PDA

View Full Version : Airplay and :apple: TV first gen

Italiandude
Nov 23, 2010, 02:59 AM
Hallo there,

so.. no chance this 4.2 update applies to my 40 Gb :apple:TV?

If so, why not?

Thanks

gr8tfly
Nov 23, 2010, 03:27 AM
Doesn't apply.

Airplay will function as AirTunes did through iTunes, but that's all.

David The Scot
Nov 23, 2010, 05:29 AM
My apple TV first gen cant play stuff from my iphone.

The apple tv can play from my mac but it does not show up as an option on my iphone.

But my airport express shows up!

Crimson77
Nov 23, 2010, 05:48 AM
It would be really nice to have AirPlay for the original AppleTV also.

anim8or
Nov 23, 2010, 05:56 AM

The apple tv can play from my mac but it does not show up as an option on my iphone.

Is that a first gen airport express?? EG not a wireless 'n' capable one??

Phil A.
Nov 23, 2010, 07:08 AM
It would be really nice to have AirPlay for the original AppleTV also.
Apple have already announced that the first generation Apple TV will see no more updates, so whilst I agree with you (I have two of the original Apple TVs), it isn't going to happen (which is why I went out this morning and bought a 2nd generation one)

Basically, the following applies

First Generation Apple TV will not work at all with AirPlay from iOS devices (neither sound nor video), but will continue to work through iTunes on a PC / Mac as it always has.

All revisions of Airport Express (G and N) work with AirPlay on iOS devices for streaming Audio

Second Generation Apple TV with the latest software update will work with AirPlay from iOS devices for sound and video from the iPod app and YouTube, but with audio only from MobileMe gallery videos and streamed videos in Safari. It will stream audio from pretty much any source