PDA

View Full Version : What Changes To The iPod Would You Like To See?

LaMerVipere
Jan 16, 2005, 06:11 PM
Top 3 Changes/Improvements I'd Like To See:

1. Ability to control the brightness of the backlight
2. Crossfade between tracks like in iTunes
3. Instead of just having the option of "Most Played Songs" that have played on your iTunes, include an option for "Most Played Songs" that have played on your iPod, or the ability to combine both for a more accurate "Most Played Songs" list

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 06:14 PM
2. Crossfade between tracks like in iTunes

Not only that but true gapless playback in both iPod and iTunes.

mcmav37
Jan 16, 2005, 06:21 PM
Top 3 Changes/Improvements I'd Like To See:

3. Instead of just having the option of "Most Played Songs" that have played on your iTunes, include an option for "Most Played Songs" that have played on your iPod, or the ability to combine both for a more accurate "Most Played Songs" list

Doesn't this already happen? When I sync my iPod, the play count in iTunes is updated to reflect the stuff I listened to from the iPod. Or are you asking for something beyond that?

aricher
Jan 16, 2005, 06:23 PM
Better line-in/mic recording features - the mono recording at low rates BS has got to stop.

I also second the gapless playback comment - very annoying to have a glitchy sounding click esp. between songs that flow into one another.

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 06:24 PM
Doesn't this already happen? When I sync my iPod, the play count in iTunes is updated to reflect the stuff I listened to from the iPod. Or are you asking for something beyond that?

I think it's only sync'ed since the 3G iPods.

mpw
Jan 16, 2005, 06:24 PM
Bluetooth 2 With some really cool Apple wireless headphones.
Automatically pause when I get a call to my Bluetooth phone.

dejo
Jan 16, 2005, 06:27 PM
Better line-in/mic recording features - the mono recording at low rates BS has got to stop.

Yeah, it needs to have a least eight tracks of simultaneous 16-bit, 44KHz recording. :D

sjpetry
Jan 16, 2005, 06:41 PM
AM/FM radio. :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 16, 2005, 06:51 PM
An iPod with a built-in Palm PDA.

Hey I can wish can't I? :D

hcuar
Jan 16, 2005, 07:41 PM
Longer battery life... I don't want to turn my contrast down, etc. I like to get longer than 8 hours.

AM/FM tuner would be nice too.

Other than that? Nothing.

3Memos
Jan 16, 2005, 09:20 PM
The iPod is perfect the way it is. Perhaps get rid of the mirror back and replace it with something that doesnt scratch as easily or shows fingerprints. The anodized aluminum of the mini comes to mind.

andypress
Jan 16, 2005, 11:47 PM
How about bring back the first and second gen design? Much cooler IMO.

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 17, 2005, 01:27 AM
Not only that but true gapless playback in both iPod and iTunes.
Gapless in iTunes is easily achievable. Turn on cross-fading (iTunes Preferences / Audio) and set the time to 0. This doesn't translate to the iPod, though, which is a consistent disappointment.

ChrisBrightwell
Jan 17, 2005, 01:28 AM
The iPod is perfect the way it is. Perhaps get rid of the mirror back and replace it with something that doesnt scratch as easily or shows fingerprints. The anodized aluminum of the mini comes to mind.
Ditto that. That's my only *real" complaint with the iPod.

I'd like a better live recording interface (similar to the Nomad Jukebox 3), but that's not why I bought an iPod. I have an MD recorder for live recording.

Bigheadache
Jan 17, 2005, 01:44 AM
PRICE PARITY for non-Americans!!!!! :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe
Jan 17, 2005, 01:53 AM
Gapless in iTunes is easily achievable. Turn on cross-fading (iTunes Preferences / Audio) and set the time to 0. This doesn't translate to the iPod, though, which is a consistent disappointment.

To me that actually sounds worse. Instead of hearing it just stop/start you hear a very quick ramp down-gap-ramp up of the music.

Lethal

Mechcozmo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:02 AM
Something that doesn't scratch, nick, and ding so easily.

A color screen for all! Damn, those iPod Photos look nice... even if I can't view photos, I'd like the screen.

And while I'm wishing, could it do my laundry? :rolleyes:

EDIT: WHOOHOO!!! I made a 68000! :D:D:D:D:D

dejo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:04 AM
To me that actually sounds worse. Instead of hearing it just stop/start you hear a very quick ramp down-gap-ramp up of the music.

Lethal

True. 0-second crossfade is not exactly the same thing as true, gapless playback. The former makes volume changes; the latter does not. And as noted, the iPod does neither of these.

oingoboingo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:08 AM
I'd like to see a larger built-in RAM buffer. This would help preserve battery life (fewer spin-ups of the hard drive), and also help with skip protection. I've just walked home from work (an hour-long walk) and my 4G 20GB iPod skipped 3-4 times. I'm not jogging or running...just walking. I get skipping almost every time I walk anywhere for longer than about 10 minutes. I've also had my iPod lock up hard a few times while walking, requiring a reset. Not fun.

dejo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:15 AM
I'd like to see a larger built-in RAM buffer. This would help preserve battery life (fewer spin-ups of the hard drive), and also help with skip protection. I've just walked home from work (an hour-long walk) and my 4G 20GB iPod skipped 3-4 times. I'm not jogging or running...just walking. I get skipping almost every time I walk anywhere for longer than about 10 minutes. I've also had my iPod lock up hard a few times while walking, requiring a reset. Not fun.

Strange. The iPods are supposed to have like 20+ minutes of skip protection. I've had a 1st-gen, 3rd-gen and now a iPod Photo and not one of them has ever skipped on me, and I even took my 3rd-gen off-roading a few times (where my brother and I were completely blown away by the skip protection). My iPod Photo does reset itself more often than I would like though.

oingoboingo
Jan 17, 2005, 02:34 AM
Strange. The iPods are supposed to have like 20+ minutes of skip protection. I've had a 1st-gen, 3rd-gen and now a iPod Photo and not one of them has ever skipped on me, and I even took my 3rd-gen off-roading a few times (where my brother and I were completely blown away by the skip protection). My iPod Photo does reset itself more often than I would like though.

Yeah, I'm a little mystified also. Today the iPod skipped on me within 10 minutes of starting my walk, playing through an album start to finish (so the whole playlist should be known in advance to the iPod, and queued up in RAM). It was only a small skip (about 1.5 seconds), but a skip nonetheless Maybe it's a 4G problem. Maybe it's just a problem with mine. But it does happen with enough regularity that on a longish walk (45-60 minutes) it will always happen at least once, and usually more.

jmsait19
Jan 17, 2005, 02:34 AM
double post, sorry.

jmsait19
Jan 17, 2005, 02:35 AM

As with the last guy I've put my 3G iPod to the test and it hasn't missed a beat either. I clip it on my shorts and go biking and no skips. I even wear it at work all the time and I am an audio tech so I'm constantly on the move running cables on stage and stuff, still no skips. If you are still under warranty it would be worth getting checked out. Theres no reason for it to be skipping.

maya
Jan 17, 2005, 03:21 AM
Flash card slot reader and writer.

Line-IN.

Buttons light up.(like the 3G models) :)

White click-wheel instead of gray.

BT would be nice and or WiFi streaming.

AM/FM not needed.

Longer battery life. Always :)

Get rid of the mirror back cover. Oh boy the scratches. :p

That is my hardware list. :)

solvs
Jan 17, 2005, 03:44 AM
I'd like to see that too, but it's probably there for a reason. Battery life, processor capabilities... or just the RIAA not wanting you to take your iPod to a concert and recording in Hi-Fi. :mad:

Maybe just recording capability in the updated mini, 5 or 6GB, or whatever it's going to be.

Sol
Jan 17, 2005, 07:14 AM
I want the iPod to list compilation albums and artists the way iTunes does: in its own 'Compilations' menu and not mixed in with the rest of my artists. At first I had all my compilations in the iPod but all these obscure artists with only one or two tracks were listed amongst my Artists menu. I have unchecked all the compilation tracks from iTunes until (hopefully) Apple updates the firmware.

Shuffle should be more accesible. Having to go back to the top menu in order to select Settings, then Shuffle Songs, then to go back and then continue down the path to the playlist or artist whose songs you want shuffled is too much work. I predict that the next generation of iPods will improve on the current interface by having an iPod Shuffle-like shuffle/playlist button at the back.

Some kind of video output would be nice for when the iPod Photo is used to play music through the television. A low-resolution iTunes visualier would be great or even something basic like a progress bar, track information and album art. I was a little disapointed not to see such a feature in the iPod Photo's current firmware since the slideshow function can allready display graphics that fade in and out.

Veldek
Jan 17, 2005, 07:21 AM
I think it's only sync'ed since the 3G iPods.It works with my 2G iPod, though Iím not sure about the first generation.

Benj
Jan 17, 2005, 09:11 AM
1. Better battery life (the 3G is pretty poor).

2. Thinner (so 40 GB is size of 20 GB - current 40 GB is too big).

3. A choice other than white - I'm bored and I think the iPod is now sufficiently well entrenched that it doesn't need to be so distinctive.

I actively don't want any other features (BT, card readers, colour screen, radio). Keep it simple. I have devices for the other stuff - let's keep this so that it works for everybody and doesn't become a nerd gadget. (As much as most of us like nerd gadgets.)

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 09:18 AM
Go color screens for the entire iPod line. Drop the "photo" name and simplify the lineup to only include 20,40 & 60 GB photo-capable iPods. For the mini, increase to 5GB and make slimmer in width, make 20 hours battery life.

Hodapp
Jan 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
I wish my iPod Photo could play movies. :)

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 09:56 AM

When you sync your iPod, it already combines the "play count" values.

I had a song in loop while doing some work (with the iPod), and when I re-synced the value in iTunes, it jumped by more than 50. :D

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 09:59 AM
Shuffle should be more accesible. Having to go back to the top menu in order to select Settings, then Shuffle Songs, then to go back and then continue down the path to the playlist or artist whose songs you want shuffled is too much work. I predict that the next generation of iPods will improve on the current interface by having an iPod Shuffle-like shuffle/playlist button at the back.

I'd make it "loop one, loop all, shuffle all" instead.

And yes, the loop/shuffle options should be allowed to be in the main menu, even for older generation iPods.

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it needs to have a least eight tracks of simultaneous 16-bit, 44KHz recording. :D

Introducing... GarageBandPod! :D

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:02 AM

Not a bad idea. Though I think in aluminium it would need to be thicker than what it currently is.

I just want a 10GB iPod mini. A silver one, I guess (to match the Mac mini).

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
Perhaps an XLR adaptor for the iPod? Allowing you to record 4-channel 48Khz 16-bit audio to your choice of Uncompressed or 256Kbps AAC.

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:05 AM

Doesn't quite work right in Windows either.

Try with Jean-Michel Jarre's "Les champs magnetiques" (Magnetic Fields), and while there's no gap if you set "zero second cross-fade", there's still some weird stuff happening (easy to hear when going from track 3 to track 4).

It's like the beginning of track 4 gets a few milliseconds skipped or something. :(

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:07 AM
PRICE PARITY for non-Americans!!!!! :rolleyes:

Prices were adjusted a few weeks ago. The Canadian prices are now much closer to the USA prices.

Also, don't forget that in some countries (like UK, I think), the prices have to include all taxes in the price. Other countries, such as USA and Canada, have lower prices but we do pay taxes when actually buying the items.

In the end, you only have your government to blame, now. :D

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:08 AM
EDIT: WHOOHOO!!! I made a 68000! :D:D:D:D:D

:confused:

Edit: just noticed that I'm a 6502 myself. :D

What does it take to become a G5? :eek:

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:09 AM
True. 0-second crossfade is not exactly the same thing as true, gapless playback. The former makes volume changes; the latter does not. And as noted, the iPod does neither of these.

Indeed. Apple should fix this. If set to "zero", there shouldn't be any fade-in/fade-out at all.

I also suggested ways to patch this for both iTunes and iPod (metadata in a big fused track that knows where each track inside it starts/ends).

Yvan256
Jan 17, 2005, 10:11 AM

If you check the specifications webpage, the iPod Photo doesn't have as much skip protection as the other iPods.

And for off-roading, I'd choose the iPod shuffle, dejo. :D

Counterfit
Jan 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see a mini with a 40GB drive.

Yeah, I'll hold :p

iKwick7
Jan 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
Bluetooth 2 With some really cool Apple wireless headphones.
Automatically pause when I get a call to my Bluetooth phone.

That's all I want right there. Bluetooth. :)

stevehaslip
Jan 17, 2005, 10:40 AM
How about a shuffle playlist option? Its all well and good hacing a shuffle for the whole library but how about a shuffle option for just the selected playlist?

If im wrong and it already exists then please correct me as I'd love to be able to do it.

stevehaslip
Jan 17, 2005, 10:49 AM
Edit: Double Post

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."
Been happening a fair bit recently?

Hodapp
Jan 17, 2005, 10:55 AM

Oooo... good call on BlueTooth. Once you originally load your iPod up with music, how much do you transfer to it? Very little in my case, I sync up every once in a while with maybe 100MB worth of music. Awesome for BlueTooth 2.0.

Fredstar
Jan 17, 2005, 11:29 AM
How about a shuffle playlist option? Its all well and good hacing a shuffle for the whole library but how about a shuffle option for just the selected playlist?

If im wrong and it already exists then please correct me as I'd love to be able to do it.

Select shuffle songs in menu and select a playlist and press play...

Benj
Jan 17, 2005, 11:39 AM

Wouldn't the sound quality be dire? It is bad enough with regular Apple headphones, let alone BT ones.

Depending how fast BT 2.0 is I guess it could be used for transfers though.

You realise all this will be pricey though - we either end up with all iPods costing more or a totally fragmented range.

Most buyers will not want to pay any extra for most of these suggestions. (As shown by allegedly slow iPod Photo sales.)

Mechcozmo
Jan 17, 2005, 11:41 AM

I was skiing recently, and a friend of mine took his 3G snowboarding. He said that it never skipped, but when we came in for lunch, it had actually frozen. Frozen as in, too cold of a frozen. We let it sit for a few minutes, and slowly the metal warmed up. It worked fine after ~20 minutes, but the screen was still a bit ghoasty. That cleared up, too. His dad took his iPod Mini out the next day, no skipping, but he held it closer to his chest so it didn't freeze.

It works with my 2G iPod, though Iím not sure about the first generation.

Works with my first generation...

Apple, please give us a software update! I've got iPod version 1.4 on my iPod, can't you get me something like 2.1? I know we are on 3, but I'd like the extra games... extra features... cmon!

3Memos
Jan 17, 2005, 11:43 AM

When Apple added the Shuffle command to the main menu of the 4G iPods and iPod mini, we should have known something was up with the iPod shuffle. It all makes sense now. Steve and Apple deliberately trained us to use shuffle, so we were better prepared to use the iPod shuffle.

stevehaslip
Jan 28, 2005, 06:43 AM

shucks! :o makes me look stupid! i've only had my ipod for a few months and hadn't really thought about shuffle much. The thing that threw me off is that the numbers at the top of the screen still say traack 2 instead of the actual position of the track in the original playlist.

Well this keeps me happy, i can't really ask for much more from an iPod now, although it would be cool if it could butter my toast?

TootsieToots
Jan 28, 2005, 09:43 AM
XM radio! PLEASE!!!

TootsieToots
Jan 28, 2005, 09:47 AM

Funny, as I was un-tangling my headphones with their ridiculously long cord yesterday, I thought, "Wouldn't it be great if they would include Bluetooth in iPods so we can have wireless headphones?"

miloblithe
Jan 28, 2005, 09:54 AM
Go color screens for the entire iPod line. Drop the "photo" name and simplify the lineup to only include 20,40 & 60 GB photo-capable iPods. For the mini, increase to 5GB and make slimmer in width, make 20 hours battery life.

I agree. Maybe keep the photo name for the 60GB and make it easier to interface with cameras, so that photographers can store their photos on it. (Maybe by selling small, cheap cardreader attachments that you can just plug your card into, upload the photos to the iPod and then put it back in the camera and start over.

whooleytoo
Jan 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
I wish every iPod included iPod Race! (http://homepage.mac.com/jscct/iMovieTheater17.html) :D

maxterpiece
Jan 28, 2005, 10:44 AM

You can add and remove things from the main menu in the Gen4 ipods. I currently have shuffle songs in my main menu. When I select it it automatically starts playing my entire library on shuffle.

Bibulous
Jan 28, 2005, 11:07 AM
Bluetooth 2 with an adapter to stream to my car cassette player.
Longer battery life even if it is 1/8" thicker

And a g5 powerbook...less new ipods, more new mac's!

Dave00
Jan 28, 2005, 11:07 AM
An acceptable method of uploading photos from flash memory cards. I have the Belkin adaptor, have used it alot, but it's simply not acceptable. Very flakey - you have to check to make sure all the photos have uploaded - takes a very long time to upload, and completely drains the iPod battery in 1-2 uploads of 256MB cards. I have no idea why there isn't a more elegant solution, especially given the availability of easy-upload in competing products. The Belkin adaptor feels like a Beta version of someone's class project.

-=- Dave

fraeone
Jan 28, 2005, 05:55 PM
AM/FM Tuner with the ability to pause/rewind/record the radio.

That would be glorious.