Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst Apple's website does not say whether the Cinema Display requires DVD-D input it seems likely that it does (and therefore this adaptor would not work). I would phone Apple to check...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah, but...

A vga-dvi adapter should work, but it would ruin the entire point of getting a nice new apple display. Sending an analog signal to a nice new digital lcd would look terrible.

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
I contacted Lindy and they said that this adapter outputs to DVI-A (analogue) this is the same shape as a normal DVI but uses a different (extra?) pin.

I found on the white paper for the Apple Display that apple have not included this pin so it cannot connect to a DVI-A

So in otherwords it cannot interpret analogue data

David

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Ah -- was looking for specs on the DVI connector type used by these displays. I was hoping that Apple would let me use an analog adapter, but was expecting that they wouldn't.

I really want to pick up a 20" LCD, but I'm not shelling out $250 to upgrade my KVM switch to DVI.

D'oh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.