PDA

View Full Version : losing hard drive space..

unispherephoto
Jan 16, 2005, 02:14 PM
for some reason, my hard drive appears to be filling up on its own. i have not loaded anything new onto the drive nor am i in the process of downloading anything, yet after i leave my system running for any significant amount of time i have less drive space than i had before. if i restart, i will usually regain the lost space. is this a virtual memory issue? is it because my drive is almost full? (> 1 gb left)

also, i am still almost 3 gb short of capacity (drive is journaled hfs+, 18.63 gb, but only 15.97 worth of files show up when folder sizes are added up)

i have run cocktail to clean all caches, etc..but that never gives me more than a couple hundred mbs.

any ideas?

-----------------------------
TiBook 500/512/x.3.7

Littleodie914
Jan 16, 2005, 02:34 PM
It's the VM filling up. Something like Windows XP's "page file". It's the part of the hard drive that the OS is using for extra memory. The only way I know of to revive it is to reboot your computer. Don't worry about the space though, if you need more, the VM size should automatically decrease, giving you more space.

unispherephoto
Jan 16, 2005, 02:37 PM
ok thanks. any way to get back this lost 3 gb though? i cant imagine VM takes that much (and it never comes back after restart either)

MP2
Jan 16, 2005, 02:39 PM
try running something like delocalizer to remove unneeded languages. saved several hundred mb on my 10gb hd if i recall correctly.

http://www.bombich.com/software/local.html

Nermal
Jan 16, 2005, 03:38 PM
The swap files are in /var/vm. If you look in there, you'll be able to see how much space they're using, and whether they're the culprit.

unispherephoto
Jan 16, 2005, 03:39 PM
yeah i used monolingual..but that still leaves more than 2 gb unaccounted for...

Mechcozmo
Jan 16, 2005, 04:17 PM
yeah i used monolingual..but that still leaves more than 2 gb unaccounted for...

Have you tried restarting to clear out the swapfile?

Mechcozmo
Jan 16, 2005, 04:19 PM
ok thanks. any way to get back this lost 3 gb though? i cant imagine VM takes that much (and it never comes back after restart either)

Virtual Memory can take quite a lot of space.

And sometimes files don't add up correctly if a user isn't logged in, etc.

unispherephoto
Jan 16, 2005, 04:24 PM
where is this var/vm?
is it invisible?

3Memos
Jan 16, 2005, 04:25 PM
OSX is great at managing disk space. Don't worry about it too much. Unlike Windows, OSX won't litter your HD with temp files.

unispherephoto
Jan 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
yeah ive never even had to think about it before..i just noticed this recently.

thanks for the info

neilrobinson
Jan 16, 2005, 04:35 PM
VM in OSX seems huge to me - i have 1gig of ram and the swap file is 3.1gig thats with safari and mail open...

if you do get short on space it does tend to auto reduce.

cluthz
Jan 16, 2005, 05:18 PM
IF you only have a few hundred MBs left on a 20GB HD, then you'll experience slowdons. Keep atleast 2GB free, or the HD performance will suffer!

Mechcozmo
Jan 16, 2005, 07:08 PM
where is this var/vm?
is it invisible?

Yes, it is invisible and controlled by the OS.

VM in OSX seems huge to me - i have 1gig of ram and the swap file is 3.1gig thats with safari and mail open...

if you do get short on space it does tend to auto reduce.

Yup. But the best thing to do is keep at least 2 GB free. Or, get a bigger hard drive...:D :rolleyes:

hcuar
Jan 16, 2005, 07:35 PM
Maybe it's time to buy and external firewire HD to move uneeded files to. (pics, music, etc)