Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
It's a Mac, right?
Everybody says they're so cool and yet so hot!!!!

Oh, and I need to do some really complex 3D work, HD video-editing and run Protools all at the same time while I'm hanging around here with you guys.

I mean it just sucks that it's only got a 40gb HD in it – I need at least 300gb. WTF is Apple thinking of? This sucks...

And only 1gb of RAM – why not more? I could build a better PC for half the amount of money... It should have FW800 in it for that price... and gigabit ethernet.

And no keyboard or mouse? They're going to cost a fortune to buy... same with that cinema display that I have to have on my desk.

The whole thing's a complete rip-off. Maybe I should wait till the G5 PowerBook comes out next week...

BTW: Does anybody know when Tiger's going to be ready?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
with 9200 in it you can forget it,with FX5200 you can forget it. The entry will be a powermac with a Modern video card then ask yourself does any mac have a modern video card? the answer is only the top powermac. Apple is pushing Ho Hum video chips with performance of years ago in every machine it makes. Sad but true.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Not much we can do about it except email apple or vote with our wallets. Apple seems stuck in its Ho HUM lackluster video from years ago is good enough for all because Jobs doesnt game. :rolleyes: There will be no doom3 for minimac owners,emac owners,imac owners and even some base powermac owners. Sad that Apple doesnt want you to have the ability to use better video they want you to buy another all in one in 2 years that will be sold with video from last year. :rolleyes: It is very Sad.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
Not much we can do about it except email apple or vote with our wallets. Apple seems stuck in its Ho HUM lackluster video from years ago is good enough for all because Jobs doesnt game. :rolleyes: There will be no doom3 for minimac owners,emac owners,imac owners and even some base powermac owners. Sad that Apple doesnt want you to have the ability to use better video they want you to buy another all in one in 2 years that will be sold with video from last year. :rolleyes: It is very Sad.

Wise up... I am gently pulling your leg.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Off Topic (sort of), but Doom3 is really not that good. I got bored about half way through and gave up. The graphics engine is amazing, the lighting effects in particular are the best I've ever seen, but there is only so many times you can walk into a room, kill everything you see then have something jump out from a hidden panel behind you! And a lot of the time at least 30% of the screen is pure black (sometimes a lot more).

Far Cry was so much better :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
robbieduncan said:
Off Topic (sort of), but Doom3 is really not that good. I got bored about half way through and gave up. The graphics engine is amazing, the lighting effects in particular are the best I've ever seen, but there is only so many times you can walk into a room, kill everything you see then have something jump out from a hidden panel behind you! And a lot of the time at least 30% of the screen is pure black (sometimes a lot more).

Far Cry was so much better :)
I kind of agree, Doom 3 was a Good game not outstanding but its graphics is outstanding. Halflife 2 is a outstanding game with outstanding graphics. "Pacific Fighters is a lot of fun. Far cry is on the list.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
robbieduncan said:

ditto here
thank god i tried the demo first... i even got bored _in the demo_ of doom3 ... the "go int oroom pick up something hidden panels open mosnter attack you from behind" simply doesn't cut it anymore in 2005 but of course the graphics were fantastic

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
This is the reason I've not been around much, I'll just end up jumping down every newbs (well, not every, but most) throat and wind up getting myself banned :eek: Drives me crazy, and I just can't be bothered with it. Hopyfully all these idiots that can't seem to google for information themselves will clear out in a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
First I read the title.... :eek:
Then I read your name under it... :D

It sums it up pretty well. I just skip those threads, they're just not worth the time I need to read them.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
edesignuk said:
This is the reason I've not been around much, I'll just end up jumping down every newbs (well, not every, but most) throat and wind up getting myself banned :eek: Drives me crazy, and I just can't be bothered with it. Hopyfully all these idiots that can't seem to google for information themselves will clear out in a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

Thought you'd been a little quiet recently. We miss you (and your pix).

I just thought I'd vent my frustrations in one thread instead of the scatter-gun approach.

Can't believe that some people took me seriously :rolleyes: :D

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Blue Velvet said:
Can't believe that some people took me seriously :rolleyes: :D
All subtlety is generally lost in the trans - Atlantic data stream. I've got into trouble for this very reason before... it'll probably happen again. :rolleyes:

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
edesignuk said:

haha yeah it kinda reminds myself of my first time here where i was being jumped at enough for critsizing the all in one design and even considering a cheaper headless apple ...

now a few months later even _i_ was setting the price to high for such a product...

(and the only thing that is worse to being a newbie on a mac forum... is to transfer the money for your first apple to apple on a friday afternoon 3pm and then having to wait for the confirmation e-mail if they got the money ...)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Blue Velvet said:
It's a Mac, right?
Everybody says they're so cool and yet so hot!!!!

Oh, and I need to do some really complex 3D work, HD video-editing and run Protools all at the same time while I'm hanging around here with you guys.

I mean it just sucks that it's only got a 40gb HD in it – I need at least 300gb. WTF is Apple thinking of? This sucks...

And only 1gb of RAM – why not more? I could build a better PC for half the amount of money... It should have FW800 in it for that price... and gigabit ethernet.

And no keyboard or mouse? They're going to cost a fortune to buy... same with that cinema display that I have to have on my desk.

The whole thing's a complete rip-off. Maybe I should wait till the G5 PowerBook comes out next week...

BTW: Does anybody know when Tiger's going to be ready?

there is the old 80-20 rule. For 80% of the users the new mini will be great. For the other 20% it won't. That is why Apple offers other high end gear for the other 20%.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
teh mac mini suckzors! M$ is goin 2 beat apple and apple will die!

Phew, that felt... uh. Well. Hmmm....

Anywhoo

It really is just annoying having people buzz around and ask questions over and over and over again. I've tried directing people on how to search, but its like a little wooden dam trying to stop an onslaught of water. It just ain't gonna work.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Chip NoVaMac said:
there is the old 80-20 rule. For 80% of the users the new mini will be great. For the other 20% it won't. That is why Apple offers other high end gear for the other 20%.

I see someone's taken project management. Good ol' 80-20, concentrate 80% of your time on the most important priorities (or market in Apple's case). If that's indeed the case, this would imply that previously the eMac/iMac are the biggest sellers >> which makes sense. Dell sells a ton of their baseline 2.4-2.6Ghz P4's, even today, so the same is said about Apple.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well we need more Mini Macs suck threads as much as we need Poor ThinkSecret Gets Trampled Thread.

But the nice thing about all these MiniWhiners is...

That they'll probably be the first ones to line up at freecrap.com and crappygifts.com to get in on the $40 & "Free" MiniMac offers. :p

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
teh mac mini suckzors! M$ is goin 2 beat apple and apple will die!

Phew, that felt... uh. Well. Hmmm....

Damn!
Forgot some SMS text-speak to give it more authenticity...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Damn!
Forgot some SMS text-speak to give it more authenticity...

Its ok... enough people believed you... and that's why there is an EDIT button! :D

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Dont Hurt Me said:
I kind of agree, Doom 3 was a Good game not outstanding but its graphics is outstanding.

With more and more people saying this, it seems that id just made Doom 3 to be able to license the engine out to people, sort of like Quake3.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
The Mac Mini is so bad (bad bad, not bad good) that market share will only grow to include people's grandparents who want to become high tech and more conveniently browse their grandkid's photos. Some people's moms, especially the divorced kind who fancy themselves freelance photographers before office temp reality sets in, might also be wooed.

I won't recommend this system even to eunuchs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.