PDA

View Full Version : VLC on iPad & AirPlay?

Nghia Nguyen
Nov 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Understanding that for now we can't play movies/music from Mac on Apple TV via AirPlay, is there any sneaky way that we can still do it? I was thinking about using VLC on the iPad (so I can save the step of conversion), but I'm not sure if it's compatible with AirPlay. Can anybody help me clarify all this?

Meever
Nov 23, 2010, 06:49 PM
No. At the moment it doesn't support any 4.2 features from what I can tell. It needs to be updated. Hell, performance and glitches need to be addressed before airplay..... but from the sound of all the recent drama situation doesn't look very good.

diamondjimbo
Dec 2, 2010, 05:00 AM
but isn't there an Apple TV reconfigure/hack that can then stream any video codec to/thru Apple TV?

OldSchoolMacGuy
Dec 3, 2010, 04:19 PM
but isn't there an Apple TV reconfigure/hack that can then stream any video codec to/thru Apple TV?

aTV Flash (black) will add additional video codecs in upcoming versions. It does require the Apple TV to be jailbroken.

Wheeler
Dec 3, 2010, 04:27 PM
It's actually an ipad hack that will enable airplay in the VLC app- jailbrake your ipad then install airvideoenabler or allplay. caution: jailbrake is tethered.

I can only get mp4's to airplay via vlc but others have had success with more formats.