Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MuseumVisitor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Hi All,

I'm trying to set up my new Apple TV.

In my Airport Utility I have assigned Apple TV's MAC address and I have unchecked "Create A Closed Network" (SSID Broadcast) so that my privileged Apple TV can be recognize by my router. After I see that everything seems to be working fine, I have deselected "Create a closed network" option, but then my Apple TV is not able to recognize my hidden network anymore.

This is not the case with any of my other devices iPhone, iPad or MacPower Book. Even if I take my iPhone out, of course it looses the connection, but when I get back home it automatically sees and signs me into my not broadcasted wifi.

Am I doing something wrong or its impossible to have Apple TV to work with a hidden network?

Thanks in advance

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
does it reconnect if you unhide?

I've read in a few places that hidden networks really don't give you that much, anyone one that could possibly hack your network, would just as easily be able to find a hidden one.

as long as you have a secure WPA password (WEP is easily broken, and don't use a password like "password") You're about as safe as you can be with wireless.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
all its doing is not broadcasting your SSID, as long as you type in the name of the network to join and the correct passphrase, it should work.

MuseumVisitor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Thanks guys for trying.

I do have WPA2 encryption applied. Yes, it does reconnect if the network is not hidden.

But, once I turn the SSID off, my ATV2 is not seeing the network anymore.
This is not the case with other Apple devices which are all seeing my closed network.

Why is this different with Apple TV?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Thanks guys for trying.

I do have WPA2 encryption applied. Yes, it does reconnect if the network is not hidden.

But, once I turn the SSID off, my ATV2 is not seeing the network anymore.
This is not the case with other Apple devices which are all seeing my closed network.

Why is this different with Apple TV?

weird, I dont broadcast my SSID and dont have a problem with my ATV1's or ATV2's

it does have to be typed EXACTLY as its setup as in apple tv.

not broadcasting it really offers no security except for the fact that if someone is just looking to use wifi, they will go to the neighbors house and use theirs if the fruit is hanging low enough so to speak. wpa can also be cracked in a very short time with the right tools, so just something to keep in the back of your head...

MuseumVisitor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Maybe its just psychological with me, but I feel better when my signal is not broadcasted (although it protects from those who are not so swift with breaking in).

I have entered exactly the same info into my ATV2, but once the broadcasting is closed, it does not see it anymore. If I turn the broadcasting on, it sees it. As soon as its off again, its not recognizing it....

If anyone had the same problem, please let me know how you resolved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.