PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash reader for iPad

PracticalMac
Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

I read using the Apple Camera USB Adapter and a Compact Flash reader it is possible to connect CF to iPad.

Can someone please list what CF readers work (or link to post that already lists, could not find).

Also, where can I post to Apple Feed back about making a direct CF adapter?

Thx

b.c.
Nov 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
Also, where can I post to Apple Feed back about making a direct CF adapter?

perhaps here? http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

PracticalMac
Nov 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
perhaps here? http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Yes. thats one, TY

b.c.
Nov 23, 2010, 03:12 PM
Yes. thats one, TY

you're welcome. sorry don't know the answer to your other question. I too wonder if there's a list of CCK-compatible CF readers. In the meantime I'm just using USB cable to direct-connect my 40D to iPad+CCK

PracticalMac
Nov 27, 2010, 06:35 PM
you're welcome. sorry don't know the answer to your other question. I too wonder if there's a list of CCK-compatible CF readers. In the meantime I'm just using USB cable to direct-connect my 40D to iPad+CCK

I do not have camera to connect, this is for a special computer, and I just need CF compatibility.

Anyone have any recommended CF readers?

PracticalMac
Dec 3, 2010, 04:33 PM
What, no one here is a photographer?

shadowness
Dec 3, 2010, 05:56 PM
I still don't have the cck, but know first hand that lexar card readers and belkin multi card reader works well. Heck even my friend had a no name Chinese multi card reader which worked with the iPad!

There were a couple of videos on YouTube showing different brands of card readers being tried on the cck. Check it out!
I will try to find the link and post it here!

PracticalMac
Dec 20, 2010, 02:27 PM
I still don't have the cck, but know first hand that lexar card readers and belkin multi card reader works well. Heck even my friend had a no name Chinese multi card reader which worked with the iPad!

There were a couple of videos on YouTube showing different brands of card readers being tried on the cck. Check it out!
I will try to find the link and post it here!

Great to know!

I think I hold out till iPad2 b4 I bite. :)
(have iPod T now)

grayskyz
Dec 26, 2010, 03:25 PM
What, no one here is a photographer?

As a photographer you may want to get 4 of these: http://liten.be//uavpL (or faster)
instead of trying to load them all on an ipad. Loading them on your ipad
is a slow process and crashes often while loading pics from a SD card,
so I imagine it is the same on a compact flash.

Then you have to unload them all when you get home. It's not the best
workflow in my opinion. Plus, you won't be viewing you images at 100%
anyway so, it's not perfect for proofing images. It is great for showing off
ipad optimized images as a portfolio however. Hope that helps!

C.

ScottFreeSBP
Dec 26, 2010, 06:54 PM
Can anyone confirm which compact flash readers work following the 4.2 update? This seriously puts a downer on my recent decision to purchase an ipad if nothing works. A fairly quick on the spot review of photos while on location was a big part of the decision process for me.

Any help appreciated

The Afroman
Dec 27, 2010, 08:58 AM
Yep. worked a-ok with my new camera connection kit i got for xmas.
- used a cheap-o 4 dollar card reader into the usb plug in the CCK. worked 100%
I'm on 4.2.1

huskyte
Dec 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
Sorry, 4.2 srewed it all up. the allowed maximum current was dropped to almost zero. Before at least Transcend CFs worked perfectly with almost every reader, but as up to now nothing does anymore. I hope this is just temporary as Apple cannot honestly suggest professional photographers to uses crappy SDs while almost all expensive gear is CF ready.
A trick I might try is to buy an USB hub with CF reader and the possibility of an external power source and use batteries on it. Usually there is simply no power source available where i go, but I found out the iPad to be working above 18000 ft properly ;-)

Hammie
Dec 27, 2010, 11:56 AM
Sorry, 4.2 srewed it all up. the allowed maximum current was dropped to almost zero. Before at least Transcend CFs worked perfectly with almost every reader, but as up to now nothing does anymore. I hope this is just temporary as Apple cannot honestly suggest professional photographers to uses crappy SDs while almost all expensive gear is CF ready.
A trick I might try is to buy an USB hub with CF reader and the possibility of an external power source and use batteries on it. Usually there is simply no power source available where i go, but I found out the iPad to be working above 18000 ft properly ;-)

That sucks!!!

I know in the past I was not able to get any CF cards larger than 8GB to work in any CF reader that I tried. Fortunately, all nut one are 4GB that I own. We were trying a friends who uses 16GB and 32GB CF cards.

The bigger the card the more power they draw. Which is over the limit that Apple approved for that port.

ScottFreeSBP
Dec 29, 2010, 04:13 AM
Yep. worked a-ok with my new camera connection kit i got for xmas.
- used a cheap-o 4 dollar card reader into the usb plug in the CCK. worked 100%
I'm on 4.2.1

What brand is it? Any help would be majorly appreciated.

I've only tried my 16gb card, I didn't realize card size had a bearing. I have an 8th which I will try tonight. But which card readers (brand and model if you can mention them please) are working with the lower capacity cards.

Does the card manufacturer matter. I use sandisk extreme or pro. Sure I'm not alone there.

This is something I need to get sorted for the new year.

FMJPhoto.com
Dec 29, 2010, 04:27 AM
I hope this is just temporary as Apple cannot honestly suggest professional photographers to uses crappy SDs while almost all expensive gear is CF ready.

Nikon D300s accepts both SDHC and CF, at the same time. I set the SDHC to save the jpegs for quick proofs and the CF for the RAW files.

Take the wifi SD card for instance. Becoming very popular among professionals, it can send the photos over the air to an iPad, sans any cables or any hassle. Essentially making an SD card preferable.

CF isn't the only/best option for professional use anymore. Not that Apple knows this or thinks about this, but it's not exactly a hinderance for pro photographers anymore, unless you shoot Canon lol.

Kebabselector
Dec 29, 2010, 06:14 AM
unless you shoot Canon lol.

The 1D series have had dual CF and SD slots for a while now. The Nikon D3 has dual CF only.

ScottFreeSBP
Dec 30, 2010, 06:29 PM
Nikon D300s accepts both SDHC and CF, at the same time. I set the SDHC to save the jpegs for quick proofs and the CF for the RAW files.

Take the wifi SD card for instance. Becoming very popular among professionals, it can send the photos over the air to an iPad, sans any cables or any hassle. Essentially making an SD card preferable.

CF isn't the only/best option for professional use anymore. Not that Apple knows this or thinks about this, but it's not exactly a hinderance for pro photographers anymore, unless you shoot Canon lol.

I actually worked this one out fairly early on in the piece, am yet to investigate it. What software interface on the ipad allows you to go straight from card to iPad?

Also a bunch of other pros round my area seem to think that you need one of those personal wifi hotspots to make this work.

Have you tried it yet? Does it 100% work? If you have and could post your setup please that'd be awesome. I think it has pretty awesome implications, having a second photographer/assistant being able to draw attention to any potential exposure issues in real time. Or having the client sitting there with a glasss of champagne offering feedback.