Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
Has anyone heard of GloveTips? They're a kit that allows you to modify your gloves to make them touchscreen compatible. I've been searching for some touchscreen gloves, but I've never found any that are warm, accurate AND actually look decent. GloveTips are installed on your gloves you already own. I came across the youtube videos some months ago and I just checked the website and it looks like they're finally available to purchase. Has anyone tried these out yet? The YouTube videos make it look pretty slick...

http://www.glovetips.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q2V7aniKyM

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Looks pretty cool to me. I have recently been wondering if it was possible to make something that could be put on fingernails (like an overlay that goes on before the polish) to allow them to work on touchscreens. Seeing this gives me some hope but also dashes my hopes due to needing to use the thread. My wife gets her nails done, like millions of other women and due to that, cannot use small capacitive touchscreens well. She does OK with her iPad since there is enough room to put her fingers sideways or use a knuckle, but cannot stand to use my iPhone.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
I've got a pair of agloves and they're pretty nice gloves, and cheaper than that kit.

I saw those Agloves. They seem nice, but are they warm? They're knitted, right? I live in a windy part of the country and mittens won't work at all for me.

Also, since the entire glove is conductive, can you actually type text precisely with Agloves on an iPhone? Seems like it would be difficult to be precise with such a large conductive area. Their videos show typing on the iPad, but not iPhone--which obviously has much larger typing area.

And as far as pricing goes--with the discount they're running--$15 w/ free shipping is cheaper than Agloves, right?--and you get 3 glovetips--so you could, in theory, use mod 3 different pairs of gloves.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
I saw those Agloves. They seem nice, but are they warm? They're knitted, right? I live in a windy part of the country and mittens won't work at all for me.

Also, since the entire glove is conductive, can you actually type text precisely with Agloves on an iPhone? Seems like it would be difficult to be precise with such a large conductive area. Their videos show typing on the iPad, but not iPhone--which obviously has much larger typing area.

And as far as pricing goes--with the discount they're running--$15 w/ free shipping is cheaper than Agloves, right?--and you get 3 glovetips--so you could, in theory, use mod 3 different pairs of gloves.

I can't speak to the warmness, really. I live in Texas, so cold to me probably isn't even close to cold for you. They work for me though. TYea, the entire glove is conductive, but so is your entire thumb. They're not too terribly thick, so it's not a big deal, I can type on my iPhone with them no problem.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
With glovetips, it looks like you have to tread the tips onto your gloves or something? How does this work? Buying the agloves looks much easier..

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
With glovetips, it looks like you have to tread the tips onto your gloves or something? How does this work? Buying the agloves looks much easier..

Yeah--the website shows the installation process--shows a full installation in under 2 minutes. Comes with all the tools as well. So that isn't really a big deal for me.

Agloves won't do it for me--mittens just won't work well. They aren't warm, susceptible to wind, they get wet, etc. There's no way i could go skiing with AGloves.

Looks like all of the available options have their pros and cons... what to do... what to do...

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010

really sounds like you work/getting paid by this company

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
really sounds like you work/getting paid by this company

:rolleyes:

Actually, i'm just a lowly attorney who's too cheap to park near his office. I walk quite a ways up a fricken wind tunnel every morning, so i've been looking around for something that'll work.

Regardless, i'm giving these things a go to see how they work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.