. All other video input has to be upscaled or downscaled, and de-interlaced to match. That is either be done by the TV itself or by the output device (like a cable/satellite box).