PDA

View Full Version : Graphics distorted on G5 Quad(not graphics card)

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 23, 2010, 06:31 PM
Well I was swapping some processors around on my G5 when I noticed that I was getting some weird graphical glitches. They went away when I disabled the 3-4 CPUs and made it a dual-core. The glitches are replicable when sizing windows and consistent when different window sizes. I'm starting to wonder if one of my CPUs are faulty...? Everything seems to be running fine otherwise. I attached a pic of the graphic anomaly I'm getting with all 4 core active and it only appears around text and it's always red color.

On a side note I also noticed that 2 of my dimm slots are reporting errors, the two outer banks. I've removed them and it's fine. Gonna load up the diagnostic discs to see if it finds anything.

California
Nov 24, 2010, 04:37 PM
Check for leaks and I'm emailing you for that 1gb 2700 chip finally. Do need it.

ThunderSnake
Nov 24, 2010, 07:18 PM
A Radeon 9800 in one of my G4's was doing something quite similar to that a few months ago. It turned out that I had forgotten to plug the ATA cable back into my DVD drive the last time I was monkeying around with the system. Yes, really. It seems like a trivial thing that shouldn't effect anything but the DVD drive, but the video card got REALLY upset about it. Still not believing it, I unplugged it again just to see if the problem would return. It did. The molex power cable hooked up to the DVD drive with no ATA connection created enough electrical weirdness to mess with the video card.

If this started with your CPU swap, it's probably related to exactly that, but also check around for anything else that you might have accidentally pulled loose.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 25, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the posts. There are no leaks. I did get another stock LCS assembly as I sold my modified one. I got the parts to modify this one when I get enough time again.

I will try that as I doubt that is the culprit in my case. I've already reinstalled the OS and removed the graphics card and used screen sharing so this is definitely not the graphics card. I uploaded a screen shot while screen sharing.

Guess I'll try and reseat the processors or swap them around. This is such a hassle :p

I also need to see if I can find other memory to see what's going on with the outer memory banks as maybe this is the cause of the graphics distortion? Guess I'll keep everyone posted with updates.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 25, 2010, 10:41 AM
Just tried some other memory and it booted and then quickly shut off, put the other back in and now all banks are working as it's seeing the 8gb again :confused:.

Still have the screwed up graphics however...

Will mess around with it this weekend unless I get a bit of time later. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.