PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini add-ons: image mockups

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:44 PM
SiliconAddict made the suggestion that there might be a market for add-ons to the Mac mini that stack underneath it. I'd already put together a cheesy RAID mini mockup, but I got to thinking. So the following posts contain some sample image mockups of a variety of add-ons one could place underneath the Mac mini (including a "more-matching" RAID mini). Feel free to suggest other things or post your own ideas.

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:46 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/external_hd.jpg

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:46 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/optical_drive.jpg

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:47 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/fw_usb_hub.jpg

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:48 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/dvi_mirror_hub.jpg

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:49 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/raid_mini.jpg

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:50 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/mail_lcd.jpg

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 04:53 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/eq_lcd.jpg

johnbro23
Jan 15, 2005, 05:17 PM
Is this for real? There would be a huge market for these. Especially the FW/USB ports one. How much do you think the price would be for one of those? If they keep it under $50, it would make the Mini more attractive for those complaining they would have their USBs taken up by keyboard and mouse.

Chaszmyr
Jan 15, 2005, 05:40 PM
Don't forget about a tiny monitor and battery in this same style that attach to the bottom and top like is available for Gamecube

Peyote
Jan 15, 2005, 05:45 PM
Like I mentioned in another thread, I'd love to see one that had a FW, USB and heaphone port at least....a great addition would be one with a memory card slot as well, or an audio input.

johnbro23
Jan 15, 2005, 05:49 PM
They should also make one with built in speakers. Thats one thing that the Mac Mini is missing.

Chaszmyr
Jan 15, 2005, 05:59 PM
They should also make one with built in speakers. Thats one thing that the Mac Mini is missing.

So with all of these addons, the Mac mini is now a 6.5'' square... that's 3' tall :P

A really well engineered product could have just one of these little units that had extra USB, Firewire, a little LCD screen, another HD and another optical drive and be the exact same size as the Mac mini (making it 6.5'' x 6.5'' x 4''), afterall, Apple fit more in it than just that.

dejo
Jan 15, 2005, 06:17 PM
Is this for real? There would be a huge market for these. Especially the FW/USB ports one. How much do you think the price would be for one of those? If they keep it under $50, it would make the Mini more attractive for those complaining they would have their USBs taken up by keyboard and mouse.

No, these aren't for real. Just my overactive imagination. I agree there's probably a market for these. Somehow I doubt the FW/USB hub one could be kept under $50 but what do I know. I'm just the "designer" not the manufacturer or sales department.

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hehe, you guys should see what I got in mind. :cool:

Can't talk about it though, but I'll keep you informed.

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:33 PM
Like I mentioned in another thread, I'd love to see one that had a FW, USB and heaphone port at least....a great addition would be one with a memory card slot as well, or an audio input.

Headphone port?!

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:34 PM
So with all of these addons, the Mac mini is now a 6.5'' square... that's 3' tall :P

A really well engineered product could have just one of these little units that had extra USB, Firewire, a little LCD screen, another HD and another optical drive and be the exact same size as the Mac mini (making it 6.5'' x 6.5'' x 4''), afterall, Apple fit more in it than just that.

Well, dunno if it could be as thin, but even if you'd stack some of those units, you're still taking the same amount of desk space... (compared to the usual gear).

jlewis2k1
Jan 15, 2005, 06:35 PM
you know i think that would be a great idea for companies to make new addons for the mini ... some of the ideas that i have seen in this thread are really neat ideas. i highly doubt there is a way but what if it were possible to have some type of a video upgrade? you know instead on having 32mb vram have the ability to boost it with some addon. just an idea

Mr. Anderson
Jan 15, 2005, 06:39 PM
These are great ideas, but I think they'll need to get a G5 in the mini before they would really take off.

D

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:39 PM
you know i think that would be a great idea for companies to make new addons for the mini ... some of the ideas that i have seen in this thread are really neat ideas. i highly doubt there is a way but what if it were possible to have some type of a video upgrade? you know instead on having 32mb vram have the ability to boost it with some addon. just an idea

Forget any video upgrade, not gonna happen (I got a college degree in computer electronics, so I know what I'm talking about here). :D

Unless some weird company starts making FireWire videocards.... ;)

jlewis2k1
Jan 15, 2005, 06:41 PM
Forget any video upgrade, not gonna happen (I got a college degree in computer electronics, so I know what I'm talking about here). :D

it would have to use firewire 800 if they do ^_^

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:41 PM
These are great ideas, but I think they'll need to get a G5 in the mini before they would really take off.

D

Nope, they're already taking off. Didn't you notice the jump to "shipping in 3-4 weeks" just two days after their announcement?

Not everyone wants/needs a G5, especially those who just want to ditch Microsoft and all the problems related to using their stuff.

Me, I'm just waiting until the Mac mini ships with Tiger, then I'm putting my order for the basic model!

Edit: Apple to manufacture 100,000 Mac minis a month (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=839)

jlewis2k1
Jan 15, 2005, 06:45 PM
Me, I'm just waiting until the Mac mini ships with Tiger, then I'm putting my order for the basic model!

same here, it would be my first mac too!

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:48 PM
it would have to use firewire 800 if they do ^_^

Even if they did, the Mac mini only has a FireWire 400 port.

And even if they tried, it wouldn't be possible: FireWire 800 = 800mbits/sec. That's 100MB/sec. The new GeForce 6800 video card has a memory bandwidth of 22.4 GB/sec.

Even if the Radeon 9200 is 100 times slower than the GeForce 6800, that's still 224MB/sec.

Edit: ok, I compared the GPU/VRAM bandwidth vs what should've been the AGP bus... But still, the original AGP 1x specification ran at 66 MHz and provided 266 MB/s of bandwidth, that's still more than twice the maximum of FireWire 800.

So, FireWire 800 might be great, but videocards are in a league of their own. :)

Peyote
Jan 15, 2005, 06:52 PM
Headphone port?!

It's what you plug your headphones into on a computer.

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 06:57 PM
It's what you plug your headphones into on a computer.

Yeah, but I mean why would you want that on a hub that goes under the Mac mini... There's already a headphones output in the back of the Mac mini!

Peyote
Jan 15, 2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but I mean why would you want that on a hub that goes under the Mac mini... There's already a headphones output in the back of the Mac mini!

A) so that I have two headphone ports. One for my desktop speakers, and another for my wireless headphones

B) So that I have a line out/headphones port on the front instead of the back.

There's already USB ports on the back, why would anyone want ports on the front? Same reasons.

roadapple
Jan 15, 2005, 07:14 PM

these guys seem weird

http://www.villagetronic.com/

brap
Jan 15, 2005, 07:15 PM
I think a combined CD drive/FW/USB hub would work just fine, and fit in with the tiny philosophy, if it were engineered well enough.

There might also be a market for that RAID controller, since the Mini would make a cracking webserver - only downside is the FW400 bus it would probably use. It may also be useful as a combined router/switch, so it could be powered separately and offer the advantages of NAS... but again, you'd probably want base1000T for that, base100 is just too slow.

Toppa G's
Jan 15, 2005, 07:23 PM

From the Mac mini Tech Specs page:

Audio
Built-in speaker
Headphone/Audio Line-out jack

yippy
Jan 15, 2005, 07:23 PM
I blieve the mac mini has a built in speaker. Look right below the CD drive in this picture from the apple website.

edit: Beaten to the internal speaker thing. :rolleyes:

roadapple
Jan 15, 2005, 07:34 PM
?

rendezvouscp
Jan 15, 2005, 07:45 PM
roadapple, sorry, but ew. It reminds me of those "Made for Windows..." stickers on the front of PC's.
-Chase

CanadaRAM
Jan 15, 2005, 07:49 PM

Or USB2 video cards, like this? Tritton SEE-2 USB2 video adaptor
http://www.trittonsales.com/products/TRIUV100.htm

There are no (repeat, no) drivers for Mac for this unit. But USB video is a reality, within SVGA resolutions.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

jlewis2k1
Jan 15, 2005, 07:50 PM
ok here is an idea that i tried to come up with. how about an addon that has an display? here is my attempt of showing that idea. with and without the mini

Mechcozmo
Jan 15, 2005, 08:01 PM

There are no (repeat, no) drivers for Mac for this unit. But USB video is a reality, within SVGA resolutions.

Meh... no higher than 16-bit quality at 1024x768... that would make OS X look ugly...

MacNeXT
Jan 15, 2005, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't it have been cool if the Mini had a cardbus port on the back??? If it uses the Intrepid chip just like the iBook and PowerBook (I suspect it does), the interface is already there. Nevermind, just dreaming here...

Anyway... If third parties come up with stackable modules, I hope they won't have much trouble with making them exactly the same color and shade of metal. That's really important, it has to look good.

I don't really mind about a USB/FW hub, but a FW hard disk case would be great. Will a 3.5" drive fit in such a small box?

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 09:25 PM
A) so that I have two headphone ports. One for my desktop speakers, and another for my wireless headphones

B) So that I have a line out/headphones port on the front instead of the back.

There's already USB ports on the back, why would anyone want ports on the front? Same reasons.

Ok, so basically, a pass-through that disable the back output when you connect your headphones on the front.

Didn't think about that one.

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 09:25 PM
these guys seem weird

http://www.villagetronic.com/

This is a cardbus videocard, not firewire.

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 09:33 PM

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Yeah, but judging from their description, I'm pretty sure that's no full-screen, full refresh device. Don't plan on playing any 3D games with such a thing. This external device seems to act kinda like a remote terminal display, but connected to a USB 2.0 port...

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 09:37 PM
Anyway... If third parties come up with stackable modules, I hope they won't have much trouble with making them exactly the same color and shade of metal. That's really important, it has to look good.

Aluminium isn't metal. :D

I don't really mind about a USB/FW hub, but a FW hard disk case would be great. Will a 3.5" drive fit in such a small box?

Yes, yes it fits.

Phat_Pat
Jan 15, 2005, 09:44 PM
The Mac Mini has built in speakers...... i messed with them at Macworld.

edit: whoops didnt see the second page here :o

OutThere
Jan 15, 2005, 09:54 PM
The Mac Mini has built in speakers...... i messed with them at Macworld.

edit: whoops didnt see the second page here :o

I shudder at the thought of what the speakers must sound like... :eek:

OutThere
Jan 15, 2005, 10:00 PM
How about this as a plan - an office system based off of Mac Minis:

You come into work, bringing with you your highly portable Mini, and dock it in a large box at the end of the line of cubicles (urg), that resembles a removable raid drive system. Inside the box, cables lead to your desk, and the computer acts as a punch card - so when it docks, you punch in, and when you take it out, it punches out. Now - here are the advantages: It leaves you with just a monitor and mouse at your desk, and you only have one computer, no more hassles with leaving files on the work computer. Now, some may say that a laptop is easier, but why force yourself to use a smaller screen and pay more for the computer - use a mac mini docking station!

Hmmm...reading back on this idea it seems a little, well, dumb, but hey, what the hell. :D

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 11:52 PM
I shudder at the thought of what the speakers must sound like... :eek:

I can only see one speaker on that opened-up Mac mini picture. I shudder at the thought of what that speaker must sound like!

Then again, it's better than the integrated BEEP-BEEP of PCs... (ok, that was a cheap one, even low-cost PC motherboards now come with built-in audio)

Yvan256
Jan 15, 2005, 11:54 PM
How's THAT for a mock-up?

3Memos
Jan 16, 2005, 12:08 AM
media reader

SiliconAddict
Jan 16, 2005, 05:37 AM
LOL. Thanks. :D

dejo. You missed the iPod docking chunk. :) I was thinking it could sit under the main unit and be at a 60* angle to the base. So instead of sliding it in so it might push the unit back you slide it in at an angle so you are pushing down and back.

The below item could also be the UPS for the mini. Maybe have 4 little lights that show the remaining charge on the battery. Like they have on the ibook and PowerBook batteries. Remember folks Jonathan is spelled with a Jon not John. I expect those royalty checks to be spelled right. ;) :D

Seriously though another thought is a communication expansion package that sits ontop of the mini. So for those who want to go BlueTooth post mini purchase you can simply plug in the .3" high unit and, BAM! you got 802.11G, BlueTooth. Also each one of these devices is going to need an additional USB or Firewire slot to daisy chain with. It really is too bad that Apple didn't add a FireWire 800 port as well. :(

SiliconAddict
Jan 16, 2005, 05:58 AM
I blieve the mac mini has a built in speaker. Look right below the CD drive in this picture from the apple website.

edit: Beaten to the internal speaker thing. :rolleyes:

The idea of a speaker block came to mind as well but I blew if off because people want stereo sound at the minimum. Which means having another block on the other side. If this block on the other side isn’t symmetrical it would look weird so it would have to be as big as the mini with the block under it. Ick.

SiliconAddict
Jan 16, 2005, 06:23 AM
OK. So I’m going on a bender on this. How about this? An entertainment hub?
Its about 2.1 inches high, 2 feet wide, and 6.8” deep. Here’s how it works. The devices has an external (but internal) 100GB hard drive in it along with an Eye TV type device ( http://tinyurl.com/4v2s8), and a forward facing IR port. The left side of the unit slides off revealing 3 cables.
1 to the IR port, one to the hard drive, and one to the TVIO like unit. The mini slides in smoothly so that the front is flush with the from of the device. Why? Because there is a slot to slide in your DVD disks into the mini. Once you’ve connected the various plugs, installed the mini, and placed the cover back on the side of the unit, and plugged it into your DVI port on your TV (Or used the provided adapter.) you hit the power button on the front corner, right side of the unit. The Apple logo on the front of the device glows white and softly blinks as it boots up. Once you are in OS X you pop in the provided CD. This installed a media center type interface that guides you through how to use your remote control and the media center. It also guides you through setting up your wireless connection because since this IS a tivo like system it needs listings which it downloads off the net either via your WIFI network (The unit also comes with 802.11B/G) or the modem on the mini.
Gah. Its 6AM. I gotta get to bed. Damn you Apple and your cool little computer!!

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2005, 08:34 AM
How about this as a plan - an office system based off of Mac Minis:

You come into work, bringing with you your highly portable Mini, and dock it in a large box at the end of the line of cubicles (urg), that resembles a removable raid drive system. Inside the box, cables lead to your desk, and the computer acts as a punch card - so when it docks, you punch in, and when you take it out, it punches out. Now - here are the advantages: It leaves you with just a monitor and mouse at your desk, and you only have one computer, no more hassles with leaving files on the work computer. Now, some may say that a laptop is easier, but why force yourself to use a smaller screen and pay more for the computer - use a mac mini docking station!

Hmmm...reading back on this idea it seems a little, well, dumb, but hey, what the hell. :D

I mentioned this as a possibility for my purchase of the PB a year ago. I really didn't need a notebook, just something that I could take between home and work.

Some would scoff, but their are some like myself had to purchase my computer on my own. But then again at $499 to start, the company might have stepped up to the plate.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2005, 08:36 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/fw_usb_hub.jpg

I could even see a version of this with a multi-card reader.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2005, 08:37 AM
Don't forget about a tiny monitor and battery in this same style that attach to the bottom and top like is available for Gamecube

I was thinking of the same thing after seeing LCD screens for the PS 1.

virividox
Jan 16, 2005, 09:12 AM

i second that!!! great idea

Jovian9
Jan 16, 2005, 09:27 AM
Wouldn't it have been cool if the Mini had a cardbus port on the back??? If it uses the Intrepid chip just like the iBook and PowerBook (I suspect it does), the interface is already there. Nevermind, just dreaming here...

XtremeMac made a FW/USB Hub that sat underneath the iMac G4 and matched it.......it looked great.....I had one for my iMac G4's. I think the Mac Mini has a lot of chance to have add-ons.

To the original starter of this thread: Great mock-ups!

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2005, 09:29 AM
Another thought would be a TV tuner module like this from Viewsonic:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/vb50hrtv/

roadapple
Jan 16, 2005, 10:14 AM
roadapple, sorry, but ew. It reminds me of those "Made for Windows..." stickers on the front of PC's.
-Chase

yeah I'm sorry, that was just a symbolic effort, but I can't help but think that this new machine is underpowered. I would say the mini would be good for my mother for email (her win98 works great now) but not for my sister who may want to do video and have an "average" system for 2-3 years.

But what if you could add addtional processors in this manner when you needed it? Mini mac getting to slow for Tiger or your new video hobbie? Just add another g4 or g5, maybe you could even use your old g3 sitting in the closet to help out?

Yvan256
Jan 16, 2005, 10:32 AM
yeah I'm sorry, that was just a symbolic effort, but I can't help but think that this new machine is underpowered. I would say the mini would be good for my mother for email (her win98 works great now) but not for my sister who may want to do video and have an "average" system for 2-3 years.

Will the Mac mini really be underpowered for light home video editing? My brother is planning on purchasing a Mac mini mainly for iMovie/iDVD.

His current setup is a Celeron 700 with WinXP, but he's planning on either a Mac mini or an upgrade to his PC (Athlon something, new mobo, new power supply, new RAM, already bought a 80GB HD).

Of course, his PC will never have iMovie/iDVD, but will the Mac mini handle it? (with 512MB RAM)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2005, 10:39 AM

But what if you could add addtional processors in this manner when you needed it? Mini mac getting to slow for Tiger or your new video hobbie? Just add another g4 or g5, maybe you could even use your old g3 sitting in the closet to help out?

Under powered I think not, except for speed freaks. I do page layout and PS work on my PB 1ghz and see no real speed issues. I have even heard of people doing decent video work on lesser speeds. The bottleneck may be the HDD speed though.

roadapple
Jan 16, 2005, 11:10 AM
Will the Mac mini really be underpowered for light home video editing? My brother is planning on purchasing a Mac mini mainly for iMovie/iDVD.

His current setup is a Celeron 700 with WinXP, but he's planning on either a Mac mini or an upgrade to his PC (Athlon something, new mobo, new power supply, new RAM, already bought a 80GB HD).

Of course, his PC will never have iMovie/iDVD, but will the Mac mini handle it? (with 512MB RAM)

Don’t listen to me; the mini 1.25 g4 is a powerful computer that works fine for all for the current iLife apps.

I am not in the market for a new mac, I am just thinking about what I hope apple will release in the next 1-2 years, which is a completely differently then when one is actually going to buy a new system. Using my sister as the switcher, the $499 mini could be a good start if money was tight and she had a good monitor, but if she was going to add the superdrive and some ram, plus a 3rd party flat screen, then maybe the 17” (pushing $1600) imac g5 would be better over the long run. Then we could make that some argument to justify a powermac…

The mini is a cool little system that hopefully will be right for many people. Although at that price it losses one of the best aspects of a mac, having everything you need in the box, just plug it in and it works. Maybe try to use one before you buy it, I never thought that my current 667 g4 was “slow” till I used a dual 2.0 g5.

Yvan256
Jan 16, 2005, 11:21 AM
Don’t listen to me; the mini 1.25 g4 is a powerful computer that works fine for all for the current iLife apps. [...] Maybe try to use one before you buy it, I never thought that my current 667 g4 was “slow” till I used a dual 2.0 g5.

Problem is, we don't have any Apple store in Canada (and we'll probably never have one where we live), nor any Apple reseller (I think one local shop is an Apple reseller, but he has zero Apple gear in stock, never mind on a demo floor).

The only way we could try a Mac mini would be to drive almost 2 hours to a store in Montreal. Makes for a long trip back-and-forth to simply try out a computer.

iJon
Jan 16, 2005, 11:23 AM
The mini does have a built in speaker. It's nothing to write home about but it's there.

jon

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 01:13 PM

Did you see post #47? 3Memos did a mockup.

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 01:18 PM
dejo. You missed the iPod docking chunk.

Yeah, I know. My Photoshop skills limited my ability to create a mockup without it just looking like a box with a black hole in it.

The below item could also be the UPS for the mini. Maybe have 4 little lights that show the remaining charge on the battery. Like they have on the ibook and PowerBook batteries.

Now that I could probably do. I think it might need a big toggle power switch too, like most UPSes come with. I'll post a new pic if I have success.

MacNeXT
Jan 16, 2005, 01:37 PM
Aluminium isn't metal. :D

Yes it is :)

confuzatron
Jan 16, 2005, 01:54 PM
http://chromey.myby.co.uk/ifloppy.jpg

AliensAreFuzzy
Jan 16, 2005, 01:57 PM
I think he's just being a smart*** because technically it's a metaloid

snkTab
Jan 16, 2005, 01:57 PM
have you seen the new ps2s? i have one and it is ultra small. it would be awesome if they made one to fit under a mini, using the minis drive bay and memory but the ps2s gpu and controller ports.

_bnkr612
Jan 16, 2005, 02:28 PM

just buy this (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~267261.asp)

Seems like a sexy deal.

jlewis2k1
Jan 16, 2005, 02:31 PM

who uses floppies these days? i seriously thought that floppies were long gone.

Yvan256
Jan 16, 2005, 02:32 PM

I thought metal had to be magnetic? Magnets can't pull aluminium...

Oh well, my mistake. :D

Yvan256
Jan 16, 2005, 02:34 PM

Is that 720KB, 1.44MB, 2.88MB, Zip 100MB or Zip 250MB? ;)

Yvan256
Jan 16, 2005, 02:43 PM
I don't know guys, this is getting ridiculous... :D

confuzatron
Jan 16, 2005, 02:43 PM
Is that 720KB, 1.44MB, 2.88MB, Zip 100MB or Zip 250MB? ;)

Well, the 'Mini' is a mass-market entry-level machine, so anything more than 720Kb would be a bit over the top (IMHO).
People who need the full 1.44 meg would most likely have purchased a G5 or power mac.

confuzatron
Jan 16, 2005, 02:47 PM
who uses floppies these days? i seriously thought that floppies were long gone.

Good point.

BTW, having never owned a Mac before in my life, I just ordered myself a Mac Mini 1.4GHz. Tee hee!

aswitcher
Jan 16, 2005, 02:49 PM

If someone brings out an iPod dock (FW or USB) with speakers (for Mac Mini/iPod) that is designed to nicely sit on top of the Mac Mini, and also provides a 4 port USB 2.0 hub from ports left and right, then we are talking attractive Mac Mini accessory.

_bnkr612
Jan 16, 2005, 02:56 PM

humor.

http://www.bnkrdesign.com/idock.jpg

MacNeXT
Jan 16, 2005, 03:18 PM
I think he's just being a smart*** because technically it's a metaloid

It's not a metalloid, it's a metal.

Sabbath
Jan 16, 2005, 03:38 PM

Hahaha excellent the Mac maxi only 6.5" square but 4 foot tall! Seriously though I expect some of these add-ons would be really good, but they're probably going to be way too expensive if made to the same quality as the Mac mini itself.

Mechcozmo
Jan 16, 2005, 04:27 PM
It's not a metalloid, it's a metal.

It is a metal. It is not a metalloid despite being on the "steps" and it is also not a transition metal. Aluminum is just a plain metal. Download "Elements 1.0" and see for yourself.

And why isn't there a Mac Mini add on? For those of us that need a second processor, hard drive, monitor, and CD drive? :rolleyes:

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 04:28 PM

Yeah, it's starting to look frighteningly like a PC tower!

Cosmo_
Jan 16, 2005, 07:05 PM
it's too late.. ;)

(i know it's the wrong font - sorry :D)

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 08:03 PM
Okay, SiliconAddict, here's your UPS mini. Not a very exciting rendition.

http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/ups_front.jpg

Only the front view. The rear view is left as an exercise for the reader.

Cosmo_
Jan 16, 2005, 08:03 PM
ok last picture .. now it's really late :D

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 08:04 PM
Threw in headphone, USB and FW ports.

http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/speakers.jpg

AliensAreFuzzy
Jan 16, 2005, 09:08 PM
It is a metal. It is not a metalloid despite being on the "steps" and it is also not a transition metal. Aluminum is just a plain metal. Download "Elements 1.0" and see for yourself.
Darn my high school Chemistry teacher!

Yvan256
Jan 16, 2005, 09:11 PM
And why isn't there a Mac Mini add on? For those of us that need a second processor, hard drive, monitor, and CD drive? :rolleyes:

Well, remove your monitor requirement, and the add-on is already available!

It's called... the Mac mini! :D

andypress
Jan 16, 2005, 11:52 PM
How are you guys planning on connecting these? The firewire port?

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 12:38 AM
wireless firewire! :D :p

lol no but it would probably have to plug into everything that has been added to it. (USB, Audio, Firewire, ect....)

snkTab
Jan 17, 2005, 12:55 AM

please tell me your not soliciting for people to join a pyramid scheme in your sig.

clayj
Jan 17, 2005, 12:57 AM
please tell me your not soliciting for people to join a pyramid scheme in your sig.He is. There seem to be a lot of these that involve getting a free* Mac mini.

* Free, of course, requiring all sorts of conditions, including actually BUYING something and getting your friends to also participate.

Phat_Pat
Jan 17, 2005, 12:57 AM
please tell me your not soliciting for people to join a pyramid scheme in your sig.
i love the stars..... they bring out the "freeness" of the mac products :rolleyes: :p

andypress
Jan 17, 2005, 01:14 AM
Yes, and no. I've been around here for quite some time, have over 50 apples(1st gen ppc's) and really want an mac mini, although money is a little short being in high school, soo, this is really the only way to ever hope of owning something that won't crap out everyday, and the imac is powerful enough to be used as my main computer.

Mechcozmo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:26 AM
Well, remove your monitor requirement, and the add-on is already available!

It's called... the Mac mini! :D

Damn, I posted that when I wasn't thinking. :D

Yes, and no. I've been around here for quite some time, have over 50 apples(1st gen ppc's) and really want an mac mini, although money is a little short being in high school, soo, this is really the only way to ever hope of owning something that won't crap out everyday, and the imac is powerful enough to be used as my main computer.

Sad story, really. But spamming and the whole free-iPodz or whatever it is is an instantly ban-able offense.
Why don't you just sell your 1st Generation PPCs, then? Sell a few of them and you could easily get enough $$$ for a Mac Mini...

Chaszmyr
Jan 17, 2005, 08:00 AM

This would be the best product ever. Email this to Apple or something, I want one!

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 09:00 AM
Sad story, really. But spamming and the whole free-iPodz or whatever it is is an instantly ban-able offense.
Why don't you just sell your 1st Generation PPCs, then? Sell a few of them and you could easily get enough $$$ for a Mac Mini...

He said "the iMac is enough for now" too. So he's not a desperate switcher either... Some people just want too much stuff. :rolleyes:

emotion
Jan 17, 2005, 09:15 AM
i have a feeling asteroid might be in the style of one of these mac mini add-ons (esp. going on what the appleinsider mockups looked like, before the mac mini was announced)

i've talked about this in another thread so scuse if i repeat myself

Palad1
Jan 17, 2005, 09:39 AM

Must be...

You forgot the IR receiver as well as an SVideo out.
You don't want composite TV output, ever :)

andypress
Jan 17, 2005, 09:50 AM
Damn, I posted that when I wasn't thinking. :D

You and I know that those are basically worthless. And btw, it was a spelling mistake. Should have een isn't, but that waht happens when I'm up late. My imac can only really handle basic tasks, and even still, I haven't been able to get it to print to a network printer.

Cosmo_
Jan 17, 2005, 10:24 AM
Must be...

You forgot the IR receiver

IR?! bluetooth :D

Palad1
Jan 17, 2005, 10:31 AM
IR?! bluetooth :D
I must be showing my age, you're right, IR is soooooo twentieth century! ;)

Cosmo_
Jan 17, 2005, 03:09 PM
i think i'll mail
http://cosmo.iw4n.com/mediadock.jpg
to griffin :D

BWhaler
Jan 17, 2005, 04:19 PM
Great job. These look very cool.

Peyote
Jan 17, 2005, 10:41 PM
I guess I'm the only one that would prefer a headphone port on the front?! :confused:

dejo
Jan 18, 2005, 12:36 AM
I guess I'm the only one that would prefer a headphone port on the front?! :confused:

Yeah, that mighta been real nice on the Mac mini itself but I had mocked up an audio/USB/FW hub; just forgot to post it. So, here goes:

http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/fw_usb_audio_hub.jpg

Has both audio in (left side) and audio out (right side).

Phat_Pat
Jan 20, 2005, 11:41 PM
its so small it actual probably wouldn't really matter. It would be like putting a port on the bottom of an iPod so you don't have to turn it. When you see one in person you will be shocked in how small it is.

TheInevitable
Jan 21, 2005, 01:04 AM
I threw this in another thread before I found this thread. Check how we hook up the bluetooth.

http://www.sonofabinch.com/images/mini_hub.jpg

http://www.sonofabinch.com/images/mini_hub_example.jpg

Lacero
Jan 21, 2005, 01:08 AM
I threw this in another thread before I found this thread. Check how we hook up the bluetooth.

http://www.sonofabinch.com/images/mini_hub.jpg

http://www.sonofabinch.com/images/mini_hub_example.jpg

Nice design. Makes sense for the Mini to rest atop of the hub. Appears there needs to be vent holes as the mini draws cold air from the bottom.

TheInevitable
Jan 21, 2005, 01:14 AM
Nice design. Makes sense for the Mini to rest atop of the hub. Appears there needs to be vent holes as the mini draws cold air from the bottom.

I thought the ventilation was on the back? Is it on the bottom too?

http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/indexports20050111.jpg

sPAULj
Jan 21, 2005, 01:42 AM

Air is drawn in from bottem ventilation holes found around the edge, and the air is pushed through the back ventilation holes :)

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 02:48 AM

Yup. Maybe just alter your design a little to have some vents near the edge of the surface that can draw air from other vents on the bottom or back into the bottom of the Mac mini case.

I like your design, though. Even though it's different than my mockups that more closely imitate the look of the mini, it still compliments it very nicely. Plus your photoshop skills seem significantly better than mine, what with the table reflection underneath and all. Curious: how did you create the view of the mini from the front but slightly above but with CD missing? Did you use Apple's pics as source?

P.S. I'm getting picky here but your FireWire logo looks like it needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

TheInevitable
Jan 21, 2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I used the photo of the Mac Mini with the disk sticking out as a model. The firewire logo was turned sideways so that you could turn it upside-down and stick it on top of the Mac Mini without it looking upside-down.

TheInevitable
Jan 21, 2005, 03:43 AM
My favorite feature is the secret bluetooth dongle compartment.

(Sssshhhhhhhh. Its a secret)

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I used the photo of the Mac Mini with the disk sticking out as a model. The firewire logo was turned sideways so that you could turn it upside-down and stick it on top of the Mac Mini without it looking upside-down.

Well kudos for removing the disc from the pic. Looks very clean.

Stick in on top, eh? Hmm. Interesting. Yeah, makes complete sense, then. (But then what about the USB logo? I'm just asking for trouble, aren't I? ;) )

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 03:53 AM
My favorite feature is the secret bluetooth dongle compartment.

(Sssshhhhhhhh. Its a secret)

That is a cool feature, although I'll never cop to it's existence, not even under oath. :)

pcp_ip
Jan 21, 2005, 06:28 AM
I posted this in the other thread about the power plug's extra connectors-- but it may have been more appropriate here. There's speculation all over that the mini is just phase one in a plan for a home entertainment system that uses an external box to provide elgato type DVR functions:

http://www.studio2f.com/misc/2005/01/12mac_mini_less_is_more.php

rdowns
Jan 21, 2005, 06:33 AM
This thread is sure fun but let's have a little reality check here. As a sales and marketing guy, here's the questions I would ask.

The mini is an entry level box, would users pay for all these types of add-ons? Would they need them? Many of these things would cost 25% or more of the mini's price. If users wanted or needed this functionality, wouldn't they have chosen another Apple computer?

Is the mini even a sales success? We hardly know at this point. Before you point to its 3-4 week lead time after being on the market for only a week, let's look at Apple's poor history of forecasting demand. (I'm convinced they couldn't forecast demand for water in the Sahara desert)

Who is buying these? Is it the faithful scarfing up the new cool Mac or is Apple really growing their market share? If the former, then they have other Apple computers that do these things. What will sales be like after the initial hype dies down?

Some will point to the iPod economy that has thrived and compare these proposed products to it but the iPod reaches many more users than this ever will. Most iPod accessories are well under 50 bucks.

If this market really does exist, Apple will never leave it to third parties. Maybe this is a test for selling a true modular Mac.

Off my soapbox, any other cool ideas for mini add-ons?

Just found this on AI:

Finally, sources note that the mini's non-standard power connector contains too many leads to serve solely as a power source, and could provide hints of upcoming add-ons...

Let the speculation continue.

Benj
Jan 21, 2005, 06:33 AM
Peyote - that is a really, really nasty avatar!

ruud
Jan 21, 2005, 07:47 AM
The mini is an entry level box, would users pay for all these types of add-ons? Would they need them? Many of these things would cost 25% or more of the mini's price. If users wanted or needed this functionality, wouldn't they have chosen another Apple computer?
If you want to use your own display (or want to have the flexibility to change display without changing your computer), the only choices you have are the Mini or the Power Mac. You can buy a LOT of accessories for the Mini for the price difference.

jbirk5000
Jan 21, 2005, 12:15 PM
mininode... sorry i didn't add the swappable drive...

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 12:19 PM
mininode... sorry i didn't add the swappable drive...

Interesting. What functions does it have?

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 12:27 PM
This thread is sure fun but let's have a little reality check here.

Sorry. Reality checks are not allowed in this thread. It's just meant as a way to pass the time and inspire crazy ideas. But if I were to dip my head into reality for a second, I think a well-priced USB/FW/etc. hub would draw enough customers to make it worth producing. But the price would have to be right.

Just found this on AI:

Finally, sources note that the mini's non-standard power connector contains too many leads to serve solely as a power source, and could provide hints of upcoming add-ons...

Let the speculation continue.

That hopeful theory had been pretty well debunked by a number of EEs on other threads. Too bad but it's just for power. But there's still other ports that could be used for those "add-ons"...

jbirk5000
Jan 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
Interesting. What functions does it have?at-home-clustering, of course... (not recommended for competing against virginia tech et al)

tooflets
Jan 21, 2005, 02:36 PM
Threw in headphone, USB and FW ports.

http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Pictures/mac_mini_addons/speakers.jpg

Apple can work with Bose on this one.

Hattig
Jan 21, 2005, 02:52 PM
it's too late.. ;)
<< PICTURE OF INTEGRATED ADDON >>
(i know it's the wrong font - sorry :D)

It is nice, and I'm sure that someone will make something like that, possibly with a one or two drive 2.5" Firewire attached hard drive caddy inside.

This is where I will ask for some technical aspects to be taken into account. Namely, there isn't a magical communication port underneath the Mac Mini, so all add-ons will have to attach with either Firewire or USB, or both.

That means that they'll need the input USB or Firewire port on them as well.

So replace the TV In / Out port with a USB2 in and Firewire in port. Add a couple of LEDs on the front to denote hard drive access. Err, maybe power could be split off the Mac Mini input, but it'll still need to be powered. Thinking technically, you'd most likely have a 4 port USB hub - one on front, three on the rear. Dunno about Firewire hubs , but with an internal Firewire IDE interface, and a front Firewire port, that'd probably leave 2 firewire ports for the back with a 4 port FW hub. A special interconnect could be made to connect the Mac Mini's USB and Firewire port to the inputs on the Mac Mini Expansion and look reasonably tidy.

Maybe Creative could make a Mac Mini styled version of their USB sound card, Extigy.

[* edit] it seems that Firewire hubs come in 2, 3, 4 and 6 port version, at reasonable prices. I imagine that something mid-range would be used in a general expansion.

This is what it'd probably look like, although I'm crap at drawing so the connector probably looks a bit crappy. I forgot that the media card slots would use up another USB port, so I removed the media card slots, they don't strike me as a very Apple thing to include. I edited the image someone else did of course.

Palad1
Jan 21, 2005, 04:59 PM
Just wait for apple Asteroid... i can just feel it coming :)

Manzana
Jan 21, 2005, 05:18 PM
The point is that 2 years ago people were freakin' out because an ipod cost 400 bucks and who would spend that much for a music player blah blah

Well I bought my 40g for 500. now there is a huge industry for ipod 3rd party addons, and people buy them. from 50 cases (i've seen some for 200) to 300 dollar bose add-ons. I hope 3rd party people are creative, and if the mini is succesful we should have a dirge of accesories that will benifit everyone, hopefully useful things for my powerbook like an affordably priced fw tv-tuner!

jeremy.king
Jan 21, 2005, 06:03 PM
How about a Mini Microwave? for mini TV dinners.

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 06:06 PM
Cool. I was considering mocking up a toaster/oven add-on as a lark. Yunno, for heating up that single slice of pizza. :)

brap
Jan 21, 2005, 06:33 PM
Cool. I was considering mocking up a toaster/oven add-on as a lark. Yunno, for heating up that single slice of pizza. :)
Someone already did it (http://www.worldofwibble.com/aboutriscpc.html). 9 years ago!

dstorey
Jan 21, 2005, 08:26 PM
I think there would be a market for a hub (with the lack of usb/firewire) and hard disk. Many people will buy the mini with only a 40 gb disk, which is also pretty slow. As it is targeted to iPod users, many customers will have 20-40 GB capacity for tunes alone. Of course not everyone fills their iPod, but even so... And with a review on Maccentral stating, i think, that the software on the mini takes over 13 GB, there already isn' much room to play around with and space would run out fast, creating a quite healthy market for an apple branded hd component.

Apple has possibly made the design like a flat slab on purpose, to make it like a new size of stackable components that will replace a hi-fi stack in the living room. The mini already has a dvd player, Apple could quite easily make an iPod station, which has high quality audio circuits in and sinks with a iPod and works as a music player in its own right. connecting it to an mac mini will allow the user to be able to download songs from the itms onto it. Asteroid already looks like it is designed to stack with the mac mini, although the ports on the top would have to move, unless it was the top unit of a second stack, such as how them mini separate systems are often stacked in two stacks of two. I wouldn't be surprised if Airport is redesigned in the mac mini style, so that if you have multiple computers it could be stacked under the mac mini closest to the broadband ethernet jack or just match it's style anyway. The current airport looks kinda dated now most new white apple products include aluminium as well except the iPod, and the current design has been around a while.

To me it makes marketing sense to make add-ons that match the mini. Users are more likely to buy the apple styled add ons than third party if they don't cost too much more, the mini is a low margin product so selling accessories is a way to maximise profits (as they have learnt with the iPod and its ecosystem) and it could even push users of other macs to buy a mini if they already have a mini styled airport, breakout box (asteriod) for garageband and a hub for their existing mac..well because its only $500 and it would fit in with the rest of the stuff and it would always come in useful for something.

dejo
Jan 21, 2005, 08:31 PM
Asteroid already looks like it is designed to stack with the mac mini, although the ports on the top would have to move, unless it was the top unit of a second stack, such as how them mini separate systems are often stacked in two stacks of two.

You've actually seen real pictures of the as-yet-unreleased Asteroid? Where?

CanadaRAM
Feb 21, 2005, 02:25 AM
Even if they did, the Mac mini only has a FireWire 400 port.

And even if they tried, it wouldn't be possible: FireWire 800 = 800mbits/sec. That's 100MB/sec. The new GeForce 6800 video card has a memory bandwidth of 22.4 GB/sec.

Even if the Radeon 9200 is 100 times slower than the GeForce 6800, that's still 224MB/sec.

Edit: ok, I compared the GPU/VRAM bandwidth vs what should've been the AGP bus... But still, the original AGP 1x specification ran at 66 MHz and provided 266 MB/s of bandwidth, that's still more than twice the maximum of FireWire 800.

So, FireWire 800 might be great, but videocards are in a league of their own. :)
You're assuming that to function, the video needs to fully saturate the AGP bandwidth, which is not the case. Otherwise, how would PCI video cards have ever worked? Or Timbuktu screen mirroring over 10BaseT for that matter? Bandwidth requirements are resolution, colour depth and refresh rate dependant. You can put 800 x 600 pixel 24 bit colour through USB2.0.

Thanks
Trevor

CanadaRAM
Feb 21, 2005, 02:28 AM
i think i'll mail
http://cosmo.iw4n.com/mediadock.jpg
to griffin :D
Problem with all the mock ups I've seen -- the output ports are displayed, but where are the interconnect ports to actually hook the peripheral to the Mini...?

dejo
Feb 21, 2005, 02:31 AM
Problem with all the mock ups I've seen -- the output ports are displayed, but where are the interconnect ports to actually hook the peripheral to the Mini...?

My interconnect ports are all on the back side and left to the imagination of the viewer...

(Okay, I was just to lazy to photoshop a back panel as well.) :o