PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV Gen1 - Access streaming sources via Remote.app?

CraigL2112
Nov 23, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Folks -

I've got a 40GB AppleTV that I'm looking to integrate into the stereo that is built into my home. The thought was to simply cable in the L/R audio into the head unit and control the device via one of the iPhones, iPod or iPad in the house using the Remote application. In my basic mock-up testing, this works like a champ.

My issue arises when it comes to streaming sources. I have my Macbook Pro set up on the AppleTV as a streaming source and it works perfectly. However, when you fire up the Remote application, there does not appear to be any way to access those souces except via the on-screen AppleTV menu. It's puzzling, though, since if you go to 'Whats Playing' on the Remote app, it shows you the artwork and you can control the current album or playlist! So, the guts to do what I want are clearly there.

Since we have multiple iTunes libraries in the house (and you can only sync one with the AppleTV), this seemed like the best approach.

Is what I am asking for impossible, or do I just have the setup botched?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

-Craig

GeekLawyer
Nov 24, 2010, 03:25 PM
I think what you're asking is impossible. I can remember running into this problem with my first AppleTV. It treats its "mother" iTunes computer specially. Other instances of iTunes are handled less fully by Remote.app.

Unless I completely missed something.