Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janmcn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
My husband has a PC that he's able to use his AKG100 Condenser Mic with for doing voiceovers that he then imports into his Macbook Pro where he can use it with Final Cut Express to add to his videos.

There's got to be a way for him to use this mic with his Mac setup so we can get rid of the PC (the only thing he uses it for now). In the near future he'll get an Imac so will only have those inputs.

Any ideas of how to go about this?
Many thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What kind of connector does the mic use?

"XLR" type, or something else?

janmcn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
The mic has a standard mic connector (and its own power supply) which can connect to the Mac, but the Mac doesn't "find" it. He was told by someone at work that he probably needed some kind of audio interface ?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
The mic has a standard mic connector (and its own power supply) which can connect to the Mac, but the Mac doesn't "find" it. He was told by someone at work that he probably needed some kind of audio interface ?

What does he use to connect it to the PC? And what do you mean by "standard mic connector"?

qbradley

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
The AKG 100 seems to have an XLR connection so the "power supply" that connects to it is a Preamp or an interface. If it is an interface and the mac doesn't recognize it, then there probably is a driver that needs to be installed. How does it connect to the PC? USB?

janmcn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Sorry, I need to be more clear (difficult when you don't really know what you're talking about.)
The "power supply" that the mic has is a "brick" that plugs into the normal wall socket...plain old power.
The connector to the Mac or PC is via a "standard mic in" plug...the kind you would find on any cheap mic to plug in...not the XLR type.

No other "Stuff" involved. I think we need to have something in between the mac and the mic...according to someone who posted a good primer here, it's some kind of "audio interface."

janmcn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks..."Better Solution" looks like it's just what we need without overkill. One of the "reviewers" was using it with a similar setup to ours...Imac, etc...
Thanks very much...you've been helpful to Santa!

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Thanks..."Better Solution" looks like it's just what we need without overkill. One of the "reviewers" was using it with a similar setup to ours...Imac, etc...
Thanks very much...you've been helpful to Santa!

Your welcome, on another note that should plug directly into the mic but it might be better to have an extension cable going from the usb adapter too the mic.

here is one below

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10244&cs_id=1024401&p_id=4751&seq=1&format=2

monoprice has excellent deals on cables and they are great quality as well. If you don't want too buy from them though they probably have some on amazon but they likely cost more. Also not sure if that mic adapter comes with a USB cable if it does not you probably have one laying around the house if not they are not expensive either.

Also once you get it if you need any help getting the usb adapter to work with garageband I might be able to help so feel free to PM me. It should be quit easy though just select it as an audio input device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.