Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdm10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Los Angeles
First off let me say that I'm a college student on a budget.

I can't decide if I should go with a refurbished rev.c or a brand new base 11" mba. The rev.c is $849 and the brand new 11" is $999, both before taxes. The laptop wouldn't be my primary computer, I just need something to have with me to take notes in class, run office programs, and browse the internet. Here are two questions that are of concern to me:

1) sata hard drive vs. flash storage, would i see a noticeable difference in basic usage or just when dealing with large files?

2) battery life. how is the battery life on the rev.c compared to the new 11"s. How many hours should I expect to get out of the 13" rev.c? According to wikipedia the rev.c has a 40-watt hour lithium ion polymer battery versus the 11"s 35-watt hour battery, how does this translate to actual mins/hours?

Thanks in advance :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
First off let me say that I'm a college student on a budget.

I can't decide if I should go with a refurbished rev.c or a brand new base 11" mba. The rev.c is $849 and the brand new 11" is $999, both before taxes. The laptop wouldn't be my primary computer, I just need something to have with me to take notes in class, run office programs, and browse the internet. Here are two questions that are of concern to me:

1) sata hard drive vs. flash storage, would i see a noticeable difference in basic usage or just when dealing with large files?

2) battery life. how is the battery life on the rev.c compared to the new 11"s. How many hours should I expect to get out of the 13" rev.c? According to wikipedia the rev.c has a 40-watt hour lithium ion polymer battery versus the 11"s 35-watt hour battery, how does this translate to actual mins/hours?

Thanks in advance :)

I'd honestly go with the new one. Flash storage makes all the difference in the world. I have been using the 11.6" MBA for work for the last two days and I haven't touch my 17" MBP since.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for your input guys, I decided to go with the new 11". I must say it's pretty sweet.

Nice. It should be great for taking notes, etc. Are you going to change your signature? I noticed you have a MBP, iPhone 3G, and iPad. Not to be judgmental, but if you are on a budget, you might consider whether your new purchase lets you consolidate (i.e. sell) some of your previous purchases. :apple:

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for your input guys, I decided to go with the new 11". I must say it's pretty sweet.

See if you qualify for EPP or Educational discount. Will help you save another $50 bucks or more. But, I agree, coming from a 2.13 128 SSD Rev C, my 11.6" ultimate feels much faster.

southnc

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
macbook-air-11-and-13-benchmarks-vs-macbook-pro.jpg

source: MacWorld

vdm10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Los Angeles
I noticed you have a MBP, iPhone 3G, and iPad. Not to be judgmental, but if you are on a budget, you might consider whether your new purchase lets you consolidate (i.e. sell) some of your previous purchases. :apple:

Yes I sold my mbp, and don't regret it at all. Having the mba is the perfect compliment to my i5 build at home. The size and weight of this thing is just amazing. And the battery life, which was one of my biggest concerns, is actually quite impressive (compared to my 5 year old mbp with a battery life of 2 hrs). I'm getting upwards of 7 hours off of a full charge with my type of usage. I love this thing :)

And the $50 off in-store for being a student was just awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.