Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
I've been inspired recently by dubstep remixes of existing music, and want to try my own hand at it. The trouble is, I have absolutely no experience doing any kind of audio work, beyond the most rudimentary mixing necessary for video editing.

Here's an example of a dubstep remix that I like, and based on my own [extremely] limited knowledge of audio production, I think it'd be relatively simple compared to some other kinds of remixes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0H57JeQYN4

What kind of software would be ideal for this kind of work? Is it feasible to jump straight into the dubstep genre in remixing music?

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Please don't. 99% of those tunes sound horrible. To do a decent remix you need the stems (all of the parts, drums, synths, vocals, etc separate).

If you really want to do one then garageband will be able to do it. Or logic/cubase etc if your a bit more advanced.

Don't post it here though, go to dubstepforum.com and see what they make of it lol

DaftZombie

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
Washington State
Please don't. 99% of those tunes sound horrible. To do a decent remix you need the stems (all of the parts, drums, synths, vocals, etc separate).

If you really want to do one then garageband will be able to do it. Or logic/cubase etc if your a bit more advanced.

Don't post it here though, go to dubstepforum.com and see what they make of it lol

99% of what sounds horrible, dubstep? If that's your opinion cool, but I don't see why you posted in this thread.

To OP- I've been messing around with making electronic music for a while, listening to LOTS and what I've gathered about dubstep is-

-Around 140bpm, give or take 5-10bpm.
-Half time feel, so snare hits usually on 3 of every measure
-Wobble synths are what most people associated dubstep with, this is done using an LFO (or something) that controls a frequency filter.
- Other than wobble bass, most consider dubstep to be about heavy kick drums and fat, warm bass

None of that is my opinion or take on the style, I've read or heard it said by those who know what they're saying. Hope it helps.

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
There's a Mac app called Djay that will at least help you get your feet wet with remixing. You can alter speed of tracks, set loop cues, adjust pitch, delay, echo...all sorts of things. It's a pretty powerful program and very simple to pick up in an afternoon.

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
99% of what sounds horrible, dubstep? If that's your opinion cool, but I don't see why you posted in this thread.

To OP- I've been messing around with making electronic music for a while, listening to LOTS and what I've gathered about dubstep is-

-Around 140bpm, give or take 5-10bpm.
-Half time feel, so snare hits usually on 3 of every measure
-Wobble synths are what most people associated dubstep with, this is done using an LFO (or something) that controls a frequency filter.
- Other than wobble bass, most consider dubstep to be about heavy kick drums and fat, warm bass

None of that is my opinion or take on the style, I've read or heard it said by those who know what they're saying. Hope it helps.

No, I actually like and produce dubstep, its the remixes that are often wank.

Why do a remix? Make your own style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3awly_2oXo - tutorial for garageband

wobble away

DaftZombie

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
Washington State
No, I actually like and produce dubstep, its the remixes that are often wank.

Why do a remix? Make your own style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3awly_2oXo - tutorial for garageband

wobble away

I really enjoy makin remixes, it's fun playing with harmonies and structure and turning a song you like into something that has your personal stamp on it. I agree though that most attempts at full on dubstep are crap. It's different trying to inject wobbles into a song than building around them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.