PDA

View Full Version : AirPlay Speakers or Headphones

bnzjamin
Nov 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
I was hoping hardware manufacturers, even a couple, would have timed their release of AirPlay enabled speakers or headphones with the iOS update for the new AppleTV but I've seen no such publicity thus far. Did I miss something or are there still no speakers or headphones with AirPlay functionality built in?

Thanks.

Hntjohns
Nov 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
Me too, I'm still waiting on the Airplay equipped iHome. Wasn't it supposed to be ready for Holiday shopping? It seems like this week would be that time.

ovrlrd
Nov 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
AirPlay enabled headphones would be interesting. They would be like bluetooth headphones but instead use Wi-Fi to give you a lot more range.

QuarterSwede
Nov 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
AirPlay enabled headphones would be interesting. They would be like bluetooth headphones but instead use Wi-Fi to give you a lot more range.
And die within the hour. Wifi is a huge battery killer.

bnzjamin
Nov 22, 2010, 09:04 PM
And die within the hour. Wifi is a huge battery killer.

The iHome speaker runs off of a rechargeable battery so the drain can't be all that bad.

QuarterSwede
Nov 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
The iHome speaker runs off of a rechargeable battery so the drain can't be all that bad.
That response was talking about wifi headphones not the iHome dock.

jas1973
Nov 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
Wifi airplay headphones would limit to you only being able to use them when around your home network. Would be a waste for me blue tooth works just fine for me

bnzjamin
Nov 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
That response was talking about wifi headphones not the iHome dock.

Cool. I was just saying that if the only AirPlay speaker device announced runs off of a battery than the technology itself can't be that big of a drain on battery life. At the very least, a set of cushy over the ear headphones, should be able to hold a charge for a movie or two. I definitely agree bluetooth would be the way to go for long term portable applications but for Home Theater viewing a shorter battery life may not put the nail in that coffin.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a good bluetooth headset to use with my Home Theater (apartment with neighbors and all) but I figured I'd wait until AirPlay made its debut to decide. Unfortunately, Apple just didn't tie this launch together as well as I had hoped they would.

banhamd
Nov 28, 2010, 05:00 AM
What i was intuitively expecting airplay to do was to allow me to listen to a movie by having headphones plugged into my iphone 4 but watch it on the big screen but when you switch to the headphones option it just takes the movie back to the iphone. Seems it would be a v.simple enhancement to add a third option to the airplay menu...... then you wouldn't need to arse about with bluetooth headphones or special airplay compatible ones, which , lets face it , will sound crap compared to a proper pair. :)