Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of iOS 4.2 earlier today, users have been putting the new operating system through its paces to test out the new features and improvements. Here are a few notes of interest:

- AirPlay: Users who have updated both their iPad/iPhone/iPod touch to and new Apple TV to iOS 4.2 can take advantage of the new feature to stream audio and video content to their Apple TV. Apple has posted a video overview of how the functionality works.

AirPlay functionality is permitted through a number of Apple's own applications, as well as third-pary applications configured to use the service. Netflix is reportedly not permitting content to be pushed via AirPlay to the new Apple TV, but the Apple TV already offers its own access to Netflix streaming.

- Find My iPhone: While there had been initial confusion about which devices are compatible with the new free Find My iPhone service, Apple's setup page does appear to have offered correct information: A current-generation iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch is required for initial setup of the free Find My iPhone service, but once that it accomplished, and iOS 4.2-compatible device can access it. All users must update to the just-released version of the Find My iPhone iOS application in order to access the service through their devices.

165427-airprint_printer.jpg

- AirPrint: While Apple significantly scaled back the AirPrint functionality in iOS 4.2 ahead of its launch, the feature does allow for wireless printing directly to certain HP printers. Those looking to print to other shared or networked printers may be interested in looking into third-party solutions unless Apple quickly finds away to meet its original goals for the service.

- Safari "Find in Page": Typing in the search box in Safari now offers users the ability to search for text within the currently-open page, displaying a toolbar to allow for navigation among instances of the term.

- Multitasking for iPad: iOS 4.2 bring multitasking to the iPad for the first time. In landscape mode, swiping left-to-right on the tray brings up the quick-access control panel, complete with access to music player controls, brightness and volume sliders, and an orientation lock switch. iOS 4.2 modifies the side hardware switch on the iPad, turning it from an orientation lock switch into an iPhone-like mute switch while making orientation lock a software setting.

- Folders, Universal Inbox, and Game Center for iPad: The iPad finally gains a trio of other features that iPhone and iPod touch features have already grown accustomed to: home screen folders, a universal inbox and Game Center. Folders allow users to drag app icons on top of each other on the home screen to create folders of related applications, offering easier navigation and a larger number of applications to be installed on the device. The universal inbox allows users to easily see email messages from all of their accounts rather than need to manually navigate between each account to check for new messages. Game Center is Apple's social network and achievements platform for iOS gaming, allowing users to challenge their friends and track scores on compatible titles.

- iWork for iPad: As we previously noted, Apple is updating its three iWork applications for the iPad to support new iOS 4.2 features. Those updates are now live in the App Store.

Article Link: iOS 4.2 Notes: AirPlay, Find My iPhone, AirPrint, New iPad Features

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Eh. It's a nice point update. Nothing amazing but a nice solid update that folks should be happy about. (For iPhone users, I mean. iPad users should be dancing right now.)

All this is really doing, though, is getting me excited for iOS 5.

The Salamander

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Find my iPad?

I was able to add mobileme to both my iPhone4 and iPad, but on the iPad the toggle is disabled.

Has anyone else seen this or know how to enable it?

Attachments

• ipad.png
    ipad.png
    22 KB · Views: 478

lax33

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Folders on iPad

Apple also updated folders. You can have more than 12 apps in a folder on iPad. I've added 18 so far to one folder.

Whats with the Fisher Price Voice memo icon? Is that to accmpany the iTunes icon too? Who have Apple got designing these new features? Mickey Mouse? There isnt a lot to get excited about. the update was mainly for SJ beloved iPad. Anti climax as per usual. OS X Lion will no doubt be the same anti climax. very poor. Decent new text tones would have been nice - again Fisher Price standard and no new ringtones. No real perfromance issues to write home about. All boring Im afraid and Apples big new data centre cant even handle people downloading the update!!!!! LOL!

DisturbedLen

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2004
I don't understand what is so great about Airplay and Apple TV. My Mac already has my music, videos, etc... and I can already stream them to my AppleTV and control it with Remote, so I'm missing the earth-shattering kaboom here. With the exception of a few extra camera-shot photos on my iPhone, and the ability to start watching a movie on my iPad and resuming it on my AppleTV, what's the big deal?

If Airplay could allow content to be streamed from the browser, this would be a big deal.

Just sayin'

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I don't understand what is so great about Airplay and Apple TV. My Mac already has my music, videos, etc... and I can already stream them to my AppleTV and control it with Remote, so I'm missing the earth-shattering kaboom here. With the exception of a few extra camera-shot photos on my iPhone, and the ability to start watching a movie on my iPad and resuming it on my AppleTV, what's the big deal?

If Airplay could allow content to be streamed from the browser, this would be a big deal.

Just sayin'

It's simple and easy to use without the need for an entire computer. My parents, for example. Even for me, I don't have a Mac Mini or anything connected, the Apple TV is great to show pictures and random videos when people are over. VERY excited for this feature and is going to be the killer app for iOS, I think.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't understand what is so great about Airplay and Apple TV. My Mac already has my music, videos, etc... and I can already stream them to my AppleTV and control it with Remote, so I'm missing the earth-shattering kaboom here.

Do you take your computer with you everywhere? The point is to bring back the days of "take a DVD over to a friend's house to watch it there." (Funny how we lost that bit of convinience in this online video revolution.)

This presumes your friend has an AppleTV, but at $99 the chances of that keep getting greater every day.

iomar

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
This is a really good update. I will update my ipad tonight. But i have to wait until there is a jailbreak for iphone until I update it. I don't want to lose my Mywi.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
WTF can't u stream music from your iTunes to your iPhone/iPad/iPT?

You can if you're on a Mac: You just need to enable web sharing and create a link to your media location and you can stream any content from there to your iOS device (including DRM protected content) by opening the location in Safari.

Just sayin'

I use it to stream Spotify to my music system. Also, it means you don't have to have your computer on 24x7 just to feed data to your TV

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Whats with the Fisher Price Voice memo icon? Is that to accmpany the iTunes icon too? Who have Apple got designing these new features? Mickey Mouse? There isnt a lot to get excited about. the update was mainly for SJ beloved iPad. Anti climax as per usual. OS X Lion will no doubt be the same anti climax. very poor. Decent new text tones would have been nice - again Fisher Price standard and no new ringtones. No real perfromance issues to write home about. All boring Im afraid and Apples big new data centre cant even handle people downloading the update!!!!! LOL!
I don't like the new Voice Memo icon either but speak for yourself as far as it being boring. Personally I love AirPlay! It could definitely get better in the streaming video dept but for audio it rocks.

Also, you're assuming Apple is using the new data center for software updates. I highly doubt it.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I'm having trouble getting Airplay to work at all. I can push photos from my iPhone to the Apple TV, but if I try to play my home movies from the Photos app it just simply refuses to switch the playing from iPhone to Apple TV. I can get videos in iTunes on the iPhone to play on the Apple TV, but the audio is all garbled, like it's playing through a windstorm. Anyone else having trouble with this? Any ideas how to fix these issues? I updated both the iPhone and the Apple TV...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Do you take your computer with you everywhere? The point is to bring back the days of "take a DVD over to a friend's house to watch it there." (Funny how we lost that bit of convinience in this online video revolution.)

This presumes your friend has an AppleTV, but at $99 the chances of that keep getting greater every day.
Obviously he doesn't have a laptop that he ever puts to sleep.

houdinize

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
I was able to add mobileme to both my iPhone4 and iPad, but on the iPad the toggle is disabled.

Has anyone else seen this or know how to enable it?

Is your iPad a WiFi + 3G with GPS, if not it probably doesn't work (I can't confirm this, just speculation, anyone?)

djp2

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2010
New SMS Tones

The new SMS tones are astonishingly horrible. Like, I don't know what Apple was thinking horrible. First of all, they are all wayyyy too long. It's already annoying enough to hear peoples' phones constantly chirping and dinging as they have text-message conversations, but can you imagine how irritating these long, protracted tones will be? Argh, I'm mystified as to what they were thinking. :confused:

ricardo6xas@gma

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Brazil
Find my phone...

So, if i read properly, i can have "Find my Phone" ability in my iPhone 3G if only i activate it first on a iPhone4, iPad or lastest iPod touch?

If this is true (can somebody try please?), why the hell don't they just give it for free to any user? Why this stupid workaround?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.