Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilkens11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
California
I need to remove the cpu cover on a dual G5, but the plastic fastener that binds the cpu cover to the metal shelf is holding me back. Does anyone who's removed the cover want to share how they did it?

The fastener looks like a pushpin rivet, but I haven't had any luck pushing the pin down.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
wilkens11 said:
I need to remove the cpu cover on a dual G5, but the plastic fastener that binds the cpu cover to the metal shelf is holding me back. Does anyone who's removed the cover want to share how they did it?

The fastener looks like a pushpin rivet, but I haven't had any luck pushing the pin down.

Maybe it's a sign that they don't want you to take the covers off? In the cases that I've encountered, little plastic things like that tend to:
a) Not be removable without force and breakage.
b) Secure things that really shouldn't be removed except under special circumstances.

wilkens11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
California
OutThere761 said:
Maybe it's a sign that they don't want you to take the covers off? In the cases that I've encountered, little plastic things like that tend to:
a) Not be removable without force and breakage.
b) Secure things that really shouldn't be removed except under special circumstances.

Don't I know it. My BMW had a plastic rivet securing the front trim and license plate holder. I had to drill it out in order to replace the trim---the rivet didn't make it. Usually these rivets can be removed without any damage though.

Is everyone here too timid to take a decorative cover off a heatsink?

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
wilkens11 said:

I would be much more conformable taking the license plate cover off my 94' BMW 530iT than ripping a heatsink off a delicate G5 which could be attached to something important. Just do it carefully or you will be sorry. :cool:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
wilkens11 said:
Don't I know it. My BMW had a plastic rivet securing the front trim and license plate holder. I had to drill it out in order to replace the trim---the rivet didn't make it. Usually these rivets can be removed without any damage though.

I've stripped apart many a PC in my day - ripping out motherboards, power supplies and delicate parts and sticking in new ones in their places, but, what I have found is that Apple often designs certain parts of its products to not be changeable, and many times things are very finicky about being changed. I would never do it to my own computer, but if you are sure, then go on ahead, but proceed with caution. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Courtesy of one of Apple's PDFs:

The cap is held in place by two sets of small plastic latches on the underside of the cap. To release the latches, place both index fingers under the edge of the cap near the “G” and press in on the first set of latches. Then release the second set of latches under the opposite edge of the cap and lift the cap off the heatsink.

Attachments

• g5cover.jpg
    g5cover.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 4,542

wilkens11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
California
Nermal said:
Courtesy of one of Apple's PDFs:

Thanks for the image. That's a rev A; mine's a rev B. The rev Bs have a single-piece cover for both CPUs, and the cover is fastened to the pci divider (the 2nd metal shelf) with a small plastic rivet. It's the rivet that's giving me trouble.

wilkens11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
California
OutThere761 said:
I've stripped apart many a PC in my day - ripping out motherboards, power supplies and delicate parts and sticking in new ones in their places, but, what I have found is that Apple often designs certain parts of its products to not be changeable, and many times things are very finicky about being changed. I would never do it to my own computer, but if you are sure, then go on ahead, but proceed with caution. :)

I think I see what you're saying now, that maybe the divider & cpu cover are meant to stay together and come off as a unit. That would actually make a lot of sense to me, but the divider seems to be attached to the motherboard in part using bolts that are not accessible from the open side of the box. From the instructions I have, it appears it's easier to remove the motherboard with the divider attached.

This is all just to get to the power supply, of course. :)

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
The pin is designed to not be removed without damaging the pin and VOIDING THE WARRANTY!!.

If your machine is still in warranty -DO NOT REMOVE.

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
Exhuming an old thread.

Is this accurate? Is there no way to remove the CPU heatsink cover without voiding your warranty?

Like many others before me, I've dropped a screw from the AGP slot into the bowels of my Dual G5. In my attempts to avoid this very occurence, I used a magnetic screwdriver. I suspect the errant screw is magnetized and is fixed in place somewhere, as there no rattle, nor any sign of the screw.

I am loathe to switch the machine on until I locate the screw, yet I am also loathe to pay hundreds of dollars to have an Apple tech find it for me.

Any suggestions?

lucasbravo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
Heatsink Cap Removal in G5 Dual Processor

I am also trying to replace the power supply in my dual processor G5 and am having the same problem of not knowing how to remove the heatsink cap.

Did anyone figure out how to do it? I would rather do it myself than having to pay $400-500 at an authorized Apple Service Center.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.