PDA

View Full Version : PowerLogix and OWC Announce Fastest Ever G4 CPU Upgrades; Ne...

MacBytes
Jan 15, 2005, 06:42 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: PowerLogix and OWC Announce Fastest Ever G4 CPU Upgrades; Next Gen Features (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050115194212)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Jan 16, 2005, 03:30 AM
I wonder how these guys are going to get on against the Mac mini?

If you've got a lower specced system than a Mac mini, $499 dollars for a new system doesn't look so bad ... say against a Cube processor upgrade.

Kagetenshi
Jan 16, 2005, 01:58 PM
Indeed. I would snap one right up if it were… say a third of the price. But it isn't, and probably can't afford to be.

C'est la vie.

~J

bousozoku
Jan 16, 2005, 04:55 PM
These seem better to keep my PowerMac running, even if the Mac mini is a great deal. The dual 7457 at 1.2 GHz seems a decent deal at this point, but of course, we all want the fastest. :)

3Memos
Jan 16, 2005, 05:51 PM
These CPU upgrade cards have always been overpriced. People seem to be better off just upgrading the whole machine, even if it costs more initially, its the better value.

solvs
Jan 16, 2005, 11:28 PM
Well, if you've already invested a ton of money in drive and RAM upgrades, it's still worth it. Especially if you need full size drives instead of the notebook size in the Mini. There will probably be price drops, but since the G4 upgrades are already at 1.7GHz, it is worth it. For now.

shamino
Jan 17, 2005, 03:12 PM
These CPU upgrade cards have always been overpriced. People seem to be better off just upgrading the whole machine, even if it costs more initially, its the better value.
Depends on what the card is what what the computer is.

$729 to upgrade my dual 1GHz PowerMac system to dual 1.7GHz doesn't sounds like a bad deal. A new dual-CPU system would have to be a G5 tower, and the cheapest of them costs $2000.

On the other hand, $289 to upgrade an older single-CPU system to 1.2GHz might or might not be a bad deal compared to the $500 mini. It would depend on whether you have any PCI cards to need to keep, whether you want to keep your existing hard drive, whether your video card is better than a Radeon 9200, etc.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 17, 2005, 03:20 PM
G4s have been frozen in time how long? years.....notice no L3 in that 1.7 a 1.4 with the 2mb L3 can match its performance. no increase wow. how many years will apple be able to sell the G4 i wonder 6,7,8???

Mav451
Jan 17, 2005, 03:37 PM
Well considering the "exotic", if you will, water-cooled CPUs in the G5's, I think the G4's will continue to have a market. G5's are just that much harder to upgrade (e.g. if you had a 1.6 and could go to a single 2.5?). Now the earlier G5's were air-cooled, so those may possibly be user-serviceable

Of course, not many Mac users open up their systems every 9 months for a fresh coat of AS5...so the lack of a "upgrade card"-kind of easy upgrade may keep this from being as successful as the G4 upgrade cards.

maya
Jan 17, 2005, 03:47 PM
G4s have been frozen in time how long? years.....notice no L3 in that 1.7 a 1.4 with the 2mb L3 can match its performance. no increase wow. how many years will apple be able to sell the G4 i wonder 6,7,8???

It is already well noted that Apple has and still is Milking the G4 chip for all its worth. It seems way to long in the tooth. :p

bousozoku
Jan 17, 2005, 05:20 PM

As already has been noted, the 7447 has no L3 cache and the 7457 has the L3 cache compatibility. The 7447 has slightly higher clock speeds but, as you should know by now, clock speeds aren't everything. PowerLogix sells both.

stoid
Jan 17, 2005, 05:36 PM
Are we likely to see G5 processor upgrade cards for G4 towers, or dual-core processor upgrades in the near future?

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 17, 2005, 05:53 PM
Having a mercury extreme 1.4 single cpu upgrade in my quicksilver has been painless. it has 2mb L3 and if you dont game the G4 can do anything you want. But since im a gamer i use a Amd 3500/6800GT (yeah baby Yeah) now :eek: and the wife has the machine but hey maybe ill put dual G4s in it a few years from now and a 9800 and it should be current with apples base hardware then. :) Quicksilvers were wise buys when introduced in my view. :D

bousozoku
Jan 17, 2005, 07:31 PM
Are we likely to see G5 processor upgrade cards for G4 towers, or dual-core processor upgrades in the near future?

It would be extremely messy since they both are incompatible with the system controller on the motherboards. Only the Freescale E600 series are compatible...since they're just G4s in disguise.