Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Hey guys. So I came home from school on Thanksgiving break, and it seems that my 5th gen. iPod (30GB) won't turn on. I currently have it plugged into my computer, and every minute or so the startup apple shows up, then disappears after 10 seconds. The iPod seems to shut down, then turn right back on.

My guess would be a battery problem, but I wanted to check and make sure. I don't know the typical life span of an iPod, but I bought this in 2006.

Thanks for your help!

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Battery?
It must be the HDD. Ask apple how much it would cost to repair, but you are better off with just selling it.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
To RJT1000. You can put in a 120gig drive into the ipod 30gig. Its not very hard at all. Ive replaced hard drives in that model many times. The only issue you may run into is the lack of ram in that model to hold 120 gigs worth of music. The database is held in ram and the 30gig model had half the memory than the 60/80 gig models.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
I am considering upgrading the hard drive on my 30 gb iPod 5th generation when I replace the battery which is now lasting only an hour or two. Apparently 120gb will now fit.

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=42

Anybody here do this and can recommend or not?

In any event, there are many repair services and how to videos, so if you like your iPod 5th generation it might be worth repairing and/ or upgrading it.

i've done it, and it was easy-cheesey.

To RJT1000. You can put in a 120gig drive into the ipod 30gig. Its not very hard at all. Ive replaced hard drives in that model many times. The only issue you may run into is the lack of ram in that model to hold 120 gigs worth of music. The database is held in ram and the 30gig model had half the memory than the 60/80 gig models.

mine seems to run just fine? i only have about half the 120gb filled up, but i haven't had any operation issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.