Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
California
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has used VNC Viewer on MacOS X (Panther here) to access a Windows (2000) PC over a gigabit ethernet or one of those fancy ethernet-over-Firewire connections such as FireNet.

I'm essentially trying to use my existing PC to give better performance than VirtualPC can, but to run it all from my MacOS desktop just like VPC would. I got an optimized VNC server for Win2K that pushes quite a few frames per second over my current 100Mbps network, but my Mac has this nice Gigabit port and also free Firewire ports, so I wondered how much improvement I might see by going that route.

When I say frames per second, I'm talking about viewing my PC desktop in full screen mode on my Mac, opening any random video and watching it. Currently it's viewable but a little choppy (much better than with the unoptimized server which failed to display any video being played).

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I tried to use VNC to control my WinXP home box... I tried to use Real VNC... which doesn't seem to support OS X. What are you using?

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
California
Right now my PC is running UltraVNC 1.0. It's the only one I found that claims to support high frame rates (and in my testing so far it does!). On the Mac I used one of the various VNCViewer programs and I also used Chicken Of The VNC. Both worked well.

Before I was using OSXVnc server on my Mac and accessing it from RealVNC Viewer on my PC. Had no problems. I have not however run RealVNC on the server and connected from a Mac VNC client. Now that I know UltraVNC does support good frame rates (even to Mac VNC clients) I have no intention of trying that other combination. :)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
California
It does. FireNet is available for both Windows and Mac. AFAIK though it only supports Firewire 400 -- then again, I haven't seen any Firewire 800 cards for PCs -- then again, I haven't been looking. :)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Mechcozmo said:
Windows I don't think supports FireWire networking...

Hmm...

Attachments

• 1394.JPG
    1394.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 881

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
vniow said:

Isn't that because you bridged it? Meaning that you combine two ports or something into one big jumbled mess?

I guess you can, then... but still, bridging is a pain. Caused my dad's tablet to not get a wireless IP because it wanted a wired one, although it was bridged. Anywho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.