PDA

View Full Version : vga to dvi adapter ?

illustratorDavi
Jan 16, 2005, 02:20 PM
Hi

I've found this adapter that connects vga to dvi(analogue). Does anyone know if this could work with a new apple display ? Does anyone have any experience with a similar product ?

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41223/index.php

Thanks
David

robbieduncan
Jan 16, 2005, 02:31 PM
Whilst Apple's website does not say whether the Cinema Display requires DVD-D input it seems likely that it does (and therefore this adaptor would not work). I would phone Apple to check...

tdhurst
Jan 16, 2005, 02:52 PM
A vga-dvi adapter should work, but it would ruin the entire point of getting a nice new apple display. Sending an analog signal to a nice new digital lcd would look terrible.

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 25, 2005, 02:46 PM
Has anyone been able to either confirm or deny this?

illustratorDavi
Jan 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
I contacted Lindy and they said that this adapter outputs to DVI-A (analogue) this is the same shape as a normal DVI but uses a different (extra?) pin.

I found on the white paper for the Apple Display that apple have not included this pin so it cannot connect to a DVI-A

So in otherwords it cannot interpret analogue data

David

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 25, 2005, 04:24 PM
Ah -- was looking for specs on the DVI connector type used by these displays. I was hoping that Apple would let me use an analog adapter, but was expecting that they wouldn't.

I really want to pick up a 20" LCD, but I'm not shelling out $250 to upgrade my KVM switch to DVI.

D'oh.