Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muzz112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried using Airplay with VLC, or know whether it will work? If it works thats definitely the decider for apple tv!

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I would be surprised if VLC could be updated to use AirPlay for anything except iTunes compatible video. I'm not certain but my guess is AirPlay works by simply sending the compressed video stream from your iPad to the AppleTV. It is then decoded and displayed on the AppleTV. To display, for example, xvid or wmv the video would have to be transcoded and the iPad doesn't have the processing power for that.

If you want to use an AppleTV with other formats then AirVideo maybe a possibility as it transcodes on a computer; however I've heard that it hasn't been updated for AirPlay yet. Alternatively you could investigate what the Jailbreak guys have come up with.

Muzz112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Cheers for the reply, hoping it will eventually work... as all my movies are on the VLC app in .avi format. I'll try it on my friends apple tv, and post whether it works or not on here after.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
I see a lot of posters saying 'yet' when referring to their favourite non-Apple video app notbeing ready for Airplay. Sadly, I'm reading on TUAW amongst other places that the documentation to add Airplay to 3rd Party apps does not exist. In plain English, Apple isn't letting developers add Airplay to their apps at all.

Yet.

But as the documentation isn't even there to get cracking on it in advance of Apple letting you do so officially, that suggests that Apple has no big plans to offer the functionality in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.