Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nolan.k.mitchel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2008
The Christmas season is already among us and as Chistmas day quickly approaches I'm yet again being asked by family and friends to come up with a list of gift ideas.

I'll be moving into a new loft on Dec. 1st and have been trying to come up with the best possible entertainment setup I can think of for a reasonable price. The loft isn't huge and consists of a small office, bedroom, open concept living room/kitchen. Armed with a couple Apple products already and a couple Apple gift cards from past holidays/birthdays I'm trying to figure out what this setup should be and what things I could put on my list to improve it.

What I have so far:

- Macbook Pro (160gb)
- GF's PC laptop
- iPhone 4
- 58" t.v
- PS3
- Speaker system
- Cable
- Wireless

What I'm thinking:

- Get an Apple TV and purchase NetFlix allowing me to cancel my Cable subscription
- Purchase a 27" iMac for the office at home (I've just about saved up some money for this)
- Either buy a Time Capsul or Airport Extreme to store movies/music and act as the central storage between my GF's PC and my mac. I'm just unsure if I should get an Airport Extreme and hook up external HD's instead of shelling out the extra cash for the TC.

Right now I can stream some content from both of our computers using my PS3 but it's not the greatest and my GF won't even use it since she finds it confusing. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I could make the overal entertainment experience in my home better?

Thanks guys!

pkemp

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
here is what you need

Get a mac mini with Plex app, SABnzbd, sickbeard, and couchpotato.

store everything on a 6TB NAS drive (i use WD's my book world II).

also check out applemediacenter.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.