PDA

View Full Version : Netflix HD Tip

Cyacene
Nov 20, 2010, 04:26 PM
I couldn't find this anywhere else so I thought I would share.

Browsing around Netflix on the Apple TV 2 today, I noticed that when you search for a movie, the results will show you whether or not the movie is in HD. I could not find any hint of this in the standard movie details. Hopefully the HD logo gets added to the standard information view in an update soon!

newagemac
Nov 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tip!

cavemonkey50
Nov 20, 2010, 08:20 PM
Interesting find. I'm pretty sure that's new functionality, so things are looking up for HD flags being added to Netflix. They might be able to push it in a server update, or when the iOS 4.2 update is released.

Slower Pace
Nov 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
I saw that information also, and played one of the Netflix HD movies last night. However, I was disappointed that the sound through my surround sound system was only Dolby Surround, not 5:1 like I anticipated. Anyone else notice this? Maybe :apple:TV2 does not pass 5:1 through Netflix, or maybe Netflix itself does not pass along full surround.

cavemonkey50
Nov 21, 2010, 12:44 AM
I saw that information also, and played one of the Netflix HD movies last night. However, I was disappointed that the sound through my surround sound system was only Dolby Surround, not 5:1 like I anticipated. Anyone else notice this? Maybe :apple:TV2 does not pass 5:1 through Netflix, or maybe Netflix itself does not pass along full surround.

The 5.1 sound is exclusive to the PS3 Netflix app right now, and not all movies have it.