PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV update out!

jlasoon
Nov 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
Go get it guys. :cool:

petvas
Nov 22, 2010, 12:27 PM

Nothing here. AppleTV says no update is available.

pilot25dmc
Nov 22, 2010, 12:29 PM
Nothing available yet in the UK either.

wouwout
Nov 22, 2010, 12:30 PM
I can see it's out: http://ios.e-lite.org/
However my ATV2 tells me there is nothing to update. I'm in Europe, how is this update released around the globe? All at once?

Tilpots
Nov 22, 2010, 12:31 PM

Is it 4.1 or 4.2?

jlasoon
Mine is currently rebooting as I type. AirPlay here I come!!!

petvas
It just became available here. I am downloading it now.

jlasoon
Is it 4.1 or 4.2?

Showing 4.2.1

azentropy
Nov 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
It just became available here. I am downloading it now.

Ditto... rebooting now...

EvilC5
Nov 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
guess I will be busy tonight.....

I put off the osx 10.6.5 and itunes upgrade, and now I will have to get my ios for atv and iphone also.....:eek:

optophobia
Nov 22, 2010, 12:41 PM
Downloading it now.
Has anyone used airplay yet ?

jclardy
Nov 22, 2010, 12:41 PM
Updating now, seems to be pretty small. I guess I just got used to having to re-download the entire iOS image for my iPhone updates.

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 12:44 PM
yes, update must have been very small. download only took about 2 minutes and then another 3-4 updating the device. In the meantime still waiting for the download for my phone to try out airplay.

software version is a bit confusing at 4.1, but if you toggle through it shows iOS 4.2.1 and software build 1539

Kahnyl
Nov 22, 2010, 12:46 PM
Airplay is all over the place for me.

Sometimes it'll let me leave the app while the video streams, other times it'll stop. I thought I'd figured out the way to get the video to keep streaming but then that stopped working. It won't stream video from the YouTube webapp, only the native one. The volume control slider pane in the mutltask bar didn't seem to know a video was streaming until I "told it". All over the place.

azentropy
Nov 22, 2010, 12:46 PM
Downloading it now.

Yes, seems to work great from my iPad to my AppleTV! Watching a few different videos now...

Working from my MBP iTunes to Apple TV too...

nigelquest
Nov 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
Using what app to watch shows?
Yes, seems to work great from my iPad to my AppleTV! Watching a few different videos now...

tropic10
So the big question is: Did the upgrade fix the dropped frames problem?

mcdj
I assume this update is only for the new gen ATV. If so, why are they calling it 4.2? How can there be a v4 firmware for a brand new device? If the firmware is strictly for the ATV 2, it should be firmware 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever.

jlasoon
Nov 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
Downloading it now.

Outside the native apps, nothing AirPlays for me.

haganaga
Nov 22, 2010, 12:49 PM

Does it just work on video with the official Videos app and YouTube or does it also work with other apps like AirVideo, Hulu+, ABC, etc? If it works on Safari that would be pretty fantastic as well. My fear is it's just specific to Videos and YouTube apps. Very curious and can't wait to get home to try for myself.

edit: question answered in previous post above. thanks! (real bummer, though)

davemanroe
Nov 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
I assume this update is only for the new gen ATV. If so, why are they calling it 4.2? How can there be a v4 firmware for a brand new device? If the firmware is strictly for the ATV 2, it should be firmware 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever.

It's because the ATV2 runs IOS4, like the ipad and iphone.

Kahnyl
Nov 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Video in the CNN app is screwed up. There's no audio and it's telling me that it's streaming to my iPhone.

EDIT: Flicking the mute switch sorta fixed it. It's not streaming video though.

optophobia
Nov 22, 2010, 12:52 PM

So that all iOS devices are running the same / similar version. Takes the confusion out of it.

saving107
Nov 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
I tried to use AirPlay to watch a live stream from live.twit.tv and it only send the audio, not the video, I was a little bummed. Also, my tv shows are still not organized like with the first generation Apple TV, they are still separated by seasons and not by show.

and still no support for iTunes LP or Extras.

jaw04005
Nov 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
According to Apple, it's Apple TV Software 4.1, iOS 4.2.

jlasoon
Nov 22, 2010, 12:55 PM
Well, Netflix now shows a tag for HD and standard definition movies and tv shows.

Kahnyl
Nov 22, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm suprised at how few videos I can stream. So far, nothing outside of the YouTube app works. Not even videos using the Safari slide-in YT player.

tallyho
Nov 22, 2010, 12:57 PM
So the big question is: Did the upgrade fix the dropped frames problem?

And can you select 720p/50Hz now?

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
at least you guys are getting partial stuff to stream..so far I can't get any audio or video to stream via airplay. closest I've gotten was the metadata from a podcast displayed on the tv but still no audio. Nothing muted so far as I can tell. Video out of the ipod app didn't work. Not sure what I'm missing here.

saving107
Nov 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
at least you guys are getting partial stuff to stream..so far I can't get any audio or video to stream via airplay. closest I've gotten was the metadata from a podcast displayed on the tv but still no audio. Nothing muted so far as I can tell. Video out of the ipod app didn't work. Not sure what I'm missing here.

I had the same issue. When I bought my Apple TV, the AirPlay option was automatically set to ON, but after the update it was set to OFF, you have to manually go and set it back to ON.

Settings> AirPlay> ON/OFF (on your Apple TV)

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 01:07 PM
airplay was on. I noticed I wasn't able to connect to anything on the internet so I did a network settings reset and that fixed it. audio/video from the ipod app works well. photos too..swiping on the tv is nice. video in the photo roll doesn't seem to work though..seems like an odd oversight.

dgalvan123
Nov 22, 2010, 01:08 PM
So I successfully updated both my iPhone 4 and my Apple TV. I tested out airplay with 4.2 on my iPhone 4 and with iTunes. Can airplay video from both. But there are some odd omissions/bugs:

1. When airplaying video from iphone 4: All videos in the iPod App, videos section, can be airplayed with no problem. However, for videos in the "photos" app (ie: videos you've recently taken with your iPhone camera), there is simply no airplay button. The still photos have an airplay button, and can be airplayed to your ATV with no problem. But the videos cannot. This is odd and disappointing for me, because this was the feature I was most excited about: Taking a video of my 7-month-old son with my iPhone 4 at one point during the day, then airplaying it to the ATV to show my wife and others later in the day, without having to bother to synch my iphone to my computer, put the video into iTunes, and navigate to it on the ATV.

2. iPhoto videos: The recent iTunes and ATV2 updates supposedly enable you to see the videos that are in your mac's iphoto library when you go to the photos section of your homeshared computer on the ATV2. Well, the videos are now visible amongst your photos in the appropriate events on the ATV2 (whereas they weren't before), but when I try to play the video on the ATV2 it starts to buffer, starts to play, and then immediately stops and I get a "there was en error loading this content". In a couple cases it made the apple tv reboot. I guess there is a bug either in iPhoto, iTunes, or the latest ATV2 update. The functionality is clearly built in now, but it doesn't work.

azentropy
Nov 22, 2010, 01:08 PM
Does it just work on video with the official Videos app and YouTube or does it also work with other apps like AirVideo, Hulu+, ABC, etc? If it works on Safari that would be pretty fantastic as well. My fear is it's just specific to Videos and YouTube apps. Very curious and can't wait to get home to try for myself.

edit: question answered in previous post above. thanks! (real bummer, though)

Support in other apps is coming soon now that 4.2.1 for iPhone/iPad is out. Probably some 3rd party app updates will be released today as they were just waiting on the final release.

joudbren
Nov 22, 2010, 01:11 PM
Update is working fine for me so far but very limited testing. Airplayed a music video from my iPad that I bought and then a couple of pictures, no problem. HD logo is also showing up in Netflix movie descriptions now as previously posted but I'm not seeing anything for DD5.1 like on PS3. Guess they haven't added that support yet.

Question on Airplay, when I turned it on for the ATV2, it asked me to setup an Airplay password. When I streamed from the iPad, it just worked, it didn't ask me to enter the password. Am I missing something here? What is the password for if it's not going to ask for it? Just curious. Cheers!

James

GeekLawyer
Nov 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
Support in other apps is coming soon now that 4.2.1 for iPhone/iPad is out. Probably some 3rd party app updates will be released today as they were just waiting on the final release.I hope this is the case. It's great functionality in theory. And, so far, in practice. But playing videos from the Videos.app or YouTube.app aren't compelling alone. I have access to those videos through Home Sharing and the native AppleTV YouTube app.

Airplaying videos from the Photo.app would be nice, as someone else said. Hard to believe that feature wasn't included out of the box today.

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 01:15 PM
However, for videos in the "photos" app (ie: videos you've recently taken with your iPhone camera), there is simply no airplay button. The still photos have an airplay button, and can be airplayed to your ATV with no problem. But the videos cannot. This is odd and disappointing for me, because this was the feature I was most excited about: Taking a video of my 7-month-old son with my iPhone 4 at one point during the day, then airplaying it to the ATV to show my wife and others later in the day, without having to bother to synch my iphone to my computer, put the video into iTunes, and navigate to it on the ATV.

yeah, they really need to sort this out. Outside of 3rd party apps (namely air video), this was the biggest advantage to airplay. Instant, no wires viewing of video you've just taken.

ptaylor9
Nov 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
Was really hoping to be able to stream to my new ATV from the BBC iPlayer mobile website. The button is there for airplay, but it will stream the audio, which is pretty lame.
Is this likely to be updated, as it looks like it is using the videos app, or is this just something I will have to remain disappointed with?
Cheers,
P.

GeekLawyer
Nov 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
The ability to AirPlay Pandora.app is nice, I just tested it.

It's like a back-door app store for AppleTV until the real one materializes.

BlackMangoTree
Nov 22, 2010, 01:31 PM
C R A P update. Still HD video Stutters, Still subtitles don't work, still lots of metadata missing, still no folders on folders for movies and tv shows and freaking playlists. What the hell did this update do ? Airplay ? well thats a very over hyped feature.

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
The ability to AirPlay Pandora.app is nice, I just tested it.

I

how? I have no airplay icon in pandora

tropic10
Nov 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
C R A P update. Still HD video Stutters, Still subtitles don't work, still lots of metadata missing, still no folders on folders for movies and tv shows and freaking playlists. What the hell did this update do ? Airplay ? well thats a very over hyped feature.

So you're still seeing dropped frames with HD video when the buffer is full?

GeekLawyer
Nov 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
how? I have no airplay icon in pandoraDouble-tap the home button and scroll the dock over to the volume/rotation setting screen. The AirPlay icon is there.

sonictonic
Nov 22, 2010, 01:43 PM
Where are the damn release notes that say what exactly is in the ATV update BESIDES Airplay. I couldn't give less of a $#&^ about that right now.

I wanna know if playlists play properly now, and if shows are properly marked as watched after finishing them. Has this sort of crap been fixed?

BlackMangoTree
Nov 22, 2010, 01:44 PM
So you're still seeing dropped frames with HD video when the buffer is full?

Yes, the exact same issue as the previous software version. This update has not fixed anything in my eyes.

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 01:44 PM
Double-tap the home button and scroll the dock over to the volume/rotation setting screen. The AirPlay icon is there.

hmm.
it's not there. are you using an ipad? not seeing any airplay icon on the iphone 4 when I swipe to the audio controls. another swipe takes me to the volume slider and that's it.

GeekLawyer
Nov 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
hmm.
it's not there. are you using an ipad? not seeing any airplay icon on the iphone 4 when I swipe to the audio controls. another swipe takes me to the volume slider and that's it.Well, yes, that was on my iPad.

Pandora's AirPlay icon is at the bottom of the screen on my iPhone 4. To the right of the volume slider. It's also working fine with my AppleTV.

GermanSuplex
Nov 22, 2010, 01:49 PM
TV seasons being sorted out of order has been fixed.

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
Anyone not seeing 'Top Movies' on the home screen or is it just me?

Kahnyl
Nov 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
hmm.
it's not there. are you using an ipad? not seeing any airplay icon on the iphone 4 when I swipe to the audio controls. another swipe takes me to the volume slider and that's it.

There definitely should be an Airplay icon to the right of the volume slider in Pandora. It only shows up when the iDevice or iTunes sees an Apple TV on the network. Is there an Airplay icon in the iPod app? If not, the device simply isn't seeing the Apple TV and should work after a reboot.

Kahnyl
Nov 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Anyone not seeing 'Top Movies' on the home screen or is it just me?

I'm seeing it. Are you just seeing Genres, Search and In Theaters?

FreeState
Nov 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Well, Netflix now shows a tag for HD and standard definition movies and tv shows.

Thats not new... it was doing that yesterday, not sure when it was updated, but noticed it yesterday before the update.

JeffLebowski41
Nov 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
Well, yes, that was on my iPad.

Pandora's AirPlay icon is at the bottom of the screen on my iPhone 4. To the right of the volume slider. It's also working fine with my AppleTV.

strangely, a reboot fixed it, partially. The icon showed up but I wasn't able to get anything to stream to the tv. Wifi seems really screwy for me..losing connection often. I'll have more time to mess with it after work I guess.

trip1ex
Nov 22, 2010, 01:59 PM
Not as many Netflix loading screens or so it seems after my initial quickie first impression.

fpnc
Nov 22, 2010, 02:09 PM
AirPlay is NOT going to work unless the video source is in a streamable, iOS compatible format. Thus, no Flash-based video, no WMV, no Silverlight, etc. which means that a lot of internet-based video is not going to work. In fact, it seems logical that only H.264/HTML5 video will work over the internet. Also, the issue with the iPhone camera video MAY be that the recorded format is not in a stream-compatible format (maybe, don't really know, but that does seem to be a major omission).

Over the last weeks it seems that I've been one of the few voices of reason about AirPlay video compatibility. Many (most?) were proclaiming that it would just work with everything, I said not likely and we'll have to wait and see what does and does not work. I'd be overjoyed if a lot of video sources and apps did work with AirPlay, but I think we need to temper our expectation -- Apple never claimed that it would work with everything.

One of the more interesting class of apps to test will be the video transcoders -- Air Video, StreamToMe, Plex, etc. Has anyone tested one of those?

tropic10
Nov 22, 2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, the exact same issue as the previous software version. This update has not fixed anything in my eyes.

That's really disappointing and frustrating.

I guess it's time to get that Crystal HD card I bought working with XBMC in my ATV1.

jlasoon
Nov 22, 2010, 02:14 PM
One of the more interesting class of apps to test will be the video transcoders -- Air Video, StreamToMe, Plex, etc. Has anyone tested one of those?

AirVideo doesn't work. Nothing outside native apps work. Useless if you ask me.

petvas
Nov 22, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have tested with Air Video and I can stream only audio...

ptaylor9
Nov 22, 2010, 02:17 PM
Over the last weeks it seems that I've been one of the few voices of reason about AirPlay video compatibility. Many (most?) were proclaiming that it would just work with everything, I said not likely and we'll have to wait and see what does and does not work. I'd be overjoyed if a lot of video sources and apps did work with AirPlay, but I think we need to temper our expectation -- Apple never claimed that it would work with everything.

Well done sir, we will all listen to you in the future.

Mherm88
Nov 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
I have tested with Air Video and I can stream only audio...

hmmm hopefully this changes, from what I have looked through it doesn't seem like AirPlay requires a specific API, it may just be that an attribute needs to be added or changed in video streams in apps to get it to work. I have a feeling an update will come out soon to make a lot of apps compatible with AirPlay. AirVideo had an update a day or two after VideoOut becamse available for apps.

fpnc
Nov 22, 2010, 02:23 PM
AirVideo doesn't work. Nothing outside native apps work. Useless if you ask me.
Yes, if that it true then it really doesn't add much if anything over what you could do with the previous versions of iOS. However, I'd expect that after some of the third-party apps are updated that we might see better compatibility (at least one could hope).

fpnc
Nov 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Well done sir, we will all listen to you in the future.
I get it -- sarcasm noted. But actually, I am "right" most of the time. ;) In any case, the AirPlay situation is still too early to call. I'm just saying that we should be a little reserved in both our expectations and criticism.

BlackMangoTree
Nov 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
I dont get it, upadte the Apple Tv and still HD video stutters and still subtitles dont show.

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 22, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm seeing it. Are you just seeing Genres, Search and In Theaters?

Not seeing anything at all. When I go into the different subheadings I see them, just not on the main home screen.

ptaylor9
Nov 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
I get it -- sarcasm noted. But actually, I am "right" most of the time. ;) In any case, the AirPlay situation is still too early to call. I'm just saying that we should be a little reserved in both our expectations and criticism.

Hehe good man.
Im looking forward to some good third party update over the coming weeks.
At the minute i'm pretty much 'allowed' to stream whatever was in my library, which funnily enough, ATV lets me do anyway.

NightStorm
Nov 22, 2010, 02:39 PM
I dont get it, upadte the Apple Tv and still HD video stutters and still subtitles dont show.

We heard you the first time.

BlackMangoTree
Nov 22, 2010, 02:42 PM
We heard you the first time.

Well Apple have not heard any time. So we all need to make more noise.

benoitgphoto
Nov 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure about stutter. I'm at the second tv episode from iTunes(HD) and haven't see it yet. Will continue to test. Talked with Apple a few times about it and as of last satursay, they don't seem to be able to replicate that. He wants me to test my atv at the Apple store.

jasonponty
Nov 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
I haven't had a chance to update my ATV2 or even iPhone yet but what iPhone apps are video streaming on the ATV2?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm wondering if there is any chance I can stream my iPhone Sunday Ticket app to my ATV2?

newtoiphonesdk
Nov 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
I haven't had a chance to update my ATV2 or even iPhone yet but what iPhone apps are video streaming on the ATV2?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm wondering if there is any chance I can stream my iPhone Sunday Ticket app to my ATV2?

Not until a jb app is released that will allow it.

tallyho
Nov 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
AirPlay is NOT going to work unless the video source is in a streamable, iOS compatible format. Thus, no Flash-based video, no WMV, no Silverlight, etc. which means that a lot of internet-based video is not going to work. In fact, it seems logical that only H.264/HTML5 video will work over the internet.

Hmm yeah but the issue seems to be that iOS compatible videos which can stream and play on iDevices cannot be played over AirPlay. iPlayer for one example: the videos are in H.264 specifically so that iPhone/iPod/iPad can play them.

Over the last weeks it seems that I've been one of the few voices of reason about AirPlay video compatibility. Many (most?) were proclaiming that it would just work with everything, I said not likely and we'll have to wait and see what does and does not work.
You are a legend. Perhaps one day I will be as cool as you :o

benoitgphoto
Nov 22, 2010, 03:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure about stutter. I'm at the second tv episode from iTunes(HD) and haven't see it yet. Will continue to test. Talked with Apple a few times about it and as of last satursay, they don't seem to be able to replicate that. He wants me to test my atv at the Apple store.

wouwout
Nov 22, 2010, 03:18 PM

Didn't Steve jobs himself tell us that we would be able to play any video content from our iPad on our atv?

pasipple
Nov 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
Can someone let me know how long the ATV2 software update takes? It's been going for about 15 minutes now. Just wanted to make sure it's not stuck in a loop.

Thanks....

jlasoon
Nov 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
I can't even play embedded YouTube videos from safari, all I get is audio.

wouwout
Nov 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
My ATV is still stuck at 4.0 and is telling me that no update is available. Is my jailbreak preventing an update? I'm not really using the jailbreak....

jlasoon
Nov 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
Can someone let me know how long the ATV2 software update takes? I't been going for about 15 minutes now. Just wanted to make sure it's not stuck in a loop.

Thanks....

Mine only took 5 mins to download update.

pasipple
Nov 22, 2010, 03:23 PM
I'm jailbroken also. I wasn't necessarily going to update but my ATV2 updated automatically when I started using it.

pasipple
Nov 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Mine only took 5 mins to download update.

Thanks...

fpnc
Nov 22, 2010, 03:37 PM
Didn't Steve jobs himself tell us that we would be able to play any video content from our iPad on our atv?
He may have said things from which one could imply that most anything would work but that's not the same as saying it plainly and clearly. Thus, you'd have to show me where he said that "any video content" would work. In any case, software updates may come which will make whatever he said come closer to reality.

zed
Nov 22, 2010, 03:41 PM
Can anyone test an iTunes LP to see if that functionality has been added? I do not currently own any to test.

fpnc
Nov 22, 2010, 03:43 PM
Can anyone test an iTunes LP to see if that functionality has been added? I do not currently own any to test.
Someone reported that it does not work, also that same user said that iTunes Extras are still missing. Of course, it would be nice to have a second confirmation on that and I'm just re-reporting what someone else said.

zedsdead
Nov 22, 2010, 05:36 PM
This is one pathetic update. The Apple TV has been out for 2 months and has some major glitches and issues, and they did nothing (not to mention Airplay is shotty at best...it works, but has some problems).

- TV Shows Folders
- Movie Folders
- Pictures on Screen Saver are still not Random
- iTunes LP/Extras

to name a few.

itsmemuffins
Nov 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
Really disappointed that you can't stream videos taken with the iPhone 4 to ATV.

Really strange omission.:(

newagemac
Nov 22, 2010, 06:02 PM
This is one pathetic update. The Apple TV has been out for 2 months and has some major glitches and issues, and they did nothing (not to mention Airplay is shotty at best...it works, but has some problems).

- TV Shows Folders
- Movie Folders
- Pictures on Screen Saver are still not Random
- iTunes LP/Extras

to name a few.

I disagree. I just compiled a list of things I found that they fixed so far:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1052995

1. Netflix now shows whether a movie is available in HD with an HD icon. (update: this feature was apparently added a day before the update)

2. Watched/Unwatched now works correctly automatically.

3. Manually marking a video as watched from the "Unwatched" category is no longer buggy.

4. Playcounts are now updated correctly.

5. 720p subtitles now work correctly.

6. Videos in iPhoto now show up on the Apple TV.

7. Items in Playlists now show up in the correct order you put them in instead of alphabetical order.

8. People who had certain TVs that required them to use an HDMI to DVI converter or older HDTVs that don't support 720p were having problems with the picture being wavy or wobbly. That has now apparently been fixed according to a thread on Apple's forum.

chriso89
Nov 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
they didnt fix the problem with the picture. many has the problem that the screen is green! i did not have this problem before the update but got it after the update. stupid apple

svNautilus301
Nov 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
TV seasons being sorted out of order has been fixed.

Quite the opposite for me. My seasons were in order before the update, now my TV shows list is a splatter of everything all completely out of any sort of order.

Not sure what the old out of order problem was as I didn't have it, but in this case, by "out of order" I don't just mean it has the seasons grouped together in a random order. For example, the first few shows in my list show like this:

Futurama, season 7
The Venture Bros, season 4
Community, season 2
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, season 6
The Office, season 7

And so on. The rest of the seasons for those shows are sprinkled in throughout the list.

cipo
Nov 23, 2010, 03:15 AM
Quite the opposite for me. My seasons were in order before the update, now my TV shows list is a splatter of everything all completely out of any sort of order.

For me it's a combination of both: seasons within one show were out of order before the update, but at least shows were ordered correctly. Now I have the same mess you are describing.

There's one workaround though: apparently ATV uses the "album" tag to sort entries, if present. So if you assign album names in iTunes that ascend alphabetically, it sorts correctly. Well, at least for me it does.

e.g.

Futurama-01
Futurama-02
Simpsons-09
Simpsons-10

and so on.

BlackMangoTree
Nov 23, 2010, 04:24 AM
Where is iTunes LP and Movie Extras ?

svNautilus301
Nov 23, 2010, 07:56 PM
There's one workaround though: apparently ATV uses the "album" tag to sort entries, if present. So if you assign album names in iTunes that ascend alphabetically, it sorts correctly. Well, at least for me it does.

Doesn't seem to be helping me. All my shows have ascending album titles (both under the info tab & the sorting tab), yet I still have the splatter effect.

(Thank god I'd already filled in the album titles as I imported my shows, I wasn't looking forward to filling all that in for 3500+ shows, one season at a time).

Edit: Now things are starting to make more sense...it's set on the AppleTV to sort by show, yet the shows are still being sorted by date. Can't figure out why that is, but it makes a bit more sense than a random assortment of shows.

Edit 2: well, the first 7 shows are by date...beyond that, it's random as far as I can tell.

MacsRgr8
Nov 25, 2010, 06:31 AM
Doesn't seem to be helping me. All my shows have ascending album titles (both under the info tab & the sorting tab), yet I still have the splatter effect.

(Thank god I'd already filled in the album titles as I imported my shows, I wasn't looking forward to filling all that in for 3500+ shows, one season at a time).

Edit: Now things are starting to make more sense...it's set on the AppleTV to sort by show, yet the shows are still being sorted by date. Can't figure out why that is, but it makes a bit more sense than a random assortment of shows.

Edit 2: well, the first 7 shows are by date...beyond that, it's random as far as I can tell.

Cr@p. :mad:
That is the reason I still use the old TV.... sorting on the old one is perfect: Date, (un)wachted, OR by show (meaning nicely sorted by episode).
I have leant my new TV to friends to check it out, but now iOS 4.2 is there I was anxiously hoping be get it back this weekend.
Airplay is nice, but I won't use it that often. All my media is already stored on my Mac mini iTunes-server.